GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks!

I recently purchased an Aluma MCTXL and spare tire. When I asked the dealer about the spare tire carrier, he said it was REAL ugly and wouldn't sell it to his worse enemy.

So I guess my question is, how do you Aluma owners mount your spare, or do you just lay it inside the trailer?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Gord

·
Registered
758 Posts
I opted to go without a spare and carry a plug kit and air pump which I had for the bike any how. Ride with follow riders most of the time I have the trailer with me, so it isn't a big deal to pull the wheel and to go for a repair or new tire, which I think is very slim to ever be required. Just my own personal feeling.
Love my MTC Aluma though.

Farmer Jack

·
Registered
411 Posts
Me Too

I'm with Farmer Jack. We don't carry one on our Aluma, either. Spares are available all over the place, and I'm confident I could ride at slow speed until I can get off the road and into a safe place on anything short of a shredded tire.

Let me explain: Last summer in a fit of sheer boredom, I deflated one tire on the empty trailer to see how it would react. I pulled it around by hand and noted how it felt. Next, I put some weight in the trailer, and repeated my test.

Lastly, I put a BUNCH more weight in the trailer, and noted those results. In all but the last test, I was confident that I could pull the trailer safely with a moderate load until I could get to a safe place and swap out or repair the tire then.

Now, your mileage may vary, and will depend on the geography you are going to ride in, the weight you intend to carry and other factors. I'm sure whatever you decide will be righ for you.

Cloud9

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Me three. I just carry a plug kit, compressor and a small tool kit with the wrenches and sockets I need.

Bartman

G

·
Me three(four). I just carry a plug kit, compressor and a small tool kit with the wrenches and sockets I need.

coolhand

Just a tip/trick that most old timers most likley already know about is about the compressor I carry. See photo below:

This ratty looking thing started life some years back as a Campbell Hausfeld 12 volt inflator that came in one of those big plastic cases "complete" with built in flashlight, red light flasher and all kinds of valves and needles to inflate all kinds of stuff around the house. It was designed to be carried in the trunk of a car before I bashed the case to h, replaced the cigarette lighter adapter with clips and wound up with a little 2 3/4 pound compressor that packs away easily in a tupperware type box for saddlebag storage. Easy, effective and cheap.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cloud9,

And I thought all you had to do in Iowa was watch the corn grow...lol
Love the profile pic, reminds me of myself about 40 years ago.

Ditto on the plug kit. You would be amazed at how many times I've saved someone's day.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
We ran over a rock and cut a sidewall on the Aluma tire last summer - no spare. Fortunately the people we were riding with had an Escapade with a spare tire (and a Harley with a tool kit) and we were on the road in 30 minutes.

The 12" tire worked to get us to our destination but it is not an exact fit. When looking for a replacement tire - no one had one. We eventually found one 60 miles away at a cost of $80 plus. This was for a 2001 Aluma trailer. Perhaps with newer models the tires are "available all over the place".

Anyway you look at it - with or without a spare, all you are going to lose is time. The trailer tracked great, just a thump, thump, thump when the tire was flat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts