GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering aluminum ramps to load my wing into my pu. Anyone have any experience with three piece folding ramps...either pro or con.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have the three piece folding Alum. ramps, I have used them for my smaller 4 wheeler and just love them. But I'm not sure about trying them for the wing. Hmmmm ! I suppose if there was help close by I might ?
But there's a weight thing I would be concerned with. The wing might be too heavy for them, plus the angle going up ? I would be very leary about trying it, the wing is just so heavy that if you lost your balace or something it would be all over but the shouting. My buddy has mine right now so I can't check the weight limits. I would do a whole lot of checking before the attempt. Sorry I couldn't help much...................

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ramps

I bought a 6 ft. single center hinge ramp from a local dealer. First time I drove my Suzuki Cavalcade up I bent the center. Now I have to put a block under to brace it up.
Sold Cavalcade and haven't tried to put the GL1800 up on trailer yet.

Some of the ramps are just designed for small bikes. The load ratings seem to be a little low for touring bikes.

I use my converted boat trailer for the bike. Just 18 inches off ground.

Big difference between that and the 30 ?? some odd inches to the back of a pickup.

Make sure you lock the ramp to the tailgate / trailer. Don't want it slipping off when you're half way up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ramps, we don't need no stinking ramps...

Or, you could do what a couple really bright employees did at the local Honda Dealership. They were trying to push a brand new vtx up one of those aluminum ramps that they have on box type moving trucks. (you know the ones that slide in under the bumper) Well, they started pushing it up (cause it wasn't prepped, it was just being delivered to another dealership as a trade) and the guy doing the steering made a misstep and stumbled off the side of the ramp. Oops, there went the bike, down on it's side and right onto the pavement. Let me tell you there were a couple of very unhappy techs for a while. The air just didn't seem to be the same after that. I left quietly before they caught me laughing. LOL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased a Ramp-Master 10' ramp set a few years back. I used it successfully to load & unload H/Ds from the back of a pickup truck. Those bikes even included a full dresser. The ramp, which has a bow so you don't bottom out, has two side pieces and a center rack. The center rack is suppose to be able to hold (I believe?) 1600 pounds.

www.Ramp-Master.com This product is "the" real deal and the one people talk about. However, it is not cheap. I was fortunate enough to get mine used, a year old. A guy was selling his bike and didn't need a ramp anymore.

FYI>I've never had the need to load the Wing, so I can't comment on how the product works with a 1800. Hmmm. Strange. Had several occasions I needed to "haul" Harleys and no need to "haul" the Wing. :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts