GL1800Riders Forums banner

alternator service - 2008 ABS - simple tools that worked (for me)

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Joen 
#1 ·
G'day Fellow Goldwingers,

I just has my alternator serviced again (new bearings and brushes). The first service occurred at 90,000 km and almost to the kilometer, this service done at 180,000. The brushes were worn right down so those were replaced and since it was apart, I had the bearings changed too.

Here are some photos of the simple tools I used. Made the job easy.

- swivel head socket, short extension and 12mm socket plus the little claw that allows me to get the socket on the rear bolt and hold in place. Took no time at all to get to get the alternator out. I would use these tools to put alternator back in but I made a better tool (see below)

- While the alternator was getting fixed, I made the hex/socket tool. This is to be used with a 10mm ratchet ring spanner. I cut a long 10mm allen key (hex spanner) to the desired length. I then filed the end so that I could then knock it into the square drive part of the 12mm socket. It was firm enough to tighten the rear bolt without having to weld the socket on to the hex shaft. I used the little claw to place the rear bolt then again to place the socket over the bolt. The hex is long enough to extend past the rear of the alternator to a point where I could slide the ratchet 10mm spanner over it. As you tighten (or loosen), the hex just slides along through the ring spanner. I also used a long screw driver just to put slight pressure on the socket whilst I ratcheted bit by bit until the bolt was tight.

The photos also show a new set of brushes. They are not very long so you can understand why I only get 90,000km out of them.

Hope this helps someone.

Credit for the hex/socket tool goes to George here in Oz who did the repairs to the alternator and told me what he did.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.