GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that this topic has been discussed a number of times but I was just wondering if anyone knows if the gears are lubricated or not. If they are lubricated, it might be possible to reduce the sound with the right choice of lubricant.

Just wondering . . .

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
From what little I have seen written about it, the problem seems to be more related to how the drive and driven gears are aligned or shimmed. I recall one post long ago mentioning that alt gear may have been placed on its shaft backward, but I dunno.

prs

·
Registered
458 Posts
Fix would be nice

Thats the only thing I hate about mine. Got me thinking about looking for a different bike. 20k for a bike and you have to have stero cranked all the time to drown it out!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I am aware that this topic has been discussed a number of times but I was just wondering if anyone knows if the gears are lubricated or not. If they are lubricated, it might be possible to reduce the sound with the right choice of lubricant.

Just wondering . . .
Louder pipes!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Boys,
Again, this subject is like the ones about the suspension, the road gearing etc. Since many people love these bikes and, many people have opinions on all issues, many people don't like the ride and think the original Honda suspension is weak and there for alter theirs with Traxxion, Race Tech, and others because Honda, under opinions, made it weak.

This whine, appears to be in more than just a few bikes, it's appeared in posts from New York to San Diego. It's not in all the bikes apparently but enough that it's a problem to many. What's up with Honda, don't they hear that whine at the factory? Don't they test 99% of the engines before they're shipped to the dealerships? If they do hear it, what's their opinion?

Are any of the '09s doing it? For those of us that have it, (in any year model) what is the exact cause and what's the exact cure for it if, and I mean IF, one is bothered enough to do something about it? Sorry, don't mean to drag things out here. Have a nice day.
Scott

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I know why they Whine.
The Alternator gear is driven off the Main shaft Gear.
All these gears are strait cut. Not an an Angle that would make them Quieter. The Main shaft gear is actually split and has springs in it to reduce back lash. I'm guessing so they didn't have to worry about getting the spacing Just right. Some are louder than others. There is really Nothing you can do to quiet the. They are lubricated By your Engine oil.
If you find something that actually does quiet them , it would most likely mess up the clutch. Same oil.
Like someone said. Louder pipes. I don't even hear the whine anymore

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Here is a picture of the Gears

# 2 is the Alternator Damper Unit. Its what your Alternator Plugs into .
#1 is the Main shaft gear that drives the Alternator Damper.
If you look closely you can see it looks odd. That because it's split and Spring Loaded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts