GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys with Aluma trailers put your spare tire at? I've always carried mine on the inside in a little box that I made to just fit the tire/wheel into, but, it takes up a lot of precious room in there.

I have considered moving the cooler rack forward and mounting the tire between the rack and the front of the trailer, but, that would put quite a bit of tongue weight up there and I am a little concerned about getting into the bike if I get it jackknifed around to much. There doesn't look to be enough ground clearance to put it underneath.

Ideas?

Also, what tire pressure have you found that works good on the trailer?

Leaving for WOTS in a few days and need to get these little details worked out.

Thanks . . . .

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
Spare tire :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I've thought about it, but so far have not acquired one.

Now you've got me thinking about it again.

So far my thoughts have been that since I don't carry a spare tire for the motorcycle, I'm not at much more risk by not carrying a spare tire for the trailer. My hope and rationalizaiton is that since it is a pretty common size I could find a tire in a nearby town. If I need to get towed because of a flat on the trailer, I guess I will.

I'm planning on taking the 2K mile route to WOTS via Rhode Island. See you there. Look for the Corona umbrella in the Red Roof parking lot.

I am running 28# of pressure in the tires on my Aluma.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Spare

I'm with CJS, myself for a couple of reasons:

1) The sidewall of the OEM tires seem to be very stiff, and I suspect will hold the weight of the trailer and contents long enough to ride VERY slowly to a place where I can get it changed/fixed.

2) The tire size seems to be universally available at any Wally World, Northern Hydraulics, KMart, or other big box stores. I'll rather let THEM keep my spare for me! Getting it mounted should be no big thing.

More importantly, before each trip of more than a day or so, I regularly inspect the whole rig from end to end including tires, looking for anything that may affect the performance of the bike or trailer. If I have ANY reservations about ANY component, it gets taken care of immediately.

While on a trip, every morning, I do a once over to double check. This saved us from what could have been a horrific situation in NC once, where I discovered a cut down rear tire that was still holding air, but probably wouldn't have lasted more than a hundred miles.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I just worry to much about having a flat away from civilization. I know that most Wal-Marts, Meijer, Tractor Supply etc all have this size wheel/tire mounted up and ready to go, but, if I'm 20 miles away with a flat that I can't plug and fix on the spot that wouldn't be good. I can't imagine having to unhook and leave my trailer while I went hunting for a new tire.

Worst case scenario is having a flat that is fixable with a plug, but, having the tire break loose from the rim and not being able to get it inflated with my little 12v compressor.

Maybe I should just enjoy the ride and not worry so much about things that are so hard to control.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
hp0617 said:
Maybe I should just enjoy the ride and not worry so much about things that are so hard to control.
That's the ticket.

Rock On

1 - 5 of 5 Posts