GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on the board use the trailers built by Al's Motorcycle Accessories out of Centre, Al? I like the Piggy Backer and the price is right at $595, but the one that Al sells already have the swivel and a 5 prong flat plug and shipping is included in the price except for the $35 crateing fee. Can anyone tell me the quality of the build on al's trailers?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I got the little 8 cu ft one, have had people follow me and they say it tracks great and doesn't bounce around. Don't even know its back there. Have ran it up to 125 and it rides good.

Trailer is well built and comes with lock nuts for all the bolts, Beginning of directions suck for the frame, you have to sit there and play with it for a while to figure out what thier talkin about. All the wiring is there with thew flat connector, you still need to get the isolator with your hitch. Tim

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
get the Piggy 8) :!: the frame is welded,no bolts...
18 cu ft, lots of room, more stuffff :roll: :roll: :roll:
the Piggy does not bounce either, took it for a 100mi backroad ride, twisties, upsies, downies, RR tracks, hiway 100 mph, not even a flintch :wink: :wink:
checked the 8" tires when I got home, they were cooler than the E 3's :wink: :wink: w/ 35 # of air.
do a few improvements of your own...personalize the "Piggy"
I did not install the swivel hitch yet , but I will be buying it soon, a worth while investment :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Al's are good trailers, but are nothing more than the Harbor Freight trailer kit cut down as many have done in the past. They take considerable more assy to put together,and you have to make sure that they are straight and square during the assy process and even though not mentioned at assy. If you have access to a welder to weld the frame after the assy is complete. Then repaint the frame. This will take the guess work out of it coming loose, as it is bolted together the bolts should be checked now and then for tightness. The frame is thin channel not tube as the Piggy Backer is welded and painted tube. Easy two (2) hour assy and you on the road.

The Piggy Backer for the $595 cost for the standard model is unbeatable, and delivery is something like $55.

We just got back from a long weekend pulling the Piggy and no worries didn't even know it was back there and it was loaded to the top of the cover, had to use some slight pressure to get it latched, Approx weight was 525# packed plus the weight of the Piggy it self. When we go camping and to a rally we take all but a truck to carry things in. Within 10 miles we suited up for rain and pressed on in the rain and just before arrival the rain stopped. Two days later it started raining and is still raining. Every thing got there powder Dry and got home the same way. Except for the tents, we broke camp this morning in the rain.

Love My Piggy...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. I have done some more looking into this trailer and talked with Alen. The tralers he sells in kit form are bolt together but the ones he sell assembled for pick up or shipping (your choice) is made up of 2" sq tubeing. The carrer is a product of Hule and his swivel is a designe of his own and he says he has not had a problem with them in six years. The Hule carrier has a five year warrante on it but it does not have the metal band around it like the piggy does. I have been to see the piggy since I go to Easley, SC often. Guess I would probley be happy with eather one but I will have to go to Alabama to take a look at Al's to. Shoot a good excuse to take a trip.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I got Al's kit. it wasn't a problem to put together. .. I was able to do some of my own lighting and wiring (Al took care of my needs to do this) this is how it turned out.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts