GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ride a 1500 Wing and I"m pretty good with it, but I couldn't even THINK about doing what he's doing with it!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
If we had a way of getting the answer to that, so we could crown a winner, it would make for a Fun poll, don't you think?
If the poll was done by brackets, say 10--20, 21-40, etc.....my guess would be OVER 120 times. lol
I rode for years with a few motor cops. All of them told me motor school was the hardest training they had done in law enforcement. They trained on Harley's and BMW bikes over the years. One of the guys went through the entire training and never dropped his BMW once. One of the guys he trained with dropped his BMW a lot and broke his ankle. Watching the rider in the video makes me think he was one of the guys that probably didn't drop his bike much, if at all.

I had purchased a Kawasaki Nomad long before my wing and asked my cop buddy to put it through it's paces. He got on the bike and immediately started dragging the floorboards in tight maneuvers like it was nothing. I envy those skills.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
When I lived in Fresno CA I use to frequent the Honda dealership in Madera CA. One Saturday 2 Fresno City officers were there on their BMW's giving us a safety class and after the class we all went outside and everyone was kicking tires and BSing. At that point the officers got on their bikes and put on a demonstration on a very narrow street in front of the dealership just like the video. We were all in awe of their skills. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
That cop is moving out! I can't do that well without dropping the bike because I don't do it as fast as they are doing it. I don't have a nice place to practice like they do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's something about hearing the scrapping of metal on the ground, would give me the creeps, if that was my bike....OUCH!
I've been riding motorcycles for 54 years (and I hate to admit, BUT I can't even do that good without falling over , and I ride a trike)

Ronnie
Right there with you and my Big Red CSC trike.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here's another one. After a short 1st gear launch, he's always into second gear straight away. Then he maintains 2nd gear at low RPM and relies on the 1800's enormous bottom-end torque to maintain consistency and momentum. He is also consistent in trail braking, looking through the turn and doesn't appear to be in the clutch friction zone (feathering the clutch) that often. Good stuff!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
That last one (the 2:36 min. one), he clipped a cone with the passenger arm rest. To me, riding like that is just pure fun. I just don't get the PLP time any more and my frequency of "as fast as I can" runs in the twisties has dropped, so I am way out of practice to even think I could keep that speed on those maneuvers. Doing them, sure; I would just be a little slower until I have done about 60 laps for the day. I have at least figured out how I can get back to leaving work in a tight curl out and not be threatened by the bicycle rack since bike parting got closer to the rack. I think the rack is about 7' away from my starting point now instead of the 10 it used to be. I sit stopped, turn right to the stop, put a little RPM in, hold the rear brake, find the friction zone, and let the bike drop into a tight right turn looping out and down the isle. Motion keeps the case guards off the pavement. I just need to figure out how to practice going left....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts