GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to take advantage of the hdl parts sale,i need a alternator for my 2001 base model gl1800,when i choose this bike on the website it lists two alternators,which one do i order,whats the difference,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Interesting. I dunno, but will follow the post to find out. Maybe the alternate alernator is an updated version?

prs

·
Registered
563 Posts
It looks like the entry on the parts list for the alternator has just been duplicated, both entries show the same part number:- 31100-MCA-700 and this is also the number shown on my parts DVD so it looks like it is the correct number for a 2001 alternator.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Both part numbers are the same. 1st choice lists 31100-MCA-700 (Replaces 31100-MCA-003

Second choice is same as 1st

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup,has me baffled,only thing i am worried about is website says no returns on electrical parts :eek:4: OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like the entry on the parts list for the alternator has just been duplicated, both entries show the same part number:- 31100-MCA-700 and this is also the number shown on my parts DVD so it looks like it is the correct number for a 2001 alternator.
THANKS,guess ill roll the dice :rolleyes: OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
i bought the 2006 and up alternator, its been updated to put out a little more juice at idle, everything fits the same just an updated version :thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,193 Posts
cycledude, you may or may not see much difference. The alternator is upgraded, but the engine for 06 and up has 2 different gears in it that spin the alternator faster at idle as well as across the whole rpm range. So even with the upgraded alternator you may not see all of the potential output from it because it isn't spinning as fast as on the later bikes. Hey a little extra umph never hurt. :thumbup:

Can you tell a difference?

This one is cheaper than the 01-05s anyway
31100-MCA-A61

·
Vendor
17,367 Posts
Don't complicate it. Get the one the parts catalog calls for. 06 and up has a different ADG gear and most of us are in no position to try and out smart the engineers designing these things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts