GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... my first post.

nOOb to the site, not a nOOb to this style of forum software, not a nOOb to scoots but a first-time GL1800 owner so have lots to learn about these amazing bikes.

So I've got this "whine" and by all indications, it's most likely the alternator. I found out how to remove it "the easy way" but I haven't gone in there as yet. Just wondering what/how is it driven .... direct gear, belt, chain, what?

fyi 2003 GL1800a

Thanks in advance for your feedback :thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Welcome to the board! It's gear driven thru the ADG/ACG which is a damper assembly. Most of them whine, so your's may be normal. Some are louder than others. Best thing to do is find another 1800 locally and listen to it run.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the board! It's gear driven thru the ADG/ACG which is a damper assembly. Most of them whine, so your's may be normal. Some are louder than others. Best thing to do is find another 1800 locally and listen to it run.
Thanks guys ... and, if I find another GL1800 and listen to it run, will that stop mine from whining... (oh how I wish LOL)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Thanks guys ... and, if I find another GL1800 and listen to it run, will that stop mine from whining... (oh how I wish LOL)
:lol: Nope but at least you have a sense of humor! If your's is alot louder, then you'll know for sure that your's has a problem.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: Nope but at least you have a sense of humor! If your's is alot louder, then you'll know for sure that your's has a problem.
thanks, and what problem(s) might I be up against (IF it does have a problem)?

I've listened to several youtube vids, etc and most sound about the same... but those are not necessarilly an accurate way to compare.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My 2002 had quite a bit of alternator noise, but I just got used to it.

My 2007 has twice as much noise, and I just got used to it.......it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
525 Posts
hope this might be helpful

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2002 had quite a bit of alternator noise, but I just got used to it.

My 2007 has twice as much noise, and I just got used to it.......it's the nature of the beast.
Yes, I've researched this on a few forums, including this one and that seems to be the general "response"; however, I'm just not one for accepting such an answer until I have exhausted any reasonable alternative(s).

I had a 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture for 3 years. Got it when it had 1,300 kilometers on it ... it had a "clutch basket whine" which was a common issue with those bikes. Many folks who had the whine suggested similar ... "get used to it", "wear ear plugs", "put loud pipes on", "crank up the tunes", etc etc. There is no "for sure" fix for that issue but there is one that "might" reduce or eliminate it so that's the route I went. It did help a lot... maybe 50% reduction in the intensity of the whine and also moved it to a slightly different rpm range .... I was able to "get used to it" after that (most of the time).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the board!
Thanks!

We need a "Thanks" button so we can thank someone without having to create a new post.

Anyhoo ... whine or no whine, I sure do like this Wing. Wife has named it " Punk'n " LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts

So lucky with motorcycles aren't we? If I go out and find another woman my wife whines LOTS more.. grumbles, groans.. and some other noises that ear plugs won't help with.

Bill

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So lucky with motorcycles aren't we? If I go out and find another woman my wife whines LOTS more.. grumbles, groans.. and some other noises that ear plugs won't help with.

Bill
Wait a minute.... I just discovered that the whine is gone ...

.... shopping!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
All joking aside, if your whine is extreme, it could be the bearings in the alternator itself. If you start the bike without the alternator, the whine will be gone, but so will the load and the possible bad bearing. The drive gear unit inside the case will be as quiet as a mouse without the load of the alternator. If you pull it off of the engine, spinning it by hand might give you a clue to the bearings condition. How many miles are on this bike? Is this the original alternator?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I had a long distance wing rider tell me its not alternator whine, its the reason they put a decent radio on the wings. Just turn up the tunes and ride it. If it is going bad your voltage aftermarket meter will tell you ....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All joking aside, if your whine is extreme, it could be the bearings in the alternator itself. If you start the bike without the alternator, the whine will be gone, but so will the load and the possible bad bearing. The drive gear unit inside the case will be as quiet as a mouse without the load of the alternator. If you pull it off of the engine, spinning it by hand might give you a clue to the bearings condition. How many miles are on this bike? Is this the original alternator?
I will be looking at that in about a month, after I park it for the winter. The bike has 151,000 kilometers (appx 94,000 miles). Since I just got it, I don't know about it's history but am hoping the PO gets back to me with some info. I bought it at a dealer (non Honda) where it was traded in. I don't think it's extreme but that is a matter of interpretation. Once I am rolling and especially beyond 20 or 30 mph, I don't notice it much at all, although I can hear it. It is loudest when idling, clutch lever in or out, makes no difference.

Thanks for the "tips" and pics guys, for now I will just have to "get used to it" LOL

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I'd say Techdude is correct.at this mileage I'd say a new set of bearings and brushes and a good cleaning will get rid of most of what you are hearing.But on the other handf guys have changed alternators at around 100 due to them failing,

So not knowing the bikes history,"When if at all was the Original alt replaced?"
If it has never,Then that bike certainly got it's use out of that Alt.

Guys have had good luck with a NEW Alternator on ebay for $159 instead of $300 plus for a OEM alternator.

So do you live with the noise until it pukes,or refresh the bearingfs/brushes now to see if that helps the noise level?
Or just replace the Alt and keep this one as a spare down the road.

Now what to do?? Hmmmm:shrug:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts