GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we never been to the event. Just gone my wing and thinking this would be a nice trip/ride for us. Anyone else planning on going up?

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
The rides around the surrounding mountains are spectacular. I went twice once in 1986 and 2010. I may be riding up again this year.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Definitely worth the trip if you have never been before. Largest touring rally in the world. Even though vendor participation has dropped a bit in the last couple of years, you won't notice if you haven't been and there will still be PLENTY of vendors there to spend your money with. The guided and unguided tours are great, the seminars are informative and the vendor-sponsored dinner cruises on Lake George are a lot of fun.

Go and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
This will be my 23rd (in a row) trip to Americade. Great area for riding and very enjoyable week. Just don't plan too many events for the week. It an get overwhelming. Get the full package. It includes a lot of things to do.
Make reservations now. The motels and campgrounds near Lake George fill up pretty quickly. Takes us about 10 hours from the Pittsburgh area. We don't push it and make a few pit stops on the way. We also are pulling campers, so we normally drive just above the speed limit.
Take clothing for all types of weather. last few years have been damp. Temps can range from the 40's to the upper 80's in June.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have gone every year but 2 since it started. Although wife and I only go for an overnight. It's a 5 hour ride for us. When I worked we used to go on Friday and come home on Saturday or Sunday depending on the route back. In all the years we went on Friday we only had one year we could not find a room. We always went the last Friday of the rally week. Now we go on Tuesdays and there are plenty of vacancies. If you plan to spend more than one night I would make reservations. If you plan on going the beginning of the rally week you should be fine getting a room without reservations. By beginning I mean Monday & Tuesday. I go just to watch all the bikes downtown Friday night. Last year I did not even go into the vendor area. After almost 30 years I just don't get excited about seeing the same old stuff. Now if I had a new Wing I would go to get matching helmets etc... You will not regret going. I like to stay at Surfside and always get a room next to the outdoor pool. You can walk to everything from there.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you haven't ever been to the Americade I would say go you'll enjoy it, but I've been going for so many years I now go to the Wing-Ding since it's in a different state every year and now I'm enjoying that so much better. Good Luck & Enjoy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have another question about the event for who have been there. My wife probably wouldn't be able to take off for the week of Americade. Most likely do 3 or 4 day trip(weekend). So, would it be better to go the weekend leading up to Americade ( friday may 30 to june 2nd) or go at the end of Americade. ?

I've been to daytona several times. And the crowds will be there.

And I looked at the web site, Do you have to "sign up" for all the events/rides before hand? ?? We are newbies to Americade.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Nothing really starts until Tuesday. If your time is limited, the latter days would be your choice.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I would go at the end of the week but finding a room could be a challenge and the hotels usually want you to stay 3 nights or more. The beginning of the week a room would not be a problem. If you don't make reservations and your time is flexible you can play the weather.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I went the first seven years it a row but grew tired of the crowds so now I just do a ride through and enjoy the great roads in the area, you may want to include VT,NH,ME & Western Mass. in your ride if you have the time all with great scenery any great bike roads

Hello, we never been to the event. Just gone my wing and thinking this would be a nice trip/ride for us. Anyone else planning on going up?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have gone all but 2 years since it started in '83 I believe. I go just for the ride over. It's a beautiful 250 mile ride from my house through Maine, NH, VT and finally NY. Last year was the first time in all those years that I did not even go into the vendor area. I like to go just for one night to walk downtown and look at all the bikes at night. If you go on the last weekend be sure to get reservations. I am retired now and went on a Tuesday last year and there were plenty of vacancies for one or 2 nights. Being retired is nice since we can pick a good weather day to go. It rains during that week often but there are years with no rain. If you go you may wish to head back to PA via Loconia NH. Bike Week at Laconia starts the Sunday after Americade ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts