GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had trouble removing the green plug to alternator?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine was a little difficult when I replaced my alternator. Sticking from 90k miles and the heat around that area. Eventually worked loose.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Has anyone ever had trouble removing the green plug to alternator?
Yes. It bothered me to the point that I made a tool for removing this plug.
The tool is made from a piece of 1/8 inch iron that I happened to have on hand. The 18mm part that looks like an open end wrench fits over the connector. The "bump" at the back of the open end wrench releases the latch when you push on the tool. I added tapped holes so that I could use bolts for added leverage. I used bolts with 8mm heads because I have that size box end ratchet wrench.
Nothing fancy as I don't have a machine shop - just hand tools and a vise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. It bothered me to the point that I made a tool for removing this plug. I'll see if I can post a picture later.
Thanks Ron I don’t feel so bad now... did you figure what and where it was sticking? Tight fit? Heat to plastic? Contacts?
Joe

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks Ron I don’t feel so bad now... did you figure what and where it was sticking? Tight fit? Heat to plastic? Contacts?
Joe
The plastic connector is a tight fit. You need to unplug the connector while pushing the latch in to release it.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Using caution, this is how I do it. Sometimes I will push inwards first. Listen for the snap from the push point ... easy, peasy !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Using caution, this is how I do it. Sometimes I will push inwards first. Listen for the snap from the push point ... easy, peasy !!!
Thanks Greg and Ron I looked at Ron’s tool and tried an open head 19mm wrench ? carefully placed it on from the bottom then slid it to rear pop out easy peasy... I was afraid to place pliers or screw drivers on the plug didn’t want to crack.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Needle nose Vice Grip and a small screwdriver is what I use very carefully.
If that plug was in wide open space it would be much easier.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Joe

It'll never stick again, if you Pack it with Die-Electric Grease upon re-assembly.
As such, it'll also not allow any Dirt to enter underneath the push-tab... which otherwise prevents you from fully-depressing the tab to unlock it.

:wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts