GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 1800 with 153,000 miles, I was wondering at what miles did yours fail. I have heard they run forever without a problem.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
They will not run forever. You can take that to the bank. I would say yours might be at or a little past the average. I started carrying a spare at 120k on my '01. Last I heard it was at about 160k and the spare was still in the saddlebag.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
I have a 2010 1800 with 153,000 miles, I was wondering at what miles did yours fail. I have heard they run forever without a problem.

Fake News! :wink2: Some have failed at 60,000+ miles and others have lasted into the 125,000 mi +. When I sold my '01 the mileage was 167,500 smiles and the original alt was working as intended. I bought the bike new.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
There have been more than a few posts about alternator failures around 115,000 miles. Alt brushes can only last so long depending on loads and time!
Enough postings for me to change my alternator at about that mileage in my old 2005. This for me because our ride - tour trips last for weeks and can find us out in the scenic boonies. I do not stretch the use out my batteries either. I change about every 5 years on the battery.

It all depends on how and where one rides. If mostly local or hear large towns, the extra caution may not be as important. OH, by the by, I have an extra rebuilt alternator at home for just in case. And last year we saved a friends trip when his Alt failed in Idaho. Over night Fed-Ex and he only lost one day out of a 12 day trip. He was about at the 120,000 mile mark.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Anything beyond 110-120 is borrowed time....

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I'm setting at 83,000, so something to keep an eye out for I guess. So what's the fix, carry a new unit, carry a rebuilt unit, or pack some electrical cleaner, emery cloth to clean the commentator, and a new set of brushes?

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Have been hauling around a spare alternator Ever since the 7 year warranty ran out, never actually needed it while on the road so it must work like a good luck charm. My alternator has been replaced 4 times, the first 2 times Honda covered it under warranty.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Anyone got a good used OEM alt for sale??(JK) I once worked in a rebuild shop and we would rebuild units all the time. Thankfully my employment choice got me into a place with integrity as they used the best replacement parts money could buy. I learned a lot from my years there. Because of that experience I believe a used unit can be made as reliable as the new unit once was. Having worked in a dealership also gave me insight into OEM replacement parts being less than perfect too. Bosch alternators failed shortly after installation enough times that we would have a special call check on service orders completed for follow up calls to customers to confirm service satisfaction and continued drivability after leaving the service department.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Anyone got a good used OEM alt for sale??(JK) I once worked in a rebuild shop and we would rebuild units all the time. Thankfully my employment choice got me into a place with integrity as they used the best replacement parts money could buy. I learned a lot from my years there. Because of that experience I believe a used unit can be made as reliable as the new unit once was. Having worked in a dealership also gave me insight into OEM replacement parts being less than perfect too. Bosch alternators failed shortly after installation enough times that we would have a special call check on service orders completed for follow up calls to customers to confirm service satisfaction and continued drivability after leaving the service department.
I agree. A friend of mine rebuilds starters and alternators for his business. His warranty return rates are lower than most any large branded reman units and probably some new OEM units. When you are the only guy in the shop and your business is on the line you try to do things right. A lot of "rebuilt" units he has tore down are simply cleaned up cores with new brushes, somethimes the original bearings are still intact. I've yet to have one of his rebuilt units fail me.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree. A friend of mine rebuilds starters and alternators for his business. His warranty return rates are lower than most any large branded reman units and probably some new OEM units. When you are the only guy in the shop and your business is on the line you try to do things right. A lot of "rebuilt" units he has tore down are simply cleaned up cores with new brushes, somethimes the original bearings are still intact. I've yet to have one of his rebuilt units fail me.

Name of business please.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My alternator died at 68,000 miles. In the garage, it’s not a bad job to change one out. But out on the road...getting at the inside bolt would be a SOB with the tank in place.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Holy shi# I guess you do ride, and I honestly thought that I was a rider 2010 w/ 55,000 miles... (looks like I'm the wimp! :crying:)

Ronnie

Reactions: revrunt
1 - 15 of 15 Posts