GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1,786 Posts
Good luck with that idea. The rebuild shops I have been talking to will not split the case on an alternator they can not bench test. That is why I am looking for a bad ADG so I can make a drive to test gl1800 alternators. I have a local shop that says he can get the parts to rebuild our alternators with all new parts except the armature at a fraction of the cost of new but he will not do it unless he can bench test afterward.
The shop that rebuilt mine made a fixture to test using an electric motor and a serpentine belt.

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Now fast forward to my 2014 and with just a few thousand miles on it, and on a VERY cold and windy morning, I had the pleasure of hearing THIS. Sound familiar? Took it to the shop and much to there credit, once I got there, they could NOT reproduce that sound. They even put me up at a local hotel so that they could pack bags of ice all around the alternator and ....nothing. No noise. I ended up putting in a new one just because I did not trust this one any longer and to date, at 105,000...she has been going strong. (Took me awhile to find the file and then do all that UTube stuff. LOL.)

Yup sounds the same not as pronounced… thanks for posting

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That isn't the normal sound I would associate with an ADG. As others have posted, it may be the alternator bearing. I'd pull the alternator and spin it by hand and see how it sounds.
Fred, Rob thanks for chiming in, friend wants to know if we can start with alternator out, wants to make sure before he buys one….. also can the alternator on the 06 and up be installed?

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well the alternator is out and appears to be the problem. Need a vendor other than the regular Mrcycle’s of Partzilla Mrcycles not answering phone nor returning phone calls….. Partzilla slightly more expensive…

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Get the oem bearings from mrcycle or partzilla and have your alternator shop replace them.
Appears that his problem was a little more than bearing failure. We notice that at least two pieces of the alternator housing are broken off. My money is on the possibility that a piece feel into armature shaft area….. I may dismantle to investigate… just for the sake of why or what is causing that noise…

· GL1800 Doctor
22,147 Posts
Appears that his problem was a little more than bearing failure. We notice that at least two pieces of the alternator housing are broken off. My money is on the possibility that a piece feel into armature shaft area….. I may dismantle to investigate… just for the sake of why or what is causing that noise…
How did the housing get broken?

· Registered
21,700 Posts
Yikes very scary noise ! But to me it sure doesn’t sound like ADG noise.
I had one of the higher output alternators rebuilt at 180,000 miles because of what I thought was bearing noise for a few seconds after starting but other than the noise the alternator was still working fine, after the rebuild the noise was gone and everything was working fine. After 3-4,000 miles it started to rattle at idle sort of like the dreaded bad ADG , so I tried installing a new alternator to see if the noise would change, luckily the noise disappeared and never returned. Personally I will never again have a GL1800 alter rebuilt, just buy a new one.

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That looks like an aftermarket alternator. The label on its top rear doesn’t look like the normal Mitsubishi OEM unit. Odd place for it to break. Thanks for the pics.
I thought I noticed a Honda label on the back.. I will get the old one pictured after install of new alternator will take more pictures. I will split it open to look for evidence of the housing inside. I like to understand what happened and why if I can.. it didn’t fail electronically….

21 - 40 of 48 Posts