GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really cool ... got an ADG job in where both clips and the clip cover are all in one piece and the case does not have to be split :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can you explain further? I was under the impression that the case had to be split to repair the ADG. Is this something new?

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the rear cover comes off, and the ADG is removed and varified that clips and cover are missing or damaged, all the metal from them must be accounted for. Usually, they fall to bottom of the case and float in oil getting futher into the motor and not recoverable unless the case halves are split. Often all that has happened and the clips get chewed and mashed in the tranny gears turning them into many pieces likley to do futher damage.

I'm happy I don't have to split the case since I have another one in for ghost shifting that has its case split. My shop is small and 2 "case split jobs" is a lot at one time.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Mine was still intact, no splitting the cases. 10K since the replacement and all is well.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I am not real clear as to what happens when a GW needs an ADG job. I understand when the clips fail and the ADG is causing noise by moving back and forth and the clips have to accounted for.

But how does one know that the problem is the ADG and not just the broken clips? Or that the problem was JUST the broken clips and the ADG was still OK?

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not real clear as to what happens when a GW needs an ADG job. I understand when the clips fail and the ADG is causing noise by moving back and forth and the clips have to accounted for.

But how does one know that the problem is the ADG and not just the broken clips? Or that the problem was JUST the broken clips and the ADG was still OK?
Probably what happens is that the ADG begins to wear and fail from within. When that happens, an internal vibration begins to set up causing a tendancy for the clips to want to back out. They are inserted into a machined groove and are also under a spring pressure. In otherwords, during assembly, the ADG is pressed together exposing their grove, then the clips are installed, then the pressure released. The clip cover, holds the clips together so they won't want to come out of their grove. The vibration begins to seporate the clips and eventually the clip cover gives way. There is really no way to know a head of time that the ADG is beginning to fail. It is my understanding they all do from years 01-05. Some of the 06 and 07 too. Honda probably corrected the problem in 08 with their latest design.

Early symptoms are feeling an engin lugging noise as if the rider is starting out in a higher gear then 1st and/or at idle and 0 mph, feeling an up and down movement in the bike. Like riding slow on an egg shaped tire ... but you are not moving.

Greg-That clip should of been made if Titanium.Then it would never of failed.The metal is to soft for the application.That guy got lucky.:thumbup:
The clip cover ... I agree ... the metal is hardly stronger the foil.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Early symptoms are feeling an engin lugging noise as if the rider is starting out in a higher gear then 1st and/or at idle and 0 mph, feeling an up and down movement in the bike. Like riding slow on an egg shaped tire ... but you are not moving.
Greg,

Could you please expand on these symptom descriptions a little bit more?

I have what I call a low-pitched howling noise starting out in first when just letting the clutch out. It could be described as a lugging noise, I guess. Noise stops as soon as you get moving. (This is on a new-to-me 2006 with 56k miles on it.) Rides and drives fine other than that noise on starting off in first.

It's the second symptom you describe, the up-and-down movement of the bike at idle, that I don't quite understand.

Thanks very much!

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greg,

Could you please expand on these symptom descriptions a little bit more?

I have what I call a low-pitched howling noise starting out in first when just letting the clutch out. It could be described as a lugging noise, I guess. Noise stops as soon as you get moving. (This is on a new-to-me 2006 with 56k miles on it.) Rides and drives fine other than that noise on starting off in first.

It's the second symptom you describe, the up-and-down movement of the bike at idle, that I don't quite understand.

Thanks very much!
You may not feel it and don't know of others that have. I can tell you it is gone after the ADG was replaced as well as the marble sound. So I am going to make the assumption that it was related to a bad ADG.

At a stop, engine at idle, I had a noticable subtle out-of-balance feeling that felt related to engine idle speed. About 50 cycles per min. It was subtle and didn't feel normal. If you hear an engine noise that sounds like marbles, it would go away if RPMs are above maybe 1200rpms and there when turning the engine off as it reaches 0rpms

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
At a stop, engine at idle, I had a noticable subtle out-of-balance feeling that felt related to engine idle speed. About 50 cycles per min. It was subtle and didn't feel normal. If you hear an engine noise that sounds like marbles, it would go away if RPMs are above maybe 1200rpms and there when turning the engine off as it reaches 0rpms
Thanks Greg,

I have no engine imbalance at all at idle that I can either hear or feel. Nothing like that. I also don't hear any "marble" noise like you mention.

I just have a slight temporary howling noise when just letting out the clutch in first.

I'm guessing my issue is not ADG related. At least I hope not!

Thanks,

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Greg,

I have no engine imbalance at all at idle that I can either hear or feel. Nothing like that. I also don't hear any "marble" noise like you mention.

I just have a slight temporary howling noise when just letting out the clutch in first.

I'm guessing my issue is not ADG related. At least I hope not!

Thanks,
How many miles on your bike? When did the howling noise start? Is it there when on a center stand? Does it do it in nuetral?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Greg-That clip should of been made if Titanium.Then it would never of failed.The metal is to soft for the application.That guy got lucky.:thumbup:

Just curious, are the replacement snap rings from Honda being made of a better metal or are the replacements the identical same metal as the ones that have failed? Seems there should have been an upgraded design due to the numerous ones that have failed.

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are no part numbers to repair an ADG. You replace the entire unit. They upgraded to a different design in 2006 and again in 2008. It is beleived that the ADG issues are resolved with the newest design.

The newest design is a vicosius design (sorry, I am a poor speller). I am expecting this 2003 to have the alt whine of a 2006+.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Ever since my own ACG went out a few years ago I have watched these threads.What I have learned from reading and takling to the ownes is "No ACG will make the same sounds as it is self destructing?

What sounds like WingMan71 is describing is a normal "Clutch basket" sound as he pulls in the clucth lever.This noise can be heard more so in a garage or if it's dead quiet near the bike when idiling at start up,and then the clutch is pulled in as you are about to put it in first gear to roll out.

Remember in all the years from 01-10 there have only been 2 issues of noise with ANY GL1800 engine.

1) ACG failure
2) Transmission failure.

Both make totally different noises.

Some have hear a "ticking" that is fuel injector noise,but is not to be confused with a "Ratteling noise" at idle or under 2000-3000 rpm's.

Tranny gear grinding is in a world of it's own,if you can't tell when a tranny has gear trouble-Then you need stay in your cage..lol

So remember those two things.They are the only things that can make engine noise while they are both totaly different in feel and sound from each other.

Other than those two things.The GL1800 is bullet proof!.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
How many miles on your bike? When did the howling noise start? Is it there when on a center stand? Does it do it in nuetral?
Greg,

My bike ONLY makes this noise when starting to let out the clutch lever when taking off in first gear. NO other time. Not in neutral. Not on the center stand. Only when starting out in first. Bike has 56K miles on it. Just got it recently. One previous owner.

I think Rocky is right and it's just a clutch basket sound. See below.

Rocky said:
What sounds like WingMan71 is describing is a normal "Clutch basket" sound as he pulls in the clucth lever.This noise can be heard more so in a garage or if it's dead quiet near the bike when idiling at start up,and then the clutch is pulled in as you are about to put it in first gear to roll out.
Rocky,

This sounds more like what I'm hearing on my bike. And I usually hear it when next to the garage or someplace else pretty quiet. No vibration either, just the howling noise. Once the clutch is all the way out and your moving, the noise is gone.

However, I'm hearing it when I just begin to let the clutch out when starting out in first gear. Not when pulling IN the clutch. You still think this is a clutch basket noise, or maybe it's some other clutch issue. No problems accelerating in first or any other gear, just this noise when starting out in first gear.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input here. I just want to figure out if I have a problem that needs looking into, or if this is just a pretty normal sound for a GL1800.

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe it is clutch related then. I wouldn't think an ADG would be descibed as a howling.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky,

This sounds more like what I'm hearing on my bike. And I usually hear it when next to the garage or someplace else pretty quiet. No vibration either, just the howling noise. Once the clutch is all the way out and your moving, the noise is gone.

Bob.Start the bike up in nuetral on the center stand.Then listen to the noise,does it change when you slowly pull in the clutch lever,and then back when you release the lever.
If so then you are hearing the normal noise of the clutch bastet.

The Clutch is assisted by oil pressure on the GL1800,This is why when you are starting out in first the noise goes away as the oil pressure increases from idle up to normal operating pressure.

So sounds like what you are hearing is normal and nothing to worry about.:thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You mean we are talking about an eng that isn't even running? When the eng is not running, most would call it a squish noise when pulling in the clutch ... normal.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You mean we are talking about an eng that isn't even running?
Greg, we're talking about a running engine.

Rocky said to "start the bike up in neutral on the centerstand."

Just got back from a Sunday brunch ride with the wife. I'll try the center stand test later today. Pretty sure Rocky is right about my sound; normal clutch noise. Not ADG related at all.

Thanks guys ! ! !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts