GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2012 GW and the radio doesn't work. The aux, usb and WB work. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Thanks

I guess I should have said that when you select them AM/FM doesn't show on the display

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Make sure you don't have the A*SEL button selected. This does some weird stuff with radio stations.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Antenna not connected? But I guess the WB wouldn't work either if that were the problem?

·
Vendor
198 Posts
I recently purchased a 2012 GW and the radio doesn't work. The aux, usb and WB work. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Thanks

I guess I should have said that when you select them AM/FM doesn't show on the display
Give us a call and ask for Jeff. We should be able to give you a hand with this problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I have a new issue. I use a thumb drive and now when I turn off the bike all audio settings are reset like the battery had been disconnected. That coupled with the radio not working is there something I should be looking at?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
This sounds like a problem with the battery. Regardless of how new it is, pull it and have it load tested at a local auto parts store. Before putting it back in, make sure you clean the connectors (both on the battery and on the cable ends) and then make sure they are good and tight.

·
Vendor
16,809 Posts
Is there a chrome cover interfering with the buttons attached to the radio panel ???

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sounds like a problem with the battery. Regardless of how new it is, pull it and have it load tested at a local auto parts store. Before putting it back in, make sure you clean the connectors (both on the battery and on the cable ends) and then make sure they are good and tight.
I had the battery and charging system checked and everything was good.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
I'd bet previous owner may not have fully seated the control connectors on the radio, which sits in the trunk.

Does this motorcycle have a CB radio, by chance?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd bet previous owner may not have fully seated the control connectors on the radio, which sits in the trunk.

Does this motorcycle have a CB radio, by chance?
I checked the connector they are secure. There are 2 empty connection on the box and a loose 3 pin connector the appears to go to nothing. As far as the CB it has controls for it on the handle bars.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Your description describes the CB radio isn't present, based on "2 empty connection on the box and a loose 3 pin connector". Thus, the CB handlebar controls do nothing, as you know.

Did you take up @Sierra-mc on their offer to assist? That may be the next step in the process.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
I checked the connector they are secure. There are 2 empty connection on the box and a loose 3 pin connector the appears to go to nothing. As far as the CB it has controls for it on the handle bars.
CB controls were standard on 1832 GW's, but the actual radio was optional.

Does the bike have 2 antenna's?

CB antenna was also optional.

First wing I bought was a used one. Original owner kept the CB radio for his new one. The antenna was left installed, so they didn't need to have to patch the hole that would have been left if it was removed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CB controls were standard on 1832 GW's, but the actual radio was optional.

Does the bike have 2 antenna's?

CB antenna was also optional.

First wing I bought was a used one. Original owner kept the CB radio for his new one. The antenna was left installed, so they didn't need to have to patch the hole that would have been left if it was removed.
Only 1 antenna and it doesn't appear a second was ever installed.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
I'm struggling to isolate the issue this way...

Do you have static on FM on *any* channel??

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Okay...now I can put a few minutes of time on this...

# Does this bike have navigation?

# Does this bike have Sirius/XM (button on radio that says XM)

Press and hold AUDIO button for 2 seconds. This should kill all power to the audio system.

Press and hold AUDIO button for ~ one second, it should turn on, now hit FM button.

Try that AUDIO on/off dance, each time, hit one of the other functions AM, AUX, XM (if there); confirm results are same.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay...now I can put a few minutes of time on this...

# Does this bike have navigation?

# Does this bike have Sirius/XM (button on radio that says XM)

Press and hold AUDIO button for 2 seconds. This should kill all power to the audio system.

Press and hold AUDIO button for ~ one second, it should turn on, now hit FM button.

Try that AUDIO on/off dance, each time, hit one of the other functions AM, AUX, XM (if there); confirm results are same.
No XM or navigation. I tried your suggestion with the same results. When I do press AM or FM the LCD goes blank except for the time. Aux in WB and usb in the trunk have always worked.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Sorry, I'm stumped.

My final suggestion is to head over to the Florida sub-forum http://gl1800riders.com/forums/30-florida-fl/ and see if there's anyone reasonably close to you that may be able to assist in person.

This is one of those problems that might solve itself with a second functioning motorcycle handy in order to prove the issue is either in the radio itself *or* in the control head in the fairing.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts