GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the alternator on my bike. For those who have done this where did you purchase your alternator from?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Our baord sponsor, HDL, is an excellant source for OE parts. Click on the target above this forum and scroll down on the roght to select the parts fische section.

prs

·
Registered
332 Posts
Does the 06 alternator work on the older bikes 01-05?

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Does the 06 alternator work on the older bikes 01-05?
Yes ... but works best on the Wings spinning it at the RPM's it is intended to run at. From 06 and up, the alternator is spun at a faster speed. The watts that it is rated at also has to do with the speed it is spun at.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ebay - best price from what I have seen.
I went with HDL. Their price included shipping and no sending in a core. There were some sites that had refurbished but not that much cheaper than new and had shipping fees. Don't feel comfortable getting one off eBay since I consider that a crap shoot. Should be back on the road in ten days or so.
Thanks everyone

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Yes ... but works best on the Wings spinning it at the RPM's it is intended to run at. From 06 and up, the alternator is spun at a faster speed. The watts that it is rated at also has to do with the speed it is spun at.
Yep, but I don't think the speed difference is that much of an issue. With the engine idling @ 700 RPM, the 01-05 alternator is spinning @ 1800 RPM and the 06 and later is spinning @ 1918.5 RPM. This is a linear ratio across the engine RPM range. That's only a 6.59% increase in speed. And keep in mind the older wings aren't going to tax it as much as it can handle. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finleypj, what were your symptoms and have you removed the old one yet?

Was just riding along when at first the tach and speedo went to zero, noticed no difference in the way the bike rode or handled. The a few minutes later the dash lights started to flicker, noticed that the head lights were out. Then the bike stared to spit and sputter even shut off and on again. Eventually it died and there was no power for it to even try to start. While waiting on a freind to bring my trailer a trooper pulled over and we tried to jump the bike. It fired right up but died right after we pulled the jumper cables. Got the bike home and put it on a trickle charger, once fully charged it started up and ran but died down rather quickly. Put the bike back on the charger again till fully charged. This time I started it with the volt meter attached I turned on the brights, running lights and heated grips. The volts just fell off! At this point I just figured the batter was not getting charged and by default the alternator might be bad.

I do have the alternator off and on the work bench, since the batter is three years old I am also replacing it.

The bike is a 02 with over 80,000 miles on it. Just had the tranny rebuilt, and engine overhauled while it was off the bike, that was over 1600 miles ago.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Have you checked fuse #19? It's the cruise control fuse and it provides power to the alternator for the regulator circuit. If blown the cruise will be dead and the alternator will be dead as well.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Was just riding along when at first the tach and speedo went to zero, noticed no difference in the way the bike rode or handled. The a few minutes later the dash lights started to flicker, noticed that the head lights were out. Then the bike stared to spit and sputter even shut off and on again. Eventually it died and there was no power for it to even try to start. While waiting on a freind to bring my trailer a trooper pulled over and we tried to jump the bike. It fired right up but died right after we pulled the jumper cables. Got the bike home and put it on a trickle charger, once fully charged it started up and ran but died down rather quickly. Put the bike back on the charger again till fully charged. This time I started it with the volt meter attached I turned on the brights, running lights and heated grips. The volts just fell off! At this point I just figured the batter was not getting charged and by default the alternator might be bad.

I do have the alternator off and on the work bench, since the batter is three years old I am also replacing it.

The bike is a 02 with over 80,000 miles on it. Just had the tranny rebuilt, and engine overhauled while it was off the bike, that was over 1600 miles ago.
FIRST-I am not suggesting this is your issue here!
But after I got my bike back after a new engine was installed I had the same issues with my lights.
Read this thread to see what I found!. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294435

My plug looked like it was plugged in,but wasn't fully.just enough to vibrate on/off current to the battery.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FIRST-I am not suggesting this is your issue here!
But after I got my bike back after a new engine was installed I had the same issues with my lights.
Read this thread to see what I found!. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294435

My plug looked like it was plugged in,but wasn't fully.just enough to vibrate on/off current to the battery.
Funny you brought that up, I did check that from the moment I thought the alternator had failed. You thread was in the be back of my mind about checking conections. I even considered taking the gas tank out and checking the main ground bolt. Since I have the alternator out and a replacement ordered I am going to make damn sure the green conector is all the way in.

I have a grin on my face....I am not the only one to charge a bike with the key on.....too damn funny. Not this time but about three years ago on my V STROM.....had a short in the break lights.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you checked fuse #19? It's the cruise control fuse and it provides power to the alternator for the regulator circuit. If blown the cruise will be dead and the alternator will be dead as well.
Checked that fuse while I was waiting on the trailer. Checked out fine. Not to get weeds on this but the cop that helped us out used to be a mech at a Honda dealership in Ft Walton Beach.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts