GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out with two neighbor couples also with wings and my brother w/ his wife on a Moto Guzzi Norge over the weekend for a three day trip thru Maine.
My brother's tires were worn. On day one he punctured his tire, patched it and limped home.

End of day two my bike had noticable wobble at low speeds. Check the tires, my rear had 20 lbs of pressure and was completely worn out. I look at them prior to leaving for the trip and they looked fine, however, I didn't check the pressure.

Fortunately we found a honda dealer who had a set of E3's in stock. My wife also insisted that we buy a TPMS monitoring system as well.

Could have been worse.

Please remember to check your tire pressure regularly. Tires can wear out very quickly.

Lesson learned. The other couples were very understanding and patient.

·
Registered
989 Posts
That's the first to check before EVERY ride. I even check the pressure if I just
go down to the store...

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Out with two neighbor couples also with wings and my brother w/ his wife on a Moto Guzzi Norge over the weekend for a three day trip thru Maine.
My brother's tires were worn. On day one he punctured his tire, patched it and limped home.

End of day two my bike had noticable wobble at low speeds. Check the tires, my rear had 20 lbs of pressure and was completely worn out. I look at them prior to leaving for the trip and they looked fine, however, I didn't check the pressure.

Fortunately we found a honda dealer who had a set of E3's in stock. My wife also insisted that we buy a TPMS monitoring system as well.

Could have been worse.

Please remember to check your tire pressure regularly. Tires can wear out very quickly.

Lesson learned. The other couples were very understanding and patient.
Smart wife, then most of 'em are...at least smarter than we are :). Must be a [email protected] thing, when you divide your brains between two heads neither will be very smart.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I THOUGHT the new 2012 had a tire pressure monitoring system, but what it Really has is a very low pressure idiot light.

I've thought about buying a system that monitors the actual tire pressure and spits out an exact reading when asked. Can anyone recommend a good TPMS?

I am NOT going to get down on my hands and knees in my muddy driveway at home or in the gravel at work and check my tire pressure before running to the store! You can scold me, threaten me with imminent death or beat me but a studded paddle, but I still ain't doin' it!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I THOUGHT the new 2012 had a tire pressure monitoring system, but what it Really has is a very low pressure idiot light.

I've thought about buying a system that monitors the actual tire pressure and spits out an exact reading when asked. Can anyone recommend a good TPMS?

I am NOT going to get down on my hands and knees in my muddy driveway at home or in the gravel at work and check my tire pressure before running to the store! You can scold me, threaten me with imminent death or beat me but a studded paddle, but I still ain't doin' it!
Some of us use the Doran system. I think Z has 'em on all his bikes.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have this Tiregard Velcro'd to the Goldwing emblem near the ignition switch.

Get the bike rolling, push the button and voila instant tire pressure rear and front on same page. Push another button and wah laaaaa tire temperature.

Go a ways farther up the road and watch the tire pressures change as the tire heats up.

Last started out 32 and 36 and half hour and 30 miles later the rear was at 35 and the front was at 40

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
So, Grampawinger:

The TireGard looks simple enough. Is there a reason you have to be rolling before you take your first pressure reading?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Yup, that's what I have used for the last 2 or 3 years. Works perfect.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Agree

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have used tire guard for several years and it has worked well. Dash/ readout unit is NOT waterproof. The unit saved me while riding at SMRI two years ago. Unit will shut of after not detecting any movement for an hour or so and must be turned on manually.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll put a +100 on the TireGuard not being waterproof. Not a good choice for riding in Florida.

Got a Doran a couple months ago, notified me while riding that I was down a few pounds, piece of metal through the sidewall of a 4k mile old tire %#%$#$%# (last one had 3k miles before a construction razor took it out)

Best practice to check the tires before each ride, but the TPMS can save you some sweating during the ride, giving you a few extra seconds before it really goes to hell.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use the Doran, before each ride just hit the button and it reads out. Check with the guage and it reads the same. Can see pressure while riding with a push of the button. If the red light comes on you have a low tire. The only problem I had was the battery only lasted about two years but was sent two new ones free after a call to a great lady:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I always check before every ride.

Carry a portable air compressor to take care of the air loss when I check the pressure.
Over a while that little psssst will add up to a pound or two.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a Tire Watch TPMS, installed it when I put my first set of new tires on. My routine is start the bike, turn on the TPMS monitor, check it by the time I get to the first stop sign. Any time I feel anything funny while riding my eyes immediately go to the TPMS. If nothing else I have peace of mind that the tires have air. Once a week I spin both front and back tires (while up on the center stand) to check for any nails, cuts, whatever. I do all the above from reading this board and learning from the many folks that have had tire problems.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I use the Doran, before each ride just hit the button and it reads out. Check with the guage and it reads the same. Can see pressure while riding with a push of the button. If the red light comes on you have a low tire. The only problem I had was the battery only lasted about two years but was sent two new ones free after a call to a great lady:thumbup:
:agree: I have the Doran as well! I also wired it directly. It works great!! Highly recommended!

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
So, Grampawinger:

The TireGard looks simple enough. Is there a reason you have to be rolling before you take your first pressure reading?

Thanks.
I'll answer for him since he's probably still taking a nap :joke:

We've got the same system. The sending units that go on the valve stems go into sleep mode to conserve the batteries after you've stopped for a while (don't know how long before they go to sleep). The transmitters use little button type batteries, the receiver that shows the pressure uses a AAA battery. I've been using them for quite a while, still going strong.

As I recommended on another post, use some chartpac or similar waterproofing spray to lightly spray the receiver unit, as it is not waterproof. It won't make the unit waterproof, but will help with the water resistance. You can buy the unit from our board sponsor http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=44456&str=0

I've got an 02 model, velcroed mine up by the speedo - easy to see and out of the rain. Wouldn't leave home without it :nojoke:

Almost forgot - USE METAL VALVE STEMS !!!!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
So, Grampawinger:

Thanks.

That was one heck of a nap.:joke:

I must clarify what I mean by rolling in order to get a pressure reading.

SSNCOB is correct when he says that the Tiregard will go to sleep. My version, there is now an enhanced version, will only show an increase or decrease in 1 lb. increments.

If you push the button first thing next day you will see the tire pressure at the time the unit went to sleep.

The transmitter is MOTION SENSITIVE. A very small movement will cause it to show the tire pressure.

If you push the button and push the bike slightly, the unit will change to the tire pressure that you now have as long as it is more than 1 lb. difference from when the unit went to sleep.

So, YES, it is possible to check your tire pressure without rolling around on the ground and without getting underway.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I would never start a multi-day-2-up trip with anything less than like-new tires and tires that had been checked.

I'd say your guardian angel was hard at work.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Tires can wear out very quickly.
REALLY quickly! I had a rear tire that went from "almost to the wear bars" to "showing cord" in less than 300 miles. Luckily, I was within ten miles of home.

I keep a spare set of rims with new tires in my garage. If I am going on a trip, I will put the fresh set on. "Justin Case" is your friend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts