GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I posted to the Pakit Rak thread in the Tech Board yesterday I mentioned how much value I felt I got when I purchased my Aluma Trailer. I also said it was because of the trailer experts on this board that really "showed me the light" re the Aluma.

Since then I received a number of e-mails and PMs's for more information about the Aluma. Although I don't own or have any stake in Aluma other than wanting fellow board members to know what a great experience I had purchasing and using mine I didn't want to break any rules and have Hal zap this post. So all I'm going to do for those who have contacted me is post a few photos of my Aluma and let them know they can get a great deal more info by imputing "Aluma" in the search feature at the top of this page. I hope that's OK.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice pics. Did you add those side marker LEDs? Mine is a '06 Aluma MCTXL and it doesn't have those. I did add the 3-way Hyperlites to the top rear corners of the trailer because fellow riders were telling me that in bright sunlight the stock LED brake, turn, AND running were washing out. The Hyperlites solved that issue!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Barry,

Yes I did add the LEDs and I did a fairly long post on this board with pictures explaining how I installed the lights and also carpet. Here is the link to that post: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... highlight=
Let me know what you think.

Also, thanks for the tip about the Hyperlites. Do you have any photos of your installation or the "finished product"?

·
Banned
716 Posts
I have had my aluma trailor for 2 years. It has worked great! I first saw it at a Harley dealer. But I went on line and found a local farm implement dealer that sold the larger trailors. He said he could order me one and sold it to me for $800 less than at the Harley dealer. (Don't ask me what I was doing in a HD shop) :lol:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
coolhand,
Good looking set up you've got. The yellows go well together, if you like yellow. When you get ready to add an umbrella, let me know, I can help with plans for the holder. You do want to add an umbrella, don't you?
Did you know your cooler is on backwards? :wink:

·
Banned
716 Posts
How did you get that cooler in the tray? I have the same cooler but it sits on top of the tray rails.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Had to get a different tray built. A good welding shop should be able to build one for you. Or, you may be able to get Aluma to build you one. I think I heard that Aluma is including a larger tray on the newest models because so many people wanted to use the Coleman SS cooler. Give them a call. They're pretty good to talk to.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Those are great looking trailers. What hitches are everyone using?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Fuzzy said:
CJS, I mount my cooler just like Coolhand has his. If you ever forget to latch the cooler and the wind catches the lid you will understand why. :oops: :oops:

I already know why, I'm just too stubborn to change. Besides that I like the crease across the top of the cooler where the top blows open and bangs against the trailer. :oops:

·
Registered
964 Posts
CJS said:
... I think I heard that Aluma is including a larger tray on the newest models because so many people wanted to use the Coleman SS cooler. Give them a call. They're pretty good to talk to.
I can confirm what you heard. The Coleman SS cooler fits perfectly in the tray on my '07 Aluma MCTXL.

·
Registered
964 Posts
leaddog11 said:
How much do these retail for?
Thanks
When I ordered mine in late August from the Aluma dealer in Forest Lake, MN they wanted $1499 for the MCT and $1799 for the MCTXL. (plus tax and Lic fees) All standard colors were the same price, it took about a month for mine to be delivered. I think I paid 109 + tax for the cooler.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
WOW ! those prices sound very reasonable

i really like the top, very practical for carrying extra stuff easilly

how well does the suspension work ? i am assuming its one of those rubber torsionbar type ?

·
Registered
964 Posts
cycledude said:
...how well does the suspension work ? i am assuming its one of those rubber torsionbar type ?
Yes, it has a rubber torsion axle. I think the suspension works very well, but, I only have 600 or 700 miles on mine and I'm certainly not an expert on trailers.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
OK . I got a dumb question. Why do you need a trailer ? I've traveled before on a bike and I just packed light. You have the luggage compartments already ? Whats the reason for the trailer ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts