GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I predict a lean over, dig it into the pavement, unload the back tire, and bust your a$$. Don't mean to be harsh but I have witnessed that exact thing happen right in front of me. Pitched the guy off then the bike stood back up and ran down the road about a hundred yards before it fell over and did some damage to both rider and bike.

Busted ribs hurt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine are on the vertical bar as well. You ask the question about “dangerously low” and “flying to close to the road”. I think you can probably answered your own question and hopefully do so correctly before you take your test ride.

Reactions: CAWing

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
LEAVE THEM LIKE THAT BUT MAKE SURE WHOS "FOLLOWING " HAS THE CAMERA RUNNING . LOVE YOUTUBE STUFF !!! :surprise::frown2::laugh::laugh: IF YA GOT TO "THINK" ITS TO LOW IT PROBABLY IS !:serious:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Too low

I would never ride with highway footboards that low. I use Mic-o-Pegs mounted on the vertical bar. I want to have the bike footpegs hit the ground first as I’m turning so I have some feedback on how sharp I’m turning. I even put steel pucks under my footpegs so I can drag them and not hurt anything. Personally I counter lean at low speeds so I also would never get out of a parking lot with those footboards. Probably 90% of the days I ride I drag my footpegs and my bike has strong springs on both the front and the back so it rides higher than most.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Check out YouTube for 'Aircraft Ground-Loop'. :0)

YES, waaay too low.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
And your next post will Be ...............yep, they were way tooo low, I should of listened!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
927 Posts
Anything lower than (a line between) the tire track centerline and the foot peg 'feeler nut' is going to touch down...you don't want that to be a hard part. That'll take all the fun out of the ride!! B.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
I have a buddy that has them that low and loves them. He took apart the arm and cut a couple notches off so when it hits it just floats. Put you still get that awful dragging sound.

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, they would have kept your standard foot rests from dragging! I've made mine drag from time to time with a hard lean, they are hinged for a reason.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You're on the right path going w/MOP best of both worlds. Personally I would opt for the mounts on the vertical bar....I have mine on the horz. bar and have worn the mount to the point that half of the head of the allen screw is just about ground off...Just a thought. B.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had those same Kuryakyn boards on my bike mounted the same way. They will scrape and are no longer on my bike.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You will kill yourself if you leave those on your bike like that and try to ride the bike.

I really hope this is a joke.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts