GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between having someone like Ken Heming rebuild your alternator and having it done at a local shop? The price for getting a rebuilt alternator from Ken is significantly higher than the prices for a local rebuild that have been quoted here.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I had the unique experience to visit Ken Heming in his home/workshop. He has all the correct tooling and experience to work on the goldwing alternators. Plus he has extensive experience working on these alternators. For a critical part like the alternator, I would want Ken to work on my alternator instead of somebody learning and practicing on my alternator. The fact that most all generic alternator shops cannot test the alternator makes it virtually impossible for them to tell if they have rebuilt the alternator properly. Once again not practicing and guessing for me.
Of course you can do what you want. But if it fails out on the road someplace, saving a few bucks may no longer seem like a good idea. I've had my alternator fail out on the road. I'll do almost anything to make sure that doesn't happen again. I'm currently running a Ken Heming rebuilt alternator, and carrying a new OEM in my trailer wherever I go.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Most auto electric shop do not have the equipment to test the Gold Wing alternator after rebuild. Rebuilding an alternator is just part of the process, you have to be able to test the alternator under different conditions to insure it's going to operate properly. This is most likely why Ken's rebuilt alternators are a little more expensive than having it done at your local auto electric shop.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I can't see any difference ,there pretty much the same as a car , as long as it's a good alternator rebuild place ..I had mine rebuilt at a rebuild place ,they do cars, trucks big and small and bikes ,no issues

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most auto electric shop do not have the equipment to test the Gold Wing alternator after rebuild.

Just curious......how would you know that?

I can't imagine why the aternator on a Goldwing would be any different than a car. With heated seats, electric seats, electric windows, air conditioning , most newer cars have a lot more electrically operated stuff than a Goldwing. I would think that there would be nothing special about a wing alternator.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Just curious......how would you know that?

I can't imagine why the aternator on a Goldwing would be any different than a car. With heated seats, electric seats, electric windows, air conditioning , most newer cars have a lot more electrically operated stuff than a Goldwing. I would think that there would be nothing special about a wing alternator.
Automotive alternators and the GL1800 alternators are the same... except for the pulley mounted to the auto alternator. The GL1800 alternator has the splined shaft instead, so they can't run them up on the test jig. Some shops can get around it, some can't or just won't spend the time. However all the rest of the test equipment they use works. So they can detect open or shorted windings. They can also test the bridge diodes. I have always had good service and have been very satisfied with the little hole in the wall mom and pop auto electric shop I have used. They tear them apart, tank the parts until they look nearly new are are very clean. New bearings are installed along with a set of brushes. The static check everything.... turn around is usually one day, sometimes two if they are really busy. No shipping is a plus...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts