GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Honda GW. I traded a new Harley Triglide for a 17 GW with a Roadsmith trike kit. The Honda performs better and the trike addition rides great.(independent suspension as apposed to a straight axle)
My question is there is a noise coming from the alternator. It is not very noticeable but I hear everthing(retired mechanic). Have there been alternator problems with the 17 GW?

Thanks, Jackie

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Welcome, sir to Honda Goldwing heaven! You’ll find a treasure trove of wisdom, experience, and help, all wrapped up in a bunch of grumpy old wingers’ know-it-all attitude. Just to give you a bit of a primer...

C’mon...?. As a mechanic, you know to give more information than “ There is a noise....”

Squeak, knock, whine, growl....?

If you’re talking about the “turbo” noise, it’s designed to let you know the motor’s running...

It’s normal.

:thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,794 Posts
My question is there is a noise coming from the alternator. It is not very noticeable but I hear everthing(retired mechanic). Have there been alternator problems with the 17 GW?

Thanks, Jackie
Can you capture the noise with a smart phone video, up load it on YouTube, and post the link here so others can hear it too ???

Hint ... prior to up loading it, listen to the vid and verify that you can hear the noise first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise is a low pitch rumble. You can also feel the roughness in the alternator. I believe I will take it by the dealer to let them check for a problem. I mentioned this to the local dealer (not where I bought the bike) about 3 months ago when the noise was not hardly noticeable. They said then the noise was normal.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Sounds like a mechanics stethoscope would be a good idea. $10 at about any auto parts store.

Corventure Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts