GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my third Goldwing about 10 months ago with 112k miles. I really didn’t know what I wanted for a dedicated touring street motorcycle. I decided to hit the pause button and just enjoy my Africa Twin DCT. I emphasized DCT for a reason.

I get my dedicated street touring fix through an Eagle Rider membership whenever I need a 2 up street bike. $200 per month for 6 credits. My AT is strictly one up since I removed pillion seat and passenger pegs. I keep it set up for long distant and camping dirty rides.

I view the ER deal an even trade off since all my motorcycle depreciate at least 3k per year because I can’t keep my butt off of them

So in the last 10 months here is where my mind has traveled.

GSA 1250 - top compelling reason was the 8 gallon gas tank and the ability to go when the pavement ends. I tend to wander and drive down random roads on a long distant tour.

Downside: no DCT option. Shifting becomes so inefficient after 11am on a long ride. Also, I hate having a bike in a shop for maintenance. It would kill me to spend $1000 every 12k miles which would be about every other month during peak riding season. Also wife is accustomed to Goldwing comfort. She is not an adv gal

HD Roadglide - only the 114 or 117 engine. Top reason- I have grown accustomed to the thump of my Africa Twin and the exhaust note. Does tour well and fits me well. Performance is ok and technology is good. Easy to get fixed anywhere. I am very sexy on a HD because I look like a real big bad biker dude on the HD

Downside: no DCT option, the heat is a bear and suspension is lacking. On an air cooled motor I would expect a top end rebuild around 50k miles. Not a big deal but it is still a deal.

Indian Challenger- power great, electric windshield, very comfortable except for handlebars (this can be corrected easy). Great tech and stereo, but I wear ear buds most of the time. Nice exhaust note on motor, water cooled, but still warm. Great touring suspension.

Downside: no DCT option (do you see a pattern developing:). Very few dealers close to me and my riding areas.

2018+ goldwing tour - DCT, electric windshield and Honda reliability are my favorite features. Power is good, very little heat issues. Wife is comfy on GW.

Downside: I am not as sexy on a GW LOL engine is buttery smooth, not good on feeling engine coolness but good on long distance ease.

So for the time being I want to see if I can get 150k miles on my Africa Twin before I replace it with a 2021 AT. I am sure the stator will have to be replaced eventually, not a big deal. I currently have 65k miles, super easy to manage the suspension maintenance and upgrades. I also have electronic cruise control and an aux. gas tank on my 2016 so the new AT really doesn’t have anything important to me I don’t have now. I kind of want bragging rights on the highest mileage Africa Twin that will be worth what I can sell the tires for

I expect to buy a 2018+ Goldwing tour in the next few months:) just not in a hurry right now.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Come ride mine that has been Traxxionized. You will definitely be planning a trip up to Mountain Home once you feel the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SuperModerator
3,508 Posts
I thought we'd lost you permanently to the Dirtside! Welcome back, Big Bad Biker Dude.

Glen

Reactions: ssncob and MisterK

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I sold my third Goldwing about 10 months ago with 112k miles. I really didn’t know what I wanted for a dedicated touring street motorcycle. I decided to hit the pause button and just enjoy my Africa Twin DCT. I emphasized DCT for a reason.

I get my dedicated street touring fix through an Eagle Rider membership whenever I need a 2 up street bike. $200 per month for 6 credits. My AT is strictly one up since I removed pillion seat and passenger pegs. I keep it set up for long distant and camping dirty rides.

I view the ER deal an even trade off since all my motorcycle depreciate at least 3k per year because I can’t keep my butt off of them

So in the last 10 months here is where my mind has traveled.

GSA 1250 - top compelling reason was the 8 gallon gas tank and the ability to go when the pavement ends. I tend to wander and drive down random roads on a long distant tour.

Downside: no DCT option. Shifting becomes so inefficient after 11am on a long ride. Also, I hate having a bike in a shop for maintenance. It would kill me to spend $1000 every 12k miles which would be about every other month during peak riding season. Also wife is accustomed to Goldwing comfort. She is not an adv gal

HD Roadglide - only the 114 or 117 engine. Top reason- I have grown accustomed to the thump of my Africa Twin and the exhaust note. Does tour well and fits me well. Performance is ok and technology is good. Easy to get fixed anywhere. I am very sexy on a HD because I look like a real big bad biker dude on the HD

Downside: no DCT option, the heat is a bear and suspension is lacking. On an air cooled motor I would expect a top end rebuild around 50k miles. Not a big deal but it is still a deal.

Indian Challenger- power great, electric windshield, very comfortable except for handlebars (this can be corrected easy). Great tech and stereo, but I wear ear buds most of the time. Nice exhaust note on motor, water cooled, but still warm. Great touring suspension.

Downside: no DCT option (do you see a pattern developing:). Very few dealers close to me and my riding areas.

2018+ goldwing tour - DCT, electric windshield and Honda reliability are my favorite features. Power is good, very little heat issues. Wife is comfy on GW.

Downside: I am not as sexy on a GW LOL engine is buttery smooth, not good on feeling engine coolness but good on long distance ease.

So for the time being I want to see if I can get 150k miles on my Africa Twin before I replace it with a 2021 AT. I am sure the stator will have to be replaced eventually, not a big deal. I currently have 65k miles, super easy to manage the suspension maintenance and upgrades. I also have electronic cruise control and an aux. gas tank on my 2016 so the new AT really doesn’t have anything important to me I don’t have now. I kind of want bragging rights on the highest mileage Africa Twin that will be worth what I can sell the tires for

I expect to buy a 2018+ Goldwing tour in the next few months:) just not in a hurry right now.
Well Kevin,
You must have gotten the A/T bug shortly before I did. I gave up about 35 years of Wing piloting in April of this year and traded in my very, very nice Level II GL 1800 with a mere 38K on it, for a brand spank'n new, ZERO miles, 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT!!!!! I truly love that bike. I do miss some of the niceties of the Wing for sure. But, the nimblness and spirited attributes of that AT/AS/DCT are tough to beat, in my book.

My wife misses it more than I do. She rode in comfort behind me. Kitchen sink, TW, shower, sofa, oh, got carried away, needless to say, she was comfortable back there. She's not liking the AT very much at all, as two up. It took me about two city blocks to get used to the DCT when I was on a test ride of a Twin. Some AT riders said that, when I was gonna take a test ride, take at least a 2 hour one to get used to it. Well, as stated, just about as soon as I left the parking lot of the dealership, I knew it was for me. About 10 more minutes on the bike and it was a sealed deal.

Anyway, I still miss the Wing. I'm not in a financial position to be able to have both. And, if I was really serious, what I'd really like to have is a DCT TRIKE! Now that would be heaven.
Scott

Attachments

Reactions: MisterK

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is the AT DCT off road?
Incredible! I usually keep it in S3 off road unless I am doing a rocky hill climb then I go manual. My friends call it the billy goat because it just keeps going.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Kevin,
You must have gotten the A/T bug shortly before I did. I gave up about 35 years of Wing piloting in April of this year and traded in my very, very nice Level II GL 1800 with a mere 38K on it, for a brand spank'n new, ZERO miles, 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT!!!!! I truly love that bike. I do miss some of the niceties of the Wing for sure. But, the nimblness and spirited attributes of that AT/AS/DCT are tough to beat, in my book.

My wife misses it more than I do. She rode in comfort behind me. Kitchen sink, TW, shower, sofa, oh, got carried away, needless to say, she was comfortable back there. She's not liking the AT very much at all, as two up. It took me about two city blocks to get used to the DCT when I was on a test ride of a Twin. Some AT riders said that, when I was gonna take a test ride, take at least a 2 hour one to get used to it. Well, as stated, just about as soon as I left the parking lot of the dealership, I knew it was for me. About 10 more minutes on the bike and it was a sealed deal.

Anyway, I still miss the Wing. I'm not in a financial position to be able to have both. And, if I was really serious, what I'd really like to have is a DCT TRIKE! Now that would be heaven.
Scott
Sweet set up Scott!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Sweet set up Scott!
Thanks Kevin, much appreciated. I used to carry the Wing on the back of that coach but, based on the leverage effect and distancing from the rear axle, I was 2,600 lbs. OVER the GAWR of the rear axle on that coach! It handled it just fine for over 2 years and 8,000 miles. But, we changed to hauling the Wing on a Rampage lift/carrier in the back of our pickup and tow the pickup. But, the Wing's gone now and, we haul the A/T around. It's considerably less weight than the Wing.
Scott

Reactions: MisterK

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Incredible! I usually keep it in S3 off road unless I am doing a rocky hill climb then I go manual. My friends call it the billy goat because it just keeps going.
Just wish it was shaft drive. I hated dealing with the chain on my VStrom.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Kevin, much appreciated. I used to carry the Wing on the back of that coach but, based on the leverage effect and distancing from the rear axle, I was 2,600 lbs. OVER the GAWR of the rear axle on that coach! It handled it just fine for over 2 years and 8,000 miles. But, we changed to hauling the Wing on a Rampage lift/carrier in the back of our pickup and tow the pickup. But, the Wing's gone now and, we haul the A/T around. It's considerably less weight than the Wing.
Scott
Beautiful set up

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The BMW GSA has the "gear assist pro" AKA quickshifter available. I have that on my K1600, so the only time I use the clutch is at a stop. Might be worth a second look if you like the off road stuff. The new 1250 engine has somewhere north of 130 HP too. I'm not sure where you get $1000 for service, but I have spent a grand total of $525 on my 2018 K1600 since new (One dealer oil change, two oil changes by me, and a brake flush at an independent shop).

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wish it was shaft drive. I hated dealing with the chain on my VStrom.
Tutoro auto Oiler! I don’t touch my chain but about every 10k miles to spray it down with wd40 to clean. I also need to tighten chain, takes about 10 minutes.

I change chain and sprockets about every 18k miles.

I probably spend less time on my chain then I did with my gl1800 final drive. I would change the rear oil every oil change.

The other advantage to a chain for an adv type bike is I can find a chain anywhere if I have an issue.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The BMW GSA has the "gear assist pro" AKA quickshifter available. I have that on my K1600, so the only time I use the clutch is at a stop. Might be worth a second look if you like the off road stuff. The new 1250 engine has somewhere north of 130 HP too. I'm not sure where you get $1000 for service, but I have spent a grand total of $525 on my 2018 K1600 since new (One dealer oil change, two oil changes by me, and a brake flush at an independent shop).
I love the GSA! However the shift assist pro is nothing compared to the dct for my riding style.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Tutoro auto Oiler!
Had one. Never got the hang of the drip rate nor could I get the drip outlet to reliably stay in position. Returned it after 2 weeks and just oiled the chain every 2 tanks of gas. Shaft is just way easier to deal with.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you go the BMW GS route buy a low mile used machine. Tons of adventure wannabees out there who farkle them up and barely ride. You will skip the $3,000 a year depreciation.

I have put 110,000 miles on GSs and never ever go to a dealer but for warranty work. Buy the JVB dvds and learn how to do simple wrenching. A major service cost me about $100 in parts and 2 hrs time vs $900 at the dealer. Someday I will buy a GS911 tool so I can reset the service reminder. I've been saying that for 12 years. I will let a professional do the next valve check on mine, but it will be at a local independent for half the cost. BMWs are not at all expensive to maintain if you avoid the dealer. They are stupid expensive to fix when broken or crashed.

All that being said, I think an AT DCT is in my near future. Can't beat Honda reliability. I've got my eyes open for a 2018 Adventure Sport DCT.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you go the BMW GS route buy a low mile used machine. Tons of adventure wannabees out there who farkle them up and barely ride. You will skip the $3,000 a year depreciation.

I have put 110,000 miles on GSs and never ever go to a dealer but for warranty work. Buy the JVB dvds and learn how to do simple wrenching. A major service cost me about $100 in parts and 2 hrs time vs $900 at the dealer. Someday I will buy a GS911 tool so I can reset the service reminder. I've been saying that for 12 years. I will let a professional do the next valve check on mine, but it will be at a local independent for half the cost. BMWs are not at all expensive to maintain if you avoid the dealer. They are stupid expensive to fix when broken or crashed.

All that being said, I think an AT DCT is in my near future. Can't beat Honda reliability. I've got my eyes open for a 2018 Adventure Sport DCT.
The majority of adventure sports Twins with the 6.6 gal tank 2018-2020 have issues with a coating coming off in the tank clogging fuel filter.

If you get the ATAS scrub the tank. Happened to a riding buddy while we were in Carlsbad NM.

Honda is aware of the problem. They have the dealers scrub the tank and install new filter and pump.

Not a big deal, takes about 2 hours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts