GL1800Riders Forums banner

alternator

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  gary4565 
#1 ·
Can an alternator for an 07 or 08 be used in an 01? Newer ones are a few bucks cheaper and higher output. Any install issues?

#2 ·
the newer alternators are higher output, but also have a different spline count as the Alternator drive was redesigned in (I believe)2006 and the springs in it were replaced with a fluid dampener. You can use the newer alternator if you want to pull the motor and change out the ADG...

good luck!:thumbup:

#3 ·
You can use the alternator from a newer bike(06-10), the splines are the same, the tooth count on the gears that drive it changed. The newer, higher output alternator won't put out quite as much as it's capable of because this tooth count change on the newer bikes spins it a little faster. When you put it into an older bike(01-05), the different tooth count will spin it slower than it was designed for, but it will still put out more power than the older alternator without any problems. The drive gear doesn't have to be changed.

There's at least one other board member that has an 06-up alternator in his 2002 with no problems. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

#7 ·
alternators

Thanks, i think. I trust Techdude, so I'm thinking it will work. I'm thinking this will be a winter project for me as I have 92K on my 01 now. Might change it out over the winter so I don't have a problem during the summer riding season and long trips to the west coast. Thanks everyone. Ride safe!

#8 ·
I know for a fact that an 09 alt. will work on an 02. The dealer in Blairsville Ga. took one off a trike conversion and put it on my buddy's 02 while we waited for it. I don't know many who would do that.

#9 ·
Thank you Capt Bob! Sorry, I'm not Honda certified, there's no money in it. :wrong: But I do have a pretty good memory and I remember a board member that had it done and it worked fine. The spin rates I did calculate myself. Thanks for the votes of confidence. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Techdude is right. My local Honda dealer gave me bad info a couple months ago when i asked the question....

I apologize for the confusion. I was wrong.

Thanks Techdude.

#12 ·
Thanks, i think. I trust Techdude, so I'm thinking it will work. I'm thinking this will be a winter project for me as I have 92K on my 01 now. Might change it out over the winter so I don't have a problem during the summer riding season and long trips to the west coast. Thanks everyone. Ride safe!
Winter project?? Really?? You must have really short winters... since an alternator change is a 30 minute job....

#13 ·
winter projects

Its only a winter project cause i am using all my money right now for gas. i'll swap out the alternator during the winter when I can't ride. I do all my own mant and have changed the rear shock, had the tank out, rebuilt the front forks with race-tec, etc. Mine is working right now, just looking to the future and not having it go out in death valley or some other wonderful place to camp! <G>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.