GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needless to say, I love the Wing... there's just one thing that's getting under my skin. Whenever I go over train tracks, pot holes, speed bumps, curbs (lol) I have a fairly pronounced rattle in the front end. Not sure where it is yet, but I've got the bike torn apart trying to find the darn thing. It sure would be easier if I could replicate on the center stand, but I can't. I guess I'll take as much off as I can, test drive, and if it's still there, start taking more off. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine rattles in the same area under the same circumstances. If I wedge my fingers between the gray housing/dash cover and the message screen, it stops. I have taken the cover off and put lots of thick weather stripping there to create cushioning, but it still happens unless I hold it there. Everything down there is tight. I've gone over every bolted and screwed connection, several times, but it is still there. My bike is an 01 with 61,000 miles on it (bought it new) and I noticed the rattle noise has developed in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Honda has taken care of this on the newer models.....'06 & '07.....the radio is louder now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check the mounting area of the rear portion of the front fender. There are many reports of fender breaking and cracking in this area. Problem is relevant to all year models of the 1800.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The last deep rattle I experienced turned out to be a loose handlebar weight. I thought I had a front end problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a noise, rattle or what ever and was getting to me. :cus: A 06 wing should be tight and nothing loose. I made a beer run to the boat dock with no helmet gee no rattle. Put my half helmet on and the dang noise came back. Stupid me and 1000 miles found out that the 3 snap visor was making the noise when the wind caught it. Took the visor off and No more rattle.. I was going to sell and buy a HD, but now Im a winger again... :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same rattle until I removed some batteries from the left side pocket. Check what you have in the pockets.

Rich.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine has the same noise/rattle. There are 2 black pop type plastic rivets in the top of the fender(holding in the chrome top cover) that sometimes pop out. Stops a lot of rattle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My rattle is the windshield vent. It is loose and won't tighten any more.

·
Registered
552 Posts
jheck said:
Needless to say, I love the Wing... there's just one thing that's getting under my skin. Whenever I go over train tracks, pot holes, speed bumps, curbs (lol) I have a fairly pronounced rattle in the front end. Not sure where it is yet, but I've got the bike torn apart trying to find the darn thing. It sure would be easier if I could replicate on the center stand, but I can't. I guess I'll take as much off as I can, test drive, and if it's still there, start taking more off. Anyone else experience this?
Yes... I had to take off my windshield cover and tighten down and silicone the windshield slides. The are prone to rattle.

S

·
0 Posts
Mine used to rattle like crazy - it is the windscreen mountings. I never adjust my windscreen so what I did was pull the cowling and install rubber washers on all the windscreen holding screws. No rattle and the windscreen is all the way down and stays that way.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you were wearing foam ear plugs to protect your hearing, you wouldn't hear all that noise and you would have a care free ride! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts