GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by an independent MC shop. He said he would send my wheels to a guy in NJ and when they come back, they will look like the chrome looking covers on a GW. Then just use rubbing alcohol to clean them in the future.

1. How is the cleaning/buffing done to get them that clear?

2. Rubbing alcohol?

3. Costs for the wheels be cleanded?

Thanks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems like a valid operation. He showed me one of the bikes in his shop where they stripped it down and sent everything to NJ. Even now, having sat in the shop for a year or so, and covered with dust, it was gleaming. Supposedly they polish the wheels to get a really clear look.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
They must anodize the aluminum after they polish them on a wheel using jewelers rouge to get them looking like chrome. I polished my front rim a few tire changes ago and it did look just like chrome. But even though I polished it with wax and a sealer, it still turned back the same dull aluminum after a while. Anodize changes the surface of the aluminum and keeps oxygen away from the metal. This is the only way to keep aluminum shiny and bright. I finally gave up and powder coated the rim.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
132 Posts
Keeping my rims good looking

I got Sick :22yikes: and Tired of trying to keep my rims looking good.

If I wanted to spend my spare time polishing something, with special this special that

I would have bought a HD:p

I powder coated my rims last month and they look GREAT.

I will spend the time I save, riding more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts