GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching GL1800 arm rests to help enclose by 27# Pug on the pillion seat. Does anyone have a better suggestion for arm rests rather than the AMA/2006. I want the most durable available, plus the most mass for enclosure. The little guy is always strapped on with a harness, and rides well, but I will feel more secure with with some type enclosure. All suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Whatever you end up with for armrests, I applaud you for making things as safe as possible for your friend. My bike is equipped with Kury armrests and a utopia backrest. I use a set(2) of the stretchy nets they sell at Wally World to enclose the seat for our "Gracey"(a 20# wheaton Scottie) who LOVES to ride. The nets have 3 hooks along two sides and 2 on the other 2. The side with three I hook the first hook on the trunk rack, the second on the armrest just under the pad and the third goes to the far side, top of the Utopia stem. The bottom front hook hooks in the seat bolt recess, the second wraps through the grab handle and hooks back on the net. the last corner hooks under the mount for the Kury armrest. Repeat for the other side. Gracies tether (hooked to the adjuster on the Utopia) is just long enough for her to get her face in the wind and her chin up to my shoulder (her preferred riding position). these nets provide a secure and IMHO safe enclosure for Gracie. In the winter, I have a small blanket that lines the inside of the nets and provides her a place to get out of the wind if she prefers. simple and effective. Hope you have many happy miles with your Pug.

BTW, you didn't ask, but one of my good friends is a vet. I asked him about Gracie riding with me. He thought it would be much less stressful and more enjoyable for her to be with me than being left at home when she wanted to go. His suggestion was to take her to the bike and let her decide if she wanted to get on... She does. His only other suggestion was to make sure her eyes didn't dry out, that if she would tolerate it, she should wear Doggles. She has learned they are a part of riding and willingly lets me put them on. I think she actually prefers the wind not slapping her hair in her eyes.

Enjoy! (and of course, put your flame suit on, chicken little will be along in a moment to tell you this is animal abuse....) Enjoy anyway!:thumbup:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a small pug. She is smaller than yours. She goes with me when I am gone for several days. I am looking at another type carrier, I currently use a dog porter. I feel it is more secure. She tolerates it but, she doesn't have them movement I would like for her to have. I will also get the doggles. My other concern is with their short nasal passage, they can get a nasal infection easily. She is in my signature and ready to go while on one of my trips to the mountains.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever you end up with for armrests, I applaud you for making things as safe as possible for your friend. My bike is equipped with Kury armrests and a utopia backrest. I use a set(2) of the stretchy nets they sell at Wally World to enclose the seat for our "Gracey"(a 20# wheaton Scottie) who LOVES to ride. The nets have 3 hooks along two sides and 2 on the other 2. The side with three I hook the first hook on the trunk rack, the second on the armrest just under the pad and the third goes to the far side, top of the Utopia stem. The bottom front hook hooks in the seat bolt recess, the second wraps through the grab handle and hooks back on the net. the last corner hooks under the mount for the Kury armrest. Repeat for the other side. Gracies tether (hooked to the adjuster on the Utopia) is just long enough for her to get her face in the wind and her chin up to my shoulder (her preferred riding position). these nets provide a secure and IMHO safe enclosure for Gracie. In the winter, I have a small blanket that lines the inside of the nets and provides her a place to get out of the wind if she prefers. simple and effective. Hope you have many happy miles with your Pug.

BTW, you didn't ask, but one of my good friends is a vet. I asked him about Gracie riding with me. He thought it would be much less stressful and more enjoyable for her to be with me than being left at home when she wanted to go. His suggestion was to take her to the bike and let her decide if she wanted to get on... She does. His only other suggestion was to make sure her eyes didn't dry out, that if she would tolerate it, she should wear Doggles. She has learned they are a part of riding and willingly lets me put them on. I think she actually prefers the wind not slapping her hair in her eyes.

Enjoy! (and of course, put your flame suit on, chicken little will be along in a moment to tell you this is animal abuse....) Enjoy anyway!:thumbup:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
Steve

Thanks much for for giving me some ideas on enclosing Pugsley. I am about convinced that the AMA arm rests are a good choice, plus I really like your system of the nets. Pugsley has been riding on my bikes since he was six months old, and is now four. He is the best riding pardner I've ever found. It is amazing the joy these little creatures bring into our lives. I really think that Pugsley enjoys riding at least as much as me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
revrunt- can you post pictures. I do not have a trunk rack. For me pictures are easier for simpler folk like me. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
revrunt- can you post pictures. I do not have a trunk rack. For me pictures are easier for simpler folk like me. Thanks.
ask and .... I'll try....:shrug:

smgracienet.jpg

gracienet2.jpg

gracieonbike.jpg

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Armrests

On 2 September, I ordered the AMA2006 Armrests from DLP. However, they are not in stock, so it may be a couple of weeks before they arrive. Since I am planning another trip soon, I considered buying the Rivco Armrests instead, however, I already have the Honda Armrests on the Wing, and according to the AMA site, they are not compatable with the AMA2006's. I do want to leave the Honda armrests on, since they will improve the enclosure for Pugsley. The guy I spoke with at the AMA site didn't seem very knowledgeable, so am wondering if anyone here has both of those armrests on the Wing.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2 September, I ordered the AMA2006 Armrests from DLP. However, they are not in stock, so it may be a couple of weeks before they arrive. Since I am planning another trip soon, I considered buying the Rivco Armrests instead, however, I already have the Honda Armrests on the Wing, and according to the AMA site, they are not compatable with the AMA2006's. I do want to leave the Honda armrests on, since they will improve the enclosure for Pugsley. The guy I spoke with at the AMA site didn't seem very knowledgeable, so am wondering if anyone here has both of those armrests on the Wing.
The AMA2006 Armrests are on back order, with target dte of 28 September for shipment. It looks like about every dealer has the AMA2006's listed as out of stock.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good posts. I also take our Bishon with us from time to time. I like the cargo nets idea. When you first wrote about it I invisioned screen mesh type net, and also thought you had the top covered. Good idea.

I use a dog carrier I bought from Petco and it works pretty well, except it is somewhat confining. I don't have armrests, so I'm not sure if I can rig up something like what revrunt did but I will give it a try as we love taking our dog.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ama2006

Yesterday, I installed the new armrests. It was a difficult job, mainly due to inadequate instructions, no pictures, parts list, etc. However, they appear to be excellent quality, and solid as a rock. In fact, I showed them to the owner of my favorite Honda shop this afternoon. He agreed that they apear to be the highest quality available, plus extremely sturdy. He showed me a few other installed armrests at his dealership, and it seems none of those were comparable to the AMA2006. He is going to look into slling AMA's.

I bought those armrests from Direct Line Parts, the board sponsor. Excellent service.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
....so how does Pugsley like 'em? would like to see pics once you get the bugs worked out...:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....so how does Pugsley like 'em? would like to see pics once you get the bugs worked out...:thumbup:
Pugsley seems to love the new armrests, but he he is always happy riding on that heated pillion seat. I will post photos shortly, thst is, if I figure out how to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts