GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 gl1800 with a noise like grinding on the left side. It seems worse when its cold and I hear it worse when I let out the clutch. I thought it was a problem in the clutch but the dealer, where I left on Dec. 22nd said the Honda Rep and mechanic took the alternator apart and ordered a new one, then after installation it has same noise in engine now they say engine has to be removed to replace a dampener for the Alt. It is frustrating that the bike only has 6900 miles and only 4 months old. Has anyone had this problem and how did it come out.
Thanks Ken

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Ken,
Sorry about the major surgery for th Wing.
I had it happen on my 1500 when they came out in 88.
Just about the same story. Noise around the alternator.
Here's the funny part.
The Honda Rep listened to it,
told the dealer to take the engine out and replace a couple gears
and see if that didn't fix it.
I was fortunate that I knew the dealer mechanics well and was allowed to assist with the R&R of the engine.
That did not fix the problem and the Rep
told the factory and they told the engineers,
and the next week there were four Japanese
guys at the dealership, all wearing white lab coats and
only one of them talking any English.
Seems they were the engineers that designed the 1500 engine
and it was one of the first one's to have a noise they could investigate.
It ended up being a beveled thrust washer on a shaft, that had been put on backwards in assembly. Go figure.
I tell this long story to make this point.
The engine was out of that bike twice in it's first few thousand miles and
I thought it would never be like new again. I was wrong. That bike
ran flawlessly for the next four years. So, if you have good people doing the work,
there is no reason your bike won't come out of surgery as good as new.
I do suggest you watch the work if you have the opportunity and do a thorough walk around inspection and systems check of all functions when you get it back. Nobody makes mistakes on purpose, but stuff happens and you want to cover all bases when it comes to safety.
Let us know how it comes out.
DC

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I would remove the tupperware when you go to pick it up. Look around very well for mis run wires etc.

Isnt the 06 when they started with that dampner in the alt?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
TallmanInAl said:
I have a 06 gl1800 with a noise like grinding on the left side. It seems worse when its cold and I hear it worse when I let out the clutch. I thought it was a problem in the clutch but the dealer, where I left on Dec. 22nd said the Honda Rep and mechanic took the alternator apart and ordered a new one, then after installation it has same noise in engine now they say engine has to be removed to replace a dampener for the Alt. It is frustrating that the bike only has 6900 miles and only 4 months old. Has anyone had this problem and how did it come out.
Thanks Ken
Sorry About your down time. However would you rather had them say that they all do that! and do nothing?
That Is the standard of service most of us get at our local honda lawn mower shop.

Be very thankful they are at least working on it for you-- Hope your New Year gets better :)

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
TallmanInAl said:
Thanks Ken
There's no way I can tell you that our problems are exactly the same but my 03 had exactly what you describe. The bike has been in the shop since last Sept 10th and I still don't have it back. The problem turned out to be mismatched gears on the gearshaft that drives the alternator and requires an out of frame tear down. The bill is climbing way past $6K as we speak and I still don't have my bike back. I get a sickening feeling that somehow things aren't going to be right when, if ever, I get it back. The insurance guys who are covering this repair also wanted every single gear ,bearing and shaft associated with that replaced while they had it down. The bike has about 15K miles on it. Fortunately, I had bought an aftermarket warranty to cover everything on the bike sans tires and battery until 2009. It ought to be the equivalent of a new engine by the time they finish...if they ever do. In the meantime, I bought an 06 to ride while it's in the shop and it will be for sale when I get mine back...if I ever get it back! In summary, let me wish you good luck and hope you don't have to go through what I have been through !

·
Registered
118 Posts
There are 2 noises related to the alternator damper
The one that I had in a unit now going back together (new gear was on back order for 6 weeks) was a loud knock at idle and just above. The knock would go way when the rpm raised above 1500.

The other noise is a whurring kind of noise... had one of those at another shop I worked at @ 5 years ago. It was due to additional spacers that were mistakenly installed at the factory. There is supposed to be 1 concave spacer/washer and this bike had 3 of them. It put additional pressure on the gear when the rear cover was installed.

In either case the engine has to be removed to repair the problem.

The new gear I got from Honda no longer has the 2 piece retainer that was coming off. It's now a 1 piece. We are almost ready to start the engine... will see how it goes<G>

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New update on ALT noise

The alternator was replaced and still had noise in engine. Noise was gone when the engine was cranked without Alt.
The Gear was replaced in back of engine and still has noise. The mechanic and service advisor try some shims on 2 of 3 bolts that hold on ALt and got quite a bit of the noise out. He says it sounds like the 02 GL1800 now but American Honda wont approve shimming the Alt. He has asked for some help from the Tech at Honda and they are stumped. He says he wants to replace the rear cover in case it is out of plane. I called American Honda to file a complaint over the way it has been handled,my first contact with Honda, and they show no remorse or symphany. This has turned into a month long repair and has no end in site. If you own a 06' and have a noise like a grinding on the left side I urge you to seek dealer help before the Alt goes out completly.
I will post more as it becomes available.

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
I think the shim trial was ok as a diagnostic technique (a bit shade treee, but logical), but not as a repair. The case mounting surface should be checked to see if it is warped and if not, the alignment of the mating gear cluster within the gear case should be considered.

prs

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ken, I have the exact same problem as you do. The problem has been there since the bike was new. Not being familiar with the 1800 I rode it awhile before I questioned it.

The dealer I took it to some months back agreeded something was not right. They contacted Honda and Honda seemed to know exactly what they were describing to them. Honda, at that time didn't say exactly what was wrong, but said they would fix it. However, they said the engine had to come out, but driving it would not cause any damage.

This was in the middle of the driving season so I have let it go. I now need to bite the bullet and take it in. I just hate the fact that the engine has to come out. They told me it would take a couple of weeks to do the work.

By the way, I now have over 11,000 mile on the bike with no change in the sound. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As Rosanna Rosannadanna said, "There's always something."
Thank God for the warrenty!

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I am sorry to hear of all these problems on some GL1800's.... it sounds like Honda's robot engine builders needs some calibrating...

cosmic

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 06 and it makes a "knocking" noise when first started and after 1-2 minutes it goes away. the noise seems to be coming from alt. area. i asked 1 dealer and he said that he has seen a lot do it. is this the same as anyone else?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ALt Noise

Well it’s come from the techs mouth from American Honda.
“We know we have a noise with the new larger output Alternators but the noise is an acceptable level and is not a rideabilty problem.”
They told dealer to remove the shims because it was probably putting the Alt gear lash in a bind so that is why it’s quieter. But when they loosen the bolts it quiets itself.
I still am not satisfied and filed the complaint with Honda. I have requested a meeting with my area dealer rep next week to listen to the bike again since he was the one who agreed it was noticeable loud and agreed to replace the dampener gear. I have ridden several 06 wings and haven’t notice the noise and the dealers has 2 more with the same noise so he will have problems explaining that they can’t repair it.
I talked to the mechanic about warranty and he tells me that they pay 8 hours for the repair and he has 25 hours plus invested so far.

Ken Gray
Fairfield Al

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got it back

Pick up the wing on Feb 3rd and same noise if not louder, probally because I listen to it now. I have waited for the Honda Rep to call me but no reply as of date. I am looking into the Lemon Law in my state to see if it will apply and starting to take it back next week with the same complaint. Have to let them correct it 3 times before it falls in Lemon status. By the way if I read it correctly they have to pay for any acessorys I have installed.
I have offered the rep to buy it back and I would pay difference for an 07' wing but he couldn't offer that as to date. I think Honda should buy the wing back and tear the engine apart to see what is wrong. This is a gear sounding problem the rep has stated. Well we'll see what happen's.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Please keep us informed. Here is what I would do in the meantime. Find this out if you can before you meet with the Rep. Find as many people that have had this problem and what was done to correct it. Did Honda fix it under warranty? If so ask the Rep why Honda will fix certian bikes, but not mine. You MUST not get an attitude. Remember he is a human being just like you and I. Treat him with repsect and you will get alot more help. Just please dont go in with a chip on your shoulder or your doomed from the start. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My '06 will be a year old in about 3 weeks. I rode one in Daytona last year and was so impressed I came home and had to buy one. My bike has been making that grinding noise from the clutch area since day one and it now has about 33K miles. I assumed that the noise was normal (??!!). Hope if its going to fail in a big way it does so before the warranty runs out. Meanwhile I'll just keep the radio turned up and keep on rolling up the miles.

p.s My previous touring bike sounded like a threshing machine going down the road and logged almost 90K miles without a hitch.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Well it's fianlly over! What's over? I finally got my bike back after 5 months in the shop. My bike went in for repair of the supposed alternator gear fix on Sept6th,2006. I got it back on Feb 5th, 2007. There were many hours of frustration during this episode. Not only for me but for my insurance and my dealer as well. There were a lot of delays by Honda, my insurance and my dealer. Compounded they almost drove me to buy a BMW. That's getting pretty bad ! In all fairness though, I kept my cool and now the bike is probably better than new and NO noise at all from the engine. First off it was thought that the noise was coming from the alternator drive gear so this was replaced. $1000 later and 2 weeks and an out of frame teardown and the noise was no better. My insurance paid this but now demanded to be in the loop with their own mechanic to be sure of what was being billed. So out comes the engine again. Then after a careful review and measuring nearly every gear and shaft in that engine nothing was found out of order. Honda service rep was in the loop at this point as well. My insurance company did not want to pay for yet another costly engine teardown so they wanted every single shaft,gear, and bearing associated with that system replaced. This took a massive amount of time because Honda did not have all the parts available. There were over 100 parts ! Finally when all parts were assembled and the engine replaced and the bike pronounced ready to go, it was found that at the last minute, the bike would not go in and out of reverse! The engine had to come out a third time as it turned out something regarding that reverse gearset was obviously installed incorrectly. The mechanic admitted his error much to the credit of the dealership. They got this turned around in a week. The magic day comes to pick up the bike but by this time I am imagining all sorts of problems, mostly aesthetics. All the plastic would be chipped and surely the paint would be scratched not to mention some things not working correctly so the pickup was not an enthusiastic event that one would think it would be. Nevertheless, I had to get it and after a precursory check ride it seemed safe enough. I spent the first couple of hours on the way home trying my best to find something, anything! I stopped often and looked for scratches, missing bolts, even took the side panels off looking for misrouted wiring harnesses. Absolutely nothing wrong! And best of all, the bike ran quieter than I had even known since then. I have ridden on several trips since and all is well. The insurance company has spent over $6600 for all repairs and I know for a fact that the dealership has absorbed a lot of time and money as well.
Now I have to say this. The CEO of my dealership which is a consortium of dealerships from Florida to California personally called me about two weeks before the bike was done. He took most of the responsibility and was most truthful and up front as any one I have ever dealt with. This is truly a very creditable organization I believe. The folks at the dealership were very good as well as the mechanic. In summary ,I think that everyone was a victim of circumstances here that got blown out of proportion partly because of my own insurance company as well as Honda not being able to come up with parts to an engine that they build every day. The dealership also gave me a $300 gift certificate to use any way I wish.
I also need to say that every part that came out of that engine were well within specs. It is actually unknown at this time what was causing the noise. The parts went back to Honda for factory analysis and it is doubtful that we will ever really know what they find...if anything.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
W7AX,"My insurance company". Please tell about insurance to
cover motor repair. galewing

1 - 20 of 35 Posts