GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just curious if the Goldwings ODO remains accurate when running the Alpin?

I have heard the speedo and ODO have different levels of accuracy (most report with stock tires ODO is dead on and speedo reads 3% low)

Is 10 miles on the ODO 10 miles ridden with the Alpin in place?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have been using an Alpin summer tire for the last year or so.

I did an SS1000 IBA certificate ride last November 3rd from Irving, Texas to Troy, Michigan.

Odometer said 1266 miles Zumo GPS said 1232 miles..........34 miles difference.

1266/1232 = 1.0275974 = 2.76% difference.

When I cruise at 75 Zumo mph the Wing speedometer shows around 77 mph.

At 77 Zumo mph the Wing's speedometer shows a little under 80 MPH. (2.76%) = 79.1 mph.

gramps

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Oem tires and the alpin/any195/55 tire are practically the same circumference. Very little difference. Odo/ speedo no noticeable difference ( to me at least)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Oem tires and the alpin/any195/55 tire are practically the same circumference. Very little difference. Odo/ speedo no noticeable difference ( to me at least)
+1. No difference in OEM or Alpin according to GPS.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I did an SS1000 IBA certificate ride last November 3rd from Irving, Texas to Troy, Michigan.

At 77 Zumo mph the Wing's speedometer shows a little under 80 MPH. (2.76%) = 79.1 mph.

gramps

Thanks Gramps that about sums it up.

I'm running Butt Lite 7 next week and wanted to know what to expect at the ODO check.

Best,
Andy

·
Registered
831 Posts
spedo error

From what i can tell my Michelin Primicy Alpine run flat Zero pressure tire is about the same as the stock 180 60 16 tire that was on the bike when i bought it...I did notice that when i had my E3 70 series tire on the bike the Spedo was more correct.. That was the last MC. tire i used on my wing..

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

gramps
A lot more scientific , but I agree . I was 2mph also with different GPS units .

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Thanks Gramps that about sums it up.

I'm running Butt Lite 7 next week and wanted to know what to expect at the ODO check.

Best,
Andy

Good luck on the Butt Lite. 6 very tough rally days, but at least it starts in MN where it will be cooler.

gramps

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
A lot more scientific , but I agree . I was 2mph also with different GPS units .
I did not keep records while the Dunlop's were on the bike when it was new, but there was a 2 to 3 mph difference.

gramps

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I was under the impression that the newer GL's had the speedo corrected at the factory and were better as far as accuracy than the older models. Mine is an '03 and the speedo was always reading faster than the GPS. Going to a 70 series MC tire helped a lot, but was still off a bit compared to the GPS. I have since installed a SPEEDO-HEALER and am runnin the ALPIN and the speedo is now perfectly matched to the GPS, but for some reason I haven't yet checked the ODO against the GPS. If there is a discrepancy with that part, is there a fix to get the ODO corrected?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts