GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw something today I've never seen before since I've had Gold wings... I got home this afternoon, and after a couple of minutes trying to persuade the garage door to open for me, I parked and found a fresh oil spot at the top of the driveway, and when I looked under the front wheel, there was more there..

While marveling at the novelty of an oil leak, I found that my Kury chrome timing chain cover plug had taken off for parts unknown.. I guess it must have been on the ride, since the dipstick didn't give me any alarming news..

That's teach me to check on bolts at least once a year or so.. I put that cover on last winter.. Never had one fly on me before.. Fortunately, I still had the original one..

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Joe,
Yeah I think everyone needs to have a regular bolt and screw check schedule. It's a bike, things are gonna come loose. While on a recent ride I felt a hard strike on my boot and thought that was a helluva rock where it come from? I was on a asphalt 2 lane at the time. A couple of days later I noticed the handlebar end weight and screw missing and made the connection. Duh on me.
:roll:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Have a look at the left fork seal too.... That's normally where an oil spot like that comes from!!!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I would also be checking real close the left front fork to see if the seal has given out. That is the most likely reason for oil under your front wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts