GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I will be heading to Big Bend area the last weekend of this month. We would like some information on places to stay in each city, your preferred place and why. Also the local amenities such as restaurants, bars, bike security near the lodging. And if that is not enough, we are both big eaters, so we need the " you've got to eat here places". Might as well throw in that "can't miss road to ride". We plan to ride 118, but are still determining the other rides. Thanks in advance.

Billy

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
West Texas

Just got back yesterday from Fort Davis and was in the whole area two weeks ago.
Hwy 118 from Alpine to Study Butte is great as is 118 from Alpine to Fort Davis (I really like this road). Hwy 17 from Fort Davis to Balmorhea is very nice until you get close to the interstate. 67 from Fort Stockton to Alpine is just a road. Do not miss the drive up to the McDonalds Observatory and I highly recommend the day time tour and the Star Party at night (Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights - keep your receipts from one to get a discount on the other). Nice curvy ride...... Close to Fort Davis I saw some BIG hogs, lots of javelina, many deer and aoudads...watch out. The river road (Hwy 170 from Persidio to Lajitas is a do not miss road also.

FOOD! good luck. Not impressed by much of anything we found out there.
We ate at Longhorn Steak House in Alpine and the food was good. My wife said the hamburger was really good and I had Chili Relleno's and they were okay (let me preface that by saying I am the only native Texan you will meet that doesn't like Mexican Food - especially Tex Mex). there is a restuarant on the main drag in Alpine that seems to be the main place for visitors but we pulled up and some Harley guys came out and gave it an thumbs down.
Fort Davis, we ate pizza (okay) and at the Chuck Wagon. Food there was okay (baked beans were very good) but the rest was just food. Seriously I have not found anything out there that just jumped out and said come back. You just don't have too many choices.
It is getting hot so plan accordingly.

Accomodations: We stayed in the State Park in Fort Davis with my brother in his fifth wheel. Security was not a problem. We also stayed at the Overland RV park in Fort Davis and again no problems. We were in Marfa looking for a place and met a couple of guys that said they had to park on the street and they felt fairly safe for their bikes (no other choice). You will need reservations...we camped behind a auto body shop one night because NOTHING was available in any of the towns. Simple precautions - remove the key, lock the wheel, cover it up a little and you should be fine. You might ask the hotel personnel to help and you could probably ask the local police to take a look when they drive by....everyone just leaves you alone out there because everyone is probably carrying. Most of the hotels are just basic types. We have always camped or stayed at RV parks.

Roads: Don't PASS a gas station. I left Ozona for Fort Stockton and my GPS said gas was available in 50 miles...station closed. We took 190 from Irann to El Dorado and there is NOTHING. Literally saw three other vehicles and no gas until El Dorado and then there were only two stations. This area is country...they close up early. Plan accordingly. Also the DPS has been running a speeding task force out there and we were on 67 from Ft. Stockton to Alpine and came up on a trooper in literally no where. It is a long way between places so just be prepared to slow down to the limit and stay there. Makes it easier to sigh see also. There is only one gas station inside the National Park but the speed limit is 45, so you will get great mileage.
Have fun. I love going out there.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I ride Big Bend at least once a year and base out of Alpine at the Sunday House Inn, http://www.sundayhouseinn.us/. Nothing fancy but big rooms at a good rate.

Here's a good article about riding the area with some maps. The route shown is the one I ride most of the time I go. http://www.hilliard.ws/bigbend2006/bigbend.htme You'll hit all the great roads on this route.

Post your time table and where you'll be, I'm off that weekend and just might show up!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian,

Thanks for the info. Right now we plan on riding down on the 28th, then riding the area on the 29th, 30th and riding back on the 31st. I wish we had more time to ride there, but the wife said no. As soon as we figure it out and I'll let you know.

MD11pilot,

Excellent information, I would love to get to spend a couple of weeks in that area riding. The wife of my boss had to move from the DFW area to Alpine for her health. He goes down a couple of times a month, but he does not ride, so I was looking for some additional information.

On another note, who do you fly for? I spent 17 years in aircraft maintenance for Delta in DFW. When they shut our facility down and moved everyone to ATL I stayed behind, the family did not want to move..

Billy

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
West Texas

I fly MD 11's for UPS and probably you have worked on some of the ones I fly. They are still MD11's and only you would understand that. I did passenger airlines (two complete shutdowns) and was blessed to get hired by UPS almost 22 years ago. Tough company but they make a profit. Just 5 more to go though and I am ready.
You guys have fun out there. It is beautiful in its own way.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just got back 2 weeks ago from there. In Marathon a good place is Marathon motel as they have a parking place for each room by its self. They also do a campfire each night for a get together. I agree with Sundays in Alpine, really big rooms. Do not go to Thunderbirds in Marfa as it has deep gravel driveways and is not MC friendly.
In Alpine there is a steak house called Buffalo Roses and is fairly good. Big bend and the Davis MT loop are a must see and I hope you enjoy

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I agree with the Marathon motel. Just go through town on Hwy 90 and just out of town on the right. Its very comfortable and the get together at the fire at night is a must. I would not eat at the Gage Motel, (its a long story). There is a Mexican restaurant in the middle of town but they close at 6 pm i believe. If you sleep late the next morning, head to Alpine. When the road splits and its one way west look to your right and try Magoos for some good Tex Mex breakfast. The loop road up near Fort Davis is a must. Look at the big balloon in the air out there. Its being used by the Homeland Security. It can pic up anyone 24 hrs a day a long way off. If you can get a room in the Big Bend Park at the Chisos Basin Lodge. Nice hiking trails and some good eating and unbelievable view into Mexico. It will cost you 10.00 per bike per day, or if your doubled up with a rider it will be 20.00. Just go through the park in one day. Should be in the 100 degree range so be prepared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts