GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 that I bought new and that now has about 10,000 miles on it. It has always made a very irritating whine from what I assume is the alternator/alternator drive. I don't typically ride with other 1800s, so I really don't know what is "normal" or not. I sort of got used to it, but for some reason in the past 1,000 miles or so it has really gotten on my nerves.

I made a short (1 min 9 sec, 1 MB) mp3 audio clip using the voice record feature of my sansa mp3 player taped to the left storage lid and posted it at http://pnplace.com/gl1800/gl1800whine.mp3 (you can also go to http://pnplace.com/gl1800 and right-click on the file name and select "Save Target as" to download it).

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet to be checked, but before I do, I thought I would see what some of you think - do they all do this, or does this one have a problem?

I don't get rolling until about 20 seconds in (you can hear me slip the back tire on the gravel when I take off). I go out my gravel drive and then drive about 1/4 mile to the intersection. It makes the whine the worst at around 2,000 rpm light load - you can hear it at its worst at about 50 seconds into the audio.

I can hear it whine at all speeds even up through 75 mph. I have an F4+4 shield, so that does make it easier to hear, though.

I had a 2001 that did not make ANY alternator noise at all, so it is rather disappointing to have this one make so much noise. I knew the 2006 and up 1800s had some whine, but I did not think they were this bad.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
mine:shrug: has the same whine but not as loud and sometimes it gets me. Its an 03

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds just like my 08. i don't worry about it as I play the radio through the speakers so I don't hear it. I have convinced myself it just supercharger whine :)

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Some whine and some don't, your does. Nothing much can be done about it.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Sounds like mine...2001

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've always thought that's the cam timing chain.
The 1500's had the timing belts that were much, much quieter.
There must be tension rollers that may need adjusting. It is quite loud.
Have you adjusted or checked your valve clearances lately?

A dealer should be able to tell you for sure, without cost.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies so far.

I may have caused confusion when I said I taped my sansa mp3 player to the left storage compartment cover - I used the sansa to record the audio because it has a voice record feature from a microphone built into the player. The whine that is recorded is what is coming through the air - it does not have anything to do with the electronic whine that some report through the wired communication system of the wing.

It is good to know mine is not the only one with the noise, although IMO Honda should have worked on a way to minimize or eliminate this noise - it is not like they did not have enough time to address it. Perhaps it is fixed on the 2012s?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
That is louder than my '02 for reference. You have two whines, the typical one and that other one that I don't have. That's my story.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have exactly the same whine with my 2008. Mine gets louder at about 3000 rpm.
When it seemed to get worse I took it to the dealer figuring the alternator was going out and I didn't want to get stranded with a dead battery. The bike is covered under extended warranty. The dealer had it for a day and said that the alternator was putting out exactly what is was supposed to and the sound alone was not enough of an indication to tear the bike apart. He told me if it is the alternator then it will get worse and I can bring it in again. He basically said just drive it so that is what I am doing. I try and keep my RPMs down (good luck in So Cal) and turn my music up. But I also wish I didn't have the whine of a turbine. In all other ways my bike runs strong and does not vibrate, smooth as silk.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I think it is some kind of gear whine, as it varies with engine speed. Could be just the way the gears were finished on your particular bike. Doesn't sound like anything that could be damaging.

Could be the alternator drive gear or bearings. Maybe put the thing on a stand with the wheels up in the air and run it through the gears while you try to narrow down the location of the sound.

Since it varies with engine speed, does it change at all in different gears?

Don't think it is too serious, but I can see where it could be annoying.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 01 makes no noise like that! That would drive me crazy too. I dunno, this has been the most trouble free bike I've ever owned, think I'm gonna keep it for a while...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Whine

I have always thot that was a noise I heard on Hondas as far back as I can remember. As I recall, even as far back as the 1960's and 1970's on CB 160's, 305's, 450's, they all had it. But only on overhead cam models as I recall. Always liked it myself. Can't say other Jap bikes had it or not for sure.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Have a 2010 same sound no problems with speaker sounds. I get a humming noise when my iphone is charging that all so far.:agree:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
My 02 does not whine at all. I test rode a customer's 01 a couple of days ago that whined just like yours.

From what Techdude has reported, Honda redesigned the output gears on the alternator around 2006 or so, and all the bikes since then are louder than the earlier models. But I don't know what is considered normal.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
100% normal. Those that don't hear it either have the radio up to mask the sound our just don't hear so well.

That is the whine that got us the stereotype of having a sewing machine. I ride with some folks that always ask what I charge to sew patches on vests, how much to make a quilt, ect....

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Partly agree with Fuse. The whine varies from bike to bike. I notice most GL1800's have much more of that noise than does my '02. I don't notice it unless I listen for it.

prs

1 - 20 of 48 Posts