GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded to Alpine Sps-13C2 5.25" speakers in the front, and the new Infinity REF4012I, 2 way 4" speakers in the rear of my new 06 Airbag Goldwing...installed Bass blockers in the positive line of each speaker.

ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE...!!! Not much impresses me..BUT this was a very significant change.....the sound seems like it is running around all 4 corners of the bike, and with the IPOD music it is a very significant upgrade. The magnets are giant in size and when you put the stock speaker next to it...there is no comparison.

Just found the Infinities at Best Buy...price is 79.99 plus tax....85.59 total.

The Alpines are larger and when you turn on the power they are really awesome up front.....

Both speakers were "drop-in" installations.....and no cutting or grinding was required on my bike...I put some old foam pillow padding in the rear too to help prevent the sound from bouncing around in the plastic housings hoping it would project the sound out front better.....and it seems to help.

So, here are the makes and models that work well and the salespeople tell me that the Infinities are the best sounding speakers they have ever stocked....so....enjoy!

I can't believe Honda would sell a $20,000.00 motorcycle with the Audio system in it, and keep those cheap little $2.00 speakers made of paper with such extremely small magnets......what a rip!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sure would like to see some pics of this install. Many have written how great the '06 audio system is but I have to disagree. Anything above 40mph and the wind noise just drowns out the speakers no matter how I adjust the audio. And I don't like listening to music on the headsets, it gives me a headache. I suppose I could go without my open face helmet to listen to music but I don't like that tradeoff either.

Replacing the speakers is a possibility but would it overpower the wind?

Ed

·
Registered
694 Posts
Basspro,

What are bass blockers? Where did you get, how much, what do they do and exactly how were they installed on the pos leads? I have seen references to them but never followed up on them.

TIA

Austen

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
While I think the front are OK at best on my 07, the rears are really weak. The front definitely generate 80% of the sound. Maybe I'll give your rear suggestion a whirl and see just how much of an improvement they are.

Hope I'm not wasting my time.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Pics please.
I'm happy with mine - never owned a bike with a stereo so I have nothin to judge it from.
Over tones the harley's and those loud pipes too

Are the speaker water proof or outdoor?

Patrick

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
C Pilot:

Either your radio is broken or you are doing something wrong.

Take it to your Honda shop or compare it to some elses 06 or 07 Wing.

When you crank that puppy up, there is no way you could avoid hearing it.

I don't care if you are running at 80 mph between 2 trailer trucks.

Are you sure you have an 06 with the premium stereo?

Sounds more like an earlier, pre 06.

·
Registered
260 Posts
speakers upgrade

Does anyone know if these will improve my sound? I have a 2002 triked wing, not impressed with the sound. Don't know where to start without spending a lot of un-necessary money.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Base blockers do as the tin suggests. They reduce audio frequencys below generally 150 Hz that means the speaker is not saturated with low frequency high voltage signals and allows the speaker to appear to generate more sound.

Generally the more you pay the better the quality and performance of the blockers.

On a side note, having them switchable is a good idea. When parked up and just swanning around and listening at low volume the audio is enhanced cos you can hear better with out a helmet on!

Nigel

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can hear it at any speed up to 100mph!!

The 06 Audio System really cranks......these speakers I have posted are really unbelievable.....and I agree you would have to be stone deaf not to hear them at any cruising speed...

I took some pics of my installation and of the Bass Blockers if anyone wants me to send them to you....just e mail me...

[email protected]

I will gladly forward them to you I took the pics today...so all info is current....

The blockers are: PB As31, 0.3 KHZ 4 OHM.....about 30.00 for a set of 4 one for each speaker....if you are going to spend 150.00 to upgrade the speakers, another 30.00 isn't a lot of money to really get everything out of them you want.....they protect the sound from Bass distortion when using higher volume, and it gives you a cleaner sound..so it may be a worthwhile addition to your package...

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Don Swanburg said:
C Pilot:

Either your radio is broken or you are doing something wrong.

Take it to your Honda shop or compare it to some elses 06 or 07 Wing.

When you crank that puppy up, there is no way you could avoid hearing it.

I don't care if you are running at 80 mph between 2 trailer trucks.

Are you sure you have an 06 with the premium stereo?

Sounds more like an earlier, pre 06.
Ditto that. I have a 2006 and I think it sounds great. With autovolume on I can hear it just fine set to 10 - sometimes I turn it up to 15. I think it sounds great. I'm sure it can be improved if I throw some more $$$ at it but I like it fine the way it is.

The question hasn't been answered - are these new speakers made to handle exposure to the weather??? They will be hit with water eventually.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waterproof...yes!

Mine are waterproof, that is one reason I upgraded..the stock ones are made of a paper filament...and eventually water will cause it to weaken and maybe fall apart...the Alpines and Infinities...are all rubber type speaker material.....and the magnets are 4 times larger than the stock Honda speakers..

When you put them side by side....it is like a Model T Ford with 4 flat tires, being compared to the Space Shuttle on Steroids!!!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Basspro

Thanks for the feedback.

I just came back from Best Buy, $177 poorer for the two pair.

Didn't get any bass blockers though.

Now I'm wondering if those you bought were from there as well.

He showed me some and said how much bass do I want to block.

They had them in 3 ranges. Should I go back?

I don't work on my own bikes any longer, so I may have to wait till spring to hear them. NH weather dependent.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don, you have a PM....and yes the Infinitiys came from Best Buy...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I bought all 4 speakers but no bass blockers.

He had 3 ranges and I didn't know what to buy.

They were $11 per pair.

By the way, the salesman thought the Alpines were super speakers.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
AUSTENNN said:
Basspro,

What are bass blockers? Where did you get, how much, what do they do and exactly how were they installed on the pos leads? I have seen references to them but never followed up on them.

TIA

Austen
Bass Blockers: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TdW36ShYhR ... vs=T&g=761

For those interested, Alpine SPS-13C2 5.25" 2-Way Speakers (Pair) from eTronics.com, 49.99/pair with free shipping if you use PayPal.

Regarding the Infinity sppeakers, Best Buy has the same price as others online.

Bartman

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've been struggling with the upgrade to my speakers for a few months now.

I've ridden in a LOT of rain on this bike and the paper speakers look pretty bad. I'm sure the sound is the same. Not being an audio affectionado I couldn't say for sure, but I think it's time to upgrade.

Can anyone confirm the Infinity REF4012I, 2 way 4" speakers will fit front & rear of an '03, please? (Or I could remove one or two and just get off my a$$ and go to Best Buy?)

Back in a while...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thanks for the Crutchfield link. OK now if I was to try one which one would it be? Or you can teach me to fish and I tell me what effect each one has and I can decide for myself. I installed Sony Xpods with a Sound Storm 100 watt AMP. I appreciate your knowledge.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
AUSTENNN said:
Thanks for the Crutchfield link. OK now if I was to try one which one would it be? Or you can teach me to fish and I tell me what effect each one has and I can decide for myself. I installed Sony Xpods with a Sound Storm 100 watt AMP. I appreciate your knowledge.
Hmmm...interesting question. BassPro indicated that he installed "0.3 KHZ 4 OHM" blockers which is basically 333Hz. If I were going to get a pair, I would get the "PAC BB-300A2" from Crutchfield, but you also indicate that you have 100 watt amp. These blockers are only rated for 50 watts. So far, I have not been able to locate blockers rated for more than 50 watts.

I did find an interesting forum on Bass Blockers. You might want to read this: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/3044.html

Bartman

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blockers.....et al.....

Ok, my 06 with the speaker upgrade is all any normal man needs on his Goldwing.....an amplifier is just more money and weight on your wing.

Mine is soooo loud, I have to turn the volume down to 50% to keep the paint from falling off the walls in my garage.....the Honda radio seems more than adequate.

At first I thought the Honda radio would not have the power to drive these upgraded speakers....not so! They did NOT seem to lower the volume capability built into the stock radio.

So....just get the speakers....you don't need anything else...put your IPOD into them...and enjoy the ride with the music YOU want and like when YOU want it.....

I have a remote control just above my airbag, just push the button change the music up or down....etc.....a no brainer.

My blockers are made by Peripheral Tech Support...727-572-9255, ext. 230

Their web site is: www.peripheralelectronics.com

Tech Support is: [email protected] (Consumer)

Mine are: PBASS1 (Blue)......0-300hz, and 0-150hz....you can use them with your amplifier if you want...but again, I think the stock radio is way more than adequate for any application with these speaker upgrades.

So if you have money to spend...go get an amp. but do you REALLY need one????? Try this combo first and save your money....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The earlier wings do not have the power amp of the 06/07. That amp is located in the rear wheel well, under the trunk.

The early ones used 3 ohm speakers and, early on someone said you had to drive the aftermarket 4 ohm speakers harder. I don't know myself.

I was never floored by the performance of my 01 and 04.

I didn't get GOOD performance IMHO till I added the EC power amp and Polk/Alpine speakers on the 04.

I didn't get GREAT performance till I got the 07 wing.

Hopefully I'll get SUPERB performance with the speaker upgrade. If not, I'll have to settle on just "Great Performance".

Thanks for the pics and all the help, Basspro.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts