GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread a while back discussing the various methods and hazards of water crossings. In it I had mentioned my encounter with slime -- algae growing in shallow running water passing over a concrete dip. Running through this 2" of water I had almost lost it as my rear wheel had skidded out about 18" before the tire hit the dry concrete and grabbed again. Happened too quick to pucker.

So yesterday on my ride to Fallbrook I went down this same road, however, thinking "fool me twice, shame on me" I was alert and looking for those slippery when wet signs. I didn't expect any problem because this time of year almost all the creeks are dry, nevertheless, I was paying attention. I came up on the first sign and noticed that it gave me 300' of warning. As I approached I could see the concrete just discolored a bit and could see that there was a very thin layer of water flowing across it.

Normally, I would have paid no attention to such, but being forewarned I decided to stop and check it out. I stopped and my wife got off and walked across the wet area. I say "walked" rather than waded, because this water was at most only 1/4 to 1/2" deep. She was twisting her feet on it to test for grip and gave me a thumbs down. I got it rolling about 6 mph in first gear, being careful to neither accelerate or decelerate as I went through this 10' wide area with my feet down as well. Even with this caution both the front and rear wheels slipped, but I was able to nip it in the bud by a couple quick stabs with my feet. Then, as I gave it a little throttle to go up a slight upslope on the far side the rear wheel began spinning even on the dry concrete. After a short burnout, the slime was rubbed off and traction resumed.

When I stopped to check out the next one, a truck stopped behind me. I waved them around and the truck pulled up beside me and stopped. A couple of locals. We spoke about the slick areas and they said that cars frequently spin out in these crossings.

Let me just say that this is thoroughly evil stuff. It would not be any slicker if you had smeared a layer of bearing grease all over the road. These crossings are all well labeled with signs, however, had I not had my previous experience I would have thought nothing of this, especially in September. If anything, the slime is slicker with the shallower water than it was before. So if any of you encounter such, be careful, there's a thousand dollars or so of tupperware damage waiting with your name on it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Boat launches on lakes in the fall get the same way on the concrete ramps. The green algea slime is amazing. Get out of your truck at the ramp and you slip, fall, stub toe, twist ankle, etc. No tupperware damage however unless your beercan holder is plastic. :wink:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've seen guys on boat ramps try and pull their boats out on this stuff and actually slike right back into the lake!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats why I never ride my wing on a boat ramp

750valk

P

·
0 Posts
If you make a complaint to the 911 operator it has to be corrected. Use the system and ya can get it fixed.

Pat

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
where are these water crossings that you speak of?

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
gpick,

Why are you tempting fate by going back? California has more that one road to ride on. :wink:

later..Randy

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why are you tempting fate by going back? California has more that one road to ride on.
It's a great seemingly undiscovered country road (De Luz Rd.) that is close by and bypasses 15 miles of slab. I wouldn't do it when the rainy season comes, but I didn't expect any water at the end of the summer. Now that I am familiar with it, it is manageable. All of the other crossings, which still have water, have heavy grooves in the concrete. This one does not. All the rest are rideable. Maybe the next time I'll just take a brush and a jug of Clorox :lol:

However, I posted this as warning for slippery when wet signs wherever they are. Caution: you may get slimed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts