GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So do you live with the noise until it pukes,or refresh the bearingfs/brushes now to see if that helps the noise level?
Or just replace the Alt and keep this one as a spare down the road.

Now what to do?? Hmmmm:shrug:
Considering that my insurance runs out on Oct 14 and considering that we generally don't get much nice weather this time of year (I only get time on weekends to ride so the likelyhood of getting a nice weekend between now and Oct 14 is slim) .... I'll hold off pulling the alternator.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Thanks guys ... and, if I find another GL1800 and listen to it run, will that stop mine from whining... (oh how I wish LOL)
Probably not, but it might make you stop whining. :joke:

Welcome abOOrd.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Probably not, but it might make you stop whining. :joke:

Welcome abOOrd.
thanks for the "warm" welcome! :tongue: :bow: :a13:

·
Vendor
19,604 Posts
Just a note to those aftermarket alternators, often they are not repairble. Or, the parts to repair them are not cataloged. Not sure if that is the case with the ones on eBay.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Just a note to those aftermarket alternators, often they are not repairble. Or, the parts to repair them are not cataloged. Not sure if that is the case with the ones on eBay.
Ahh once again Greg your compulsiveness to spread misinformation got the better of you. :wrong:

Every vendor on ebay sells NEW alternators.They all offer a 1 year warranty. HONDA does NOT!

Anyone who had ever installed a alternator knows that if it works when you first install it,then you are no better off than buying say a GM or Honda alternator.
We all know they will last at least until the warranty runs out.

All the Vendors on Ebay can and do rebuild the Alternators they sell.You try and get a dealer or Honda to do that to the OEM alternator.:eek:4:

So my question to you is:
"Do you know how long Honda will warranty there alternator?" :shrug:

I do.:thumbup:

·
Vendor
19,604 Posts
Rocky .. thanks for the info. When I managed GoodYear Service centers we sold "new" alternators ... at a huge savings to the customer. But they were not OEM new but reproductions of some sort. In the sense stated above, it was not that they wern't rebuildable, but if you had a '85 Regal, and went to Napa for a OEM style bearing or a brush set, they would not fit the so call "new" alternator. So the challenge was finding parts that would fit one ... sometimes that proved not worth the effort of trying.

I understand that most on this board are installers. I come from the old school and am a rebuilder. So in my case, having a "repairable" one where I can pull the needed parts from my inventory is important to me. Most just want a unit to install ... but some of us came from the days when everything was rebuilt and want rebuildable alternators with available parts to repair them with. So my message above was wrote for the few on this board that are more like me when it comes to repairing GW.

I did just look on eBay and all those now say OE or OEM. At first those same ones, or from that same supplier, did not say that. So those should be rebuildable from OEM Honda part. Does anyone know if they come in a Honda box?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Greg.That was then and this is now.

You can get a whole Alt off ebay NEW for the price of a OEM Regulator from Honda.So not hard to see which direction and ease of time/replacement one would take in these times.

Yes if rebuild parts were like the old days,I could/would do it myself,But these aren't the old days.

If you priced the parts seperately for a Honda Alt.it would cost 3 times what a new oem alt costs! and no warranty to boot.

So now the Ebay alt with a one year warranty for $159-$171 starts to look real sweet and you can pull and install a alt in less than an hour.It's a no brainer!

As for OEM parts in the old days.
Well I had a new GM crate motor knocking one time right off the batt after installing it.(yeah oil was poured in it-lol)
After I pulled it back out the Dealers service manager we bought it from came over and had me pull the pan to see what was the problem per GM's request!.
We found Cyl #6 connecting rod only had one half of it's two piece connecting rod bearing on it.
So Much for OEM huh.:shrug:
I learned years ago OEM isn't all it's chalked up to be when Humans are involved."Things can go wrong" :eek:4:

Oh yeah.GM paid me because I had to pull their defective "New OEM crate motor back out".:thumbup:

·
Vendor
19,604 Posts
Has anyone that bought one of these alternators know if it came in a Honda box?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Thanks guys ... and, if I find another GL1800 and listen to it run, will that stop mine from whining... (oh how I wish LOL)
Finally someone agrees with me

Listen I have Premium sound on my bike and cant bare the sound of the alternator so I don't use the premium sound, I result in the use of ear buds.

This pisses me off to no end. when I was a kid I had that dreaded chevy
whine through the speakers do to a after market equilizer ( i suppose some filter of today's standards might have fixed it, but I added filters back in the day and no help).

Worse yet the new 2012 wing has a fluid drive alternator, I've yet to get anyone to post any valid info to my post on this new alt design. I guess all these old folks are deaf and the whine does not bother them.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Greg.That was then and this is now.

You can get a whole Alt off ebay NEW for the price of a OEM Regulator from Honda.So not hard to see which direction and ease of time/replacement one would take in these times.

Yes if rebuild parts were like the old days,I could/would do it myself,But these aren't the old days.

If you priced the parts seperately for a Honda Alt.it would cost 3 times what a new oem alt costs! and no warranty to boot.

So now the Ebay alt with a one year warranty for $159-$171 starts to look real sweet and you can pull and install a alt in less than an hour.It's a no brainer!

As for OEM parts in the old days.
Well I had a new GM crate motor knocking one time right off the batt after installing it.(yeah oil was poured in it-lol)
After I pulled it back out the Dealers service manager we bought it from came over and had me pull the pan to see what was the problem per GM's request!.
We found Cyl #6 connecting rod only had one half of it's two piece connecting rod bearing on it.
So Much for OEM huh.:shrug:
I learned years ago OEM isn't all it's chalked up to be when Humans are involved."Things can go wrong" :eek:4:

Oh yeah.GM paid me because I had to pull their defective "New OEM crate motor back out".:thumbup:
I agree Rocky NEW (part) means new not good.
I work on a lot of cars and even test sensors with lab scope and find sometimes the new part is junk. Considering everything is made in china or Mexico, my own opinion is no wonder.

Just my two cents

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,086 Posts
Finally someone agrees with me

Listen I have Premium sound on my bike and cant bare the sound of the alternator so I don't use the premium sound, I result in the use of ear buds.

This pisses me off to no end. when I was a kid I had that dreaded chevy
whine through the speakers do to a after market equilizer ( i suppose some filter of today's standards might have fixed it, but I added filters back in the day and no help).

Worse yet the new 2012 wing has a fluid drive alternator, I've yet to get anyone to post any valid info to my post on this new alt design. I guess all these old folks are deaf and the whine does not bother them.
The 06-2010s also have a fluid dampened drive. They still whine. The drive isn't the source of the whine, the alternator is the source. Some of them whine really bad, some not so much. :shrug:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts