GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I had been riding over in Madison Co. in North Carolina. We had left Hot Springs, NC on H-209 and just crossed back into Tennessee on H-352 in the Rockey Fork area.

I saw something black down over a bank to my right. Thinking it was a big black dog getting ready to chase the motorcycles. I slowed down and went to my left in the on coming lane. The bear came up over the edge of the bank and ran from the right shoulder of the road to the left side of the road. I had to swing right and went behind the bear and just missed him. He looked over his left shoulder either at my motorcycle or my buddies motorcycle as we passed.

Both I and my buddy guessed the bear to be about 200#. We have rode all over this part of Western North Carolina and NE Tennessee and seen a lot of deer and turkey but this is the first bear. I knew we had black bear in Unicoi Co. Tennessee but this is the first time seeing one up close.

This was about 5pm Tuesday. I guess bear move late in the afternoon like deer.

Terry Payne
NE Tennessee

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
I ride that road some, so I'll be careful in the future.

In fact, the day I met you and some of your buds was on 212 or 352 when I was over there with Galute and Gail. We had stopped beside the road to snap some photos near one of the local Christmas tree farms.

Hope that bear is headed into hibernation by now.

Be careful.

Bob E.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I came within 100 yds of 3 bears (1 at a time) in a 10 mile stretch of the Talimena Skyway about 2 weeks ago. In each of those cases, I came to a stop and watched the bears. One started walking my way before he saw me. He probably came within 50 yds before he noticed me and headed off into the brush.

That got me to thinking: Anybody know what the proper protocol would be if a bear is approaching? Honk? Yell? Flash the headlights? Mess your underwear?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Bears have notoriously poor eyesight, but an exaggerated sense of smell. That's why the bear didn't notice you until within 50 yards. You must have been downwind of him. Fred's right. I've seen a Kodiak charge up a hill like a locomotive - but that .308 stopped him dead in his tracks.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
145 Posts
jimwinger said:
That got me to thinking: Anybody know what the proper protocol would be if a bear is approaching? Honk? Yell? Flash the headlights? Mess your underwear?
Leave?! :shock:

Dave

·
Registered
408 Posts
jimwinger said:
Anybody know what the proper protocol would be if a bear is approaching? Honk? Yell? Flash the headlights? Mess your underwear?
After last Sunday, Matt Hasselbeck's response is fall down or throw an interception. :roll:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robeth, I remember seeing you laying in the road.

Robeth, It was about this time last year when we came up on you and your buddies making a picture of the double S curves on H-212.

We still laugh when we come through there. You will have to admit it was a funny site seeing you laying in the road and everybody else just standing around while you were making pictures.

I got on the radio and said to my buddies why is no one giving that guy in the road some aid. They are just standing around doing nothing. I could not see the camera on the little tripod.

It was just over in the edge of Tennessee from where you were laying in the road were we saw the bear.

I will always stop when I see a motorcyclist that looks like he is having trouble.

40ford
aka Terry Payne
:drive1:

·
Registered
464 Posts
jimwinger said:
I came within 100 yds of 3 bears (1 at a time) in a 10 mile stretch of the Talimena Skyway about 2 weeks ago. In each of those cases, I came to a stop and watched the bears. One started walking my way before he saw me. He probably came within 50 yds before he noticed me and headed off into the brush.

Pray he isn't interested in ya while your doin your drawers! :shock:

·
Registered
145 Posts
This summer we rode to Alaska, of course via the Alaskan highway. About half way up the highway we saw a young black bear eating yellow flowers about 10 yards off the edge of the highway. I stopped and my wife started taking pics. I whistled and the bear started walking towards us. :shock: The bear came all the way to the bike and started sniffing the exhaust. Of course I had it in 1st gear and ready to go in a heartbeat. At this point the bear was about a foot from my wife’s leg and she started yelling for me to go. I revved the bike a little and the bear jumped back and looked at us as if to say what the heck are you. I started down the road slowly and after about 50 feet the bear went back and started eating yellow flowers again. Just one of the many interesting things we experienced on the trip. :)

Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mid June of 05 I totaled my 03 Gl800 in Snowshoe Mtn area of WV avoiding a black bear. It came out of the high grass on the left. It was being chased by three dogs. Did manage to avoid it but bike went off into the left side of the road after leaving me in the road and righting itself. Was able to ride it 800 miles returning to home but all the plastic was busted. Mechanically it was sound and road very well. I thanked the Lorad that I missed him. I would have been banded up real good if I hadn't or that bear may have turned on me in the road. As it was only minor road burn on one knee.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Penmaker said:
jimwinger said:
Anybody know what the proper protocol would be if a bear is approaching? Honk? Yell? Flash the headlights? Mess your underwear?
After last Sunday, Matt Hasselbeck's response is fall down or throw an interception. :roll:
:lol:

DA BEARS!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Boy you is one lucky mofo the jellystone park ranger wasn't around. It's against the law to chase bears :wink:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Glad you didn't hit it!
I've seen 3 bear on Richard Russel Hwy (348) the last couple years, early a.m. never hit one though.
Last week in Blarisville at Depot Power Center while we were gettting a peg for bloodbought1, George the GM told me a guy just hit a bear on his new loaded '06 wing. He killed the deer and didn't drop the bike. Funny thing is I was there in the spring when he pulled up on his 1500 to trade in.

Steve

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
When I was a boy growing up in the mountains my dad taught me how to back track a bear he said the reason we learn how to back track is because we were not a lease bit interested in where it was going

·
Registered
182 Posts
animals

rounded a curve on a Potter Co. Pa. back road one afternoon and there stood a 6 or 7 hundred pound 4x4 elk. we stopped, he just STEPPED over the guardrail and walked slowly down through the woods. magnificent sight. diesel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts