GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
10,641 Posts
Okay, bearings going out. Pull it, take it a rebuild shop, reinstall.

· Registered
10,641 Posts
Trying to post video can’t seem to do it some one please refresh my memory 😲😆
I am not an expert on the video side of the forum. I end up uploading to YouTube and then post a link to it. Someone else will chime in with a better method so we can both learn... 🤔😉

Reactions: Capt. Bob

· Premium Member
2014 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
140 Posts
So, I had the pleasure of having my ADG Drive go out on my "04" Flair Red. THAT was not the sound it was making. It was more like a box of rocks when you were idling down, and running at idle. When you throttled up the sound basically went away. The set ring that goes bad (breaks into a bunch of pieces) allows the alternator to "move" just a but thus creates the sound as it now has this play in it. My opinion is that this does not sound like the ADG, which be a good thing because if it IS the ADG you have to pull the engine. I would try the rebuild first.

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I had the pleasure of having my ADG Drive go out on my "04" Flair Red. THAT was not the sound it was making. It was more like a box of rocks when you were idling down, and running at idle. When you throttled up the sound basically went away. The set ring that goes bad (breaks into a bunch of pieces) allows the alternator to "move" just a but thus creates the sound as it now has this play in it. My opinion is that this does not sound like the ADG, which be a good thing because if it IS the ADG you have to pull the engine. I would try the rebuild first.
thanks I am of the same opinion.

· Registered
3,244 Posts
Okay, bearings going out. Pull it, take it a rebuild shop, reinstall.
Good luck with that idea. The rebuild shops I have been talking to will not split the case on an alternator they can not bench test. That is why I am looking for a bad ADG so I can make a drive to test gl1800 alternators. I have a local shop that says he can get the parts to rebuild our alternators with all new parts except the armature at a fraction of the cost of new but he will not do it unless he can bench test afterward.

Reactions: Joen and JoeHall

· Premium Member
2014 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
140 Posts
Now fast forward to my 2014 and with just a few thousand miles on it, and on a VERY cold and windy morning, I had the pleasure of hearing THIS. Sound familiar? Took it to the shop and much to there credit, once I got there, they could NOT reproduce that sound. They even put me up at a local hotel so that they could pack bags of ice all around the alternator and ....nothing. No noise. I ended up putting in a new one just because I did not trust this one any longer and to date, at 105,000...she has been going strong. (Took me awhile to find the file and then do all that UTube stuff. LOL.)

· Registered
10,641 Posts
@Capt. Bob I've got an alternator if you want it...

· Registered
3,244 Posts
@Capt. Bob I've got an alternator if you want it...
I already have one of the 70amp ones off a 2004. I would have to change the armature and field windings to up it which not be cost effective. I could use one of the 90amp ones though. If I can get the ADG drive set up going. That would be the first one I would get rebuilt. I am going to get the 70amp one going anyway. You know where I can get a bad ADG?

· Registered
88 Posts
Sounds to me like you have narrowed it down to the alternator bearings in the first post with a stethoscope. Noise loudest at rear of alternator. I have had one or more bearing go out in my 2006 Gold Wing. at 100K miles.. It did not sound like that though. Mine sounded like a Hoover vacuum cleaner. When using a stethascope I could tell it was the alternator. I took a different route. Found a used alternator from a 2003 Gold Wing on eBay, and bought it. Said it was low mileage. Of coarse, I had alternator opened up, cleaned out, and check bearings. Checked voltage output. (It looked low mileage when opened up. My shop had NO problem at all opening it up.) Has been powering my level 2 Gold Wing with heated seat\grips, heated vest, and pulling a cargo trailer at times. like a champ for over 20K miles now. I have a analog voltmeter that shows 14.2 volts all the time. Might have same shop rebuild original alternator someday. Never did quit charging..
gumbyredd

1 - 20 of 48 Posts