GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was recently riding solo on my 2018 GWT6. Cruise control on a great four-lane secondary road with a wide median, staying in the far right lane. Behind me, in the distance, I see a group of motorcycle riders very gradually catching me, maybe at +2 mph, riding in a two-by-two stagger. As they get close, a cage driver in the left lane not only doesn't change lanes to let them pass, but he appears to intentionally slow down using me as a pick to block both lanes. By this time, two riders are past me, the next two are even with me. Suddenly, everyone in the group slows down as a unit (no following traffic).

I watch in my mirror, and the group lets about a 300-meter gap develop, and then they resume speed. About five minutes later, they are again approaching me as I've continued in the right lane on cruise control. I'm about to overtake a semi, and I don't want to impede their progress, so I accelerate around the semi and get back in the right lane. The motorcycle group slowly passes, and the single trail rider gives me a thumbs up.

It was a group of military veterans, nine bikes, some HD's, at least one Victory, and at least one GW. There were riding two-by-two with a solo trail rider. It was obvious that they had Bluetooth/CB commo for the entire group. The lead rider would communicate that they were going to execute a lane change, and then the trail rider would change lanes to ensure that the entire group could merge into the lane without incident. If only all group rides were this organized. I've been on a few, they were totally disorganized, and I soon dropped out of the group because of the complete disorganization. This was the first group that I would have proud to have been a part of.

Well done Veterans...well done!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Ride with a STAR (Yamaha & of course now mostly GW's) group and you will a well organized and safe group. I've always been impressed with this.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I ride with the local Star group. And yes, they are well organized.
And they don't care that I ride a Goldwing instead of a Yamaha!
They move right along too. They don't drive like a bunch of 'ol ladies. LOL!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
My wife and I call that "playing chess instead of checkers" on the highway.

When we are following one another we try to have the trailing car pull out and back in first or as a unit, and that avoids a whole lot of complications with the other human units on the road who speed up, slow down, and otherwise float around oblivious to their surroundings.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I ride with the local Star group. And yes, they are well organized.
And they don't care that I ride a Goldwing instead of a Yamaha!
They move right along too. They don't drive like a bunch of 'ol ladies. LOL!!
When I rode sport touring bikes, we didn't ride like old ladies either. We'd be spaced out alternating sides of the lane to leave room for surprises. Although I do remember one time about 5 H-D riders were rather ruse.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts