GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the ADG and the alternator replaced at 30K. It's now at 60K and noisy again. Removed the alternator, sealed off the hole and ran the motor. Noise gone. No roughness noted in the alternator while it was off. Now the question is " will Honda replace it again under warranty"?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Ted, seems there is a rash of these happening... Yours has to be extremely frustrating! It seems it would be reasonable that Honda would admit they have a problem, but if past experience is and indicator of future activity, it might require a large amount of communication, coersion, and manipulation. Keep making noises until they do cover it...

Speaking of which, would you take a moment and describe your "noise" as I know there are at least two others on the board right now that may (and probably do have) ACG failures in various states of development...

Thanks, and keep us posted.

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Are you still under warrentee. Can you share why you think Honda will not cover it?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Ted, is this in your 07 trike? If so, it has the newer designed fluid drive damper. There's a test the dealer can do to check it without pulling the motor. It's in the service manual. Did they replace the front and rear bearings the first time? If not, maybe one of them has bit the dust.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike is under extended warranty until 2014. Honda repaired it under what they called " good will ". It took a lot of talking and some help from a third party who has some influence with Honda. A Honda customer service supervisor informed me that they felt I was no longer riding a Honda product because I had modified it by adding the trike conversion. I had to pay the difference in labor required caused by it being a trike.

The noise........ bike running in neutral, noise. Pull in the clutch, no noise. The noise sounds like small rocks tumbling around in a can. It has been making noise for some time since the repair.

During a phone conversation with the service mgr prior to the repair I advised him of the symptoms and he said no doubt it was the ADG. He also commented that he had done a lot of them. The tech that performed the repair said that the original alternator was a little noisy and he did not want it to foul up the job so he installed a new one.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
honda needs to more explicit in their warranty statement. If they do not want to support the trike builders who sell so many of their Glodwings for them, then they need to state out right that such modified bikes are no longer covered. Cutting of nose to save face.

prs

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The noise........ bike running in neutral, noise. Pull in the clutch, no noise. The noise sounds like small rocks tumbling around in a can. It has been making noise for some time since the repair.

Most Wings that i've looked at have a slight rumbling noise when the clutch is out in neutral. It goes away when the clutch is pulled in. What has that got to do with the ADG? Mine has made that noise for 166,000 miles.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Most Wings that i've looked at have a slight rumbling noise when the clutch is out in neutral. It goes away when the clutch is pulled in. What has that got to do with the ADG? Mine has made that noise for 166,000 miles.
Ed.Not the same noise!
This noise is not nice to hear,:eek:4:
Trust me it is way louder that a clutch basket rattle at idle.

Think "ball bearings in a washing machine".:nojoke:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
ok, Probly just me, but I'm confused. ADG rattle is/is not affected by clutch engagement/disengagement? My understanding was this did not effect the ADG noise and that was part of the diagnosis criteria :?:????

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
I don't think you have an alternator drive gear problem. Rocky, can you confirm this, did your's change noises like that with the clutch lever? That sounds more like a bearing or clutch problem.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Yep, that bearing does the same function as the pilot bearing on a car. It keeps the lifter rod from spinning while releasing the spinning clutch pressure. That being worn out would probably have this symptom and can be replaced in the bike. :thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I don't think you have an alternator drive gear problem. Rocky, can you confirm this, did your's change noises like that with the clutch lever? That sounds more like a bearing or clutch problem.

TD.Yes in my case the clutch lever did play a big part on how loud the noise was.The gears in the rear cover which are driven off each other will cause this.As in the Clutch basket gear.So taking the load off the clutch an visa versa will change the sound of the noise resonating through the other gears back there.

In my case after 1K the engine/ACG was then again quiet until I stopped again with the clutch lever held in.

Putting the bike in Neutral and releasing the lever would change the sound/rattle.

Ted.I remember clearly your issue and how you had to tow the bike a couple hundred miles to the dealer who "Did" the ACG replacement.

I'd make a case with Honda that their "Warranty replaced part failed yet again".I'd bring up the CA Lemon law and see if they want to buy back a trike??.
That might get their attention?.
Or maybe have them read this again. http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

Please PM me with an update on this.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Me thinks you ran across one of those highly skilled mechanics.

I walked into a home a couple days ago, the guy says my commode is loose from the floor, wobbles, just had it installed it is brand new.

I pulled it up, the PVC flange was busted, fresh new white cracks in the plastic.

Ham, ya know the ham fisted one had tightened the flange bolts and busted the flange. If tight is good, tighter is better kind of deal.

I was able to install a metal flange repair kit, good as new, stronger than new.

Maybe the phone rang, and it is backwards. Lol!!

Sorry for your trouble, not making light of that. But some of them......they do need guidance. And would do better working on a lawn mower, but that might be dangerous too, the mower blade might fly off.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Man kit,sounds like you are up to your elbows in sh*t alot,kinda like my job,that must be why i agree with soo many of your posts,we both do cust svc and see the "real" side of people that most people dont understand because they have never been there.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yep, that bearing does the same function as the pilot bearing on a car. It keeps the lifter rod from spinning while releasing the spinning clutch pressure. That being worn out would probably have this symptom and can be replaced in the bike. :thumbup:
Techdude and Rocky. My Wing has the very pronounced growl when the clutch is released, pull in the clutch and bike will idle dead quiet.... Any idea what it would take to replace the release bearing? Clutch is not original, was done by previous owner in 2006. Would like to fix it, as I dont like the sound... Definitely does not sound like ball bearings in a washer though...:p

·
Registered
337 Posts
Techdude and Rocky. My Wing has the very pronounced growl when the clutch is released, pull in the clutch and bike will idle dead quiet.... Any idea what it would take to replace the release bearing? Clutch is not original, was done by previous owner in 2006. Would like to fix it, as I dont like the sound... Definitely does not sound like ball bearings in a washer though...:p

hmmmmm..... any thoughts techdude or rocky?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

You only have one bearing in the clutch cluster assembly.(#27) http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2001&fveh=3502

I'd say by your description the #18 isn't helping the clutch pack stay as tight as it shoul.But if that were the case then you should also feel it lip as well at higher RPM's too??.

A little clutch basket rattle is the norm,but not excessive noise.

What is the mileage on the bike currently?.
Do you know why the OO changed the clutch?.
What parts exactly were changed at that time?

Another posibility is the slave cyl isn't relaxing enough,and it's Rod is resting or still touching the above bearing and causing the noise you hear? http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2001&fveh=3502

How often do you flush out the clutch/brake fluids?.

One must start with the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rocky, good info for my winter teardown/maintenance....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts