GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When adding accessories, I really try not to add things that increase the weight of the bike unnecessarily as I like the bike to be as light and nimble as it can be for performance reasons, not to mention that it allows me more weight for packing.

Enter the Kuyarakyn Transformer floor boards for the passenger. I got a set after my wife begged me for them. These things weigh a ton. I put them on the scales and each one weighs 5 lbs!!!

10 lbs for passenger floor boards??? There is simply no reason for them to be this heavy. They must be made out of billet lead. Am I the only one that notices this? I like the boards, but I almost don't want to hang them on the bike. This seems a bit ridiculous, it is after all a motorcycle, not a tank.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,496 Posts
Fred H. said:
When adding accessories, I really try not to add things that increase the weight of the bike unnecessarily as I like the bike to be as light and nimble as it can be for performance reasons, not to mention that it allows me more weight for packing.

Enter the Kuyarakyn Transformer floor boards for the passenger. I got a set after my wife begged me for them. These things weigh a ton. I put them on the scales and each one weighs 5 lbs!!! There is simply no reason for them to be this heavy. They must be made out of billet lead. Am I the only one that notices this? I like the boards, but I almost don't want to hang them on the bike. This seems a bit ridiculous, it is after all a motorcycle, not a tank.
Yes I agree ...
everything I've put on from Kury is very heavy ...
switchblade hi-way pegs
heel toe shifter
transformer boards (wife loves them though).

I should have weighed them ... I estimated about 25 lbs total but is probably a little less.

Dennis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,099 Posts
When I was adding crap to my airplane, there was a weight and balance run after nearly every add-on. And then I promptly forgot about it.

Another way of looking at it, is leave the boards off. And when the swelling in the top of the noggin your better half gives you goes down, they will appear a lot lighter...

Yea, they are heavy, but damn if I will say anything....... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,439 Posts
I have to agree with you about the weight of those things. They are just plain heavy. Well Fred, maybe you will have to trike your bike to handle the extra weight. LOL's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,393 Posts
IR Harry said:
When I was adding crap to my airplane, there was a weight and balance run after nearly every add-on. And then I promptly forgot about it.

Another way of looking at it, is leave the boards off. And when the swelling in the top of the noggin your better half gives you goes down, they will appear a lot lighter...

Yea, they are heavy, but damn if I will say anything....... :lol:

I agree with IR Harry, the swelling makes it appear to be lighter...thats all that counts on my rides... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Fred:

If you do send them back you will probably loose a lot of other weight because the SO might stop riding with you, she may also stop giving you gas money for the Wing :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
not one of us rides these bikes to their limit. a few lbs here and there are not going to cause any undo reaction on anything....sheesh...if a few lbs upset everyone and their bikes...we all need to go on diets...we are the biggest piece of dead weight on these things
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pdxgoldwing said:
not one of us rides these bikes to their limit.
Don't be so sure about that.

It all adds up. A little here and a little there and next thing you know you are riding an overweight pig. My wife picked one up and she agrees that they are too heavy, and gave me the OK to send them back.

I am thinking that maybe the VP version might be a better solution.

http://www.vpaccessories.com/1800.htm

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,496 Posts
Fred H. said:
I am seriously considering sending them back. They just seem obnoxiously heavy to me.
try to think of the bright side ...
at least,
with the transformers
you get to take a little bit of weight off (the old boards)

everything else from them is just plus plus plus ....
:roll:

Dennis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,433 Posts
Fred: I think they're trying to tell you that you are over-reacting.

You're right, they would seem unnecessarily heavy, but I really can't imagine they are going to effect the handling in any discernable way. I also bet that the weight limits published n the manual are set deliberately low at the insistence of Honda's product liability lawyers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
wingwing said:
Fred H. said:
I am seriously considering sending them back. They just seem obnoxiously heavy to me.
try to think of the bright side ...
at least, with the transformers you get to take a little bit of weight off (the old boards) everything else from them is just plus plus plus ....
:roll:
True...

Fred, how much do the OEM passenger floorboards that you are taking off weigh?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess my problem with them is that I am so carefull about how I pack when I travel to try to minimize weight, that these things just go against my grain. I purposely bought a small 4lb laptop that cost more money cause it was lighter and wouldn't weigh the bike down so much, and I carefully evaluate everything I pack to minimize weight. These two boards weigh more than all my clothes I carry and my tool kit. I'm sorry, but that is just wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,036 Posts
Kinda sounds like YOU don't really have a choice Fred, they have to go back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
Fred H. said:
... and I carefully evaluate everything I pack to minimize weight. These two boards weigh more than all my clothes I carry and my tool kit. I'm sorry, but that is just wrong.
YOU enjoy riding your bike, Your WIFE gets to sit behind you and stare at your helmet. (Gross simplification... :wink: )

You are blessed to have a wife that enjoys riding with you so much, so make sure she is comfortable back there. If a few extra pounds of transformer boards are what will make her happy and more comfortable, I say GO FOR IT and save weight somewhere else.

(And you can tell your wife she can keep the transformer boards if she promises to not gain any weight. - NOT! :lol: )
 

·
Old Crusty Member
Joined
·
76 Posts
I can't believe you reasonably intelligent guys are actually discussing concern by adding 10lbs of floorboards to an 800 pound bike. That works out to be ,0125 % increase in weight.
I would also bet you that if you were blindfolded and didn't know the actual weight of the bike you wouldn't even notice 40 or 50 or even 60 lbs if it were evenly distributed...............get real..................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Weight

Fred try the Drag Specialties passenger adjustable foot pegs # 1904-0014...very lite...and much less $$$ than the transformer boards...they mount behind the stock passenger boards and swing back to bag guard and rise forward for passenger foot position change...I too like to keep my accessories lite as possible...
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top