15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ??

Matt(BCNV) :cool:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Was going to demo a 2012 wing. The girl told me that they started taking reservations at 7:00 am and by 7:05 am they were full. The 1600 bmw was also full up. I did take out a can-am. Was impressed. It's not a wing but still nice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was a great week, even got mother nature to wash off all the pollin on the way home today.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Rode up from Central Mass Tuesday in 90 + degree heat and home today in 52 degree rain, quite a difference in less than a week. All in all it was a good event, nothing really new. A couple of vendors who have been missing the past few years were back (Honda and BMW). Probably because they both have new bikes to introduce.
Like someone else posted GW demo rides were booked. I did get to ride the BMW 1600 GLT and liked it. I heard the demo rides were long and aggressive but they had been shortened. The leader said they were directed to get as many butts in the saddle as possible.
The heat may have kept many people away on Tues-Wed as the Tour expo was dead. There was only one tire vendor installing tires (Avon). Generally in the past Dunlop and Metzlers were also there. Bridgestones were there but were not installing.
The move from Roaring Brook ranch to Fort William Henry seemed to work well and everything is more centralized now.
We had nice weather to ride up to Lake Placid on Thursday and other local roads on Friday.
All in all a good week.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The vendor presence in Warrensburg keeps growing, including Dunlop installs this year. One new vendor there I won't name informed me that he would have had to do a steady business for the first 3 (out of 5) days just to pay the rent at Tour Expo. I noticed many companies that used to display at Tour Expo (that's Americade for anyone that's confused) that are now up in W.

Apart from that, the scene in Lake George is pretty cool, despite unbelievable temps in the 90's for 2 days. The better restaurants are still open & the bike watching is like nowhere else.

Loads of people, including myself, are preparing for Laconia and Mt. Washington Bike Day next week. It'll be another great week, then I got a trip west planned, THEN I'll think about a job. Or not. Depends on the weather.

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vendor presence in Warrensburg keeps growing, including Dunlop installs this year. One new vendor there I won't name informed me that he would have had to do a steady business for the first 3 (out of 5) days just to pay the rent at Tour Expo. I noticed many companies that used to display at Tour Expo (that's Americade for anyone that's confused) that are now up in W.

Apart from that, the scene in Lake George is pretty cool, despite unbelievable temps in the 90's for 2 days. The better restaurants are still open & the bike watching is like nowhere else.

Loads of people, including myself, are preparing for Laconia and Mt. Washington Bike Day next week. It'll be another great week, then I got a trip west planned, THEN I'll think about a job. Or not. Depends on the weather.
Nice!!

I sure do miss going...

Good time had by ALL!!

despite the Pollen and Humidity!!!

Matt(BCNV) :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I had a good week in LG. I road 400+ miles a day touring the Adarondacks and the Green mtns of VT. Also took a day trip to Kennebunkport ME, almost 600miles round trip and a nice ride up rt 22 along lake Champlain to Plattsburg then along the top of NYon rt 11 to Postsdam and then back route 28 along Tupper, long, Blue mtn and Indian lakes back down to LG. In total for the week I logged 2063 miles from Mon. to Fri. door to door. I got rained on once for 10 min and spritzed on twice for 5 mins but all the rest of the time it was great weather and as always great roads. I picked up my new Titanium 1800 March 22 this year and total so far on clock 7019miles and with all the rain up here in the north east this spring, that's not too bad.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Weather was HOT....
Beer was Cold.....
Harleys were NOISY.....
Pool was CHILLY.....
Bling was EVERYWHERE....
Life was GOOD!

Er.....A.....Same as always.............:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You know what I re-noticed....

Harley guys with the obnoxiously loud pipes....what's the f-ing point?

I know different strokes and all...but geez o pete. These pipes now a days are so loud....it literally shakes your brain.

I liked looking at all the bikes, most everyone is very friendly and the town is very beautiful.

Good time....next year I am going to stay longer.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Got back a few hours ago, our first Americade. I got to ride both the Goldwing and the K1600GTL but I posted my impressions of those rides on one of the several dozen K1600GTL threads, not sure which one. Suffice to say that we (wife & I) LOVE the 'Wing but didn't care much for the BMW. The weather was certainly a surprise being as hot and humid as it was. Glad our hotel (Tiki Resort) had a pool, we took full advantage of it. Hotel was fine, clean linens, nice cool A/C and far enough away from the crazies but near enough to everything else. Tour Expo was fun and informative, spent more money on myself in two days than I've spent in two decades (not counting the bike purchase). Still didn't buy everything I wanted (or should have, Lee Parks cargo bag) but was happy with all the vendors except for one thing: Lots of vendors would only display their products but weren't SELLING them (Scala Rider in particular). I had hopes of purchasing a Teamset Pro bluetooth set but I would have had to buy them at a different booth and pay too much then the Scala guys would do a free install. Not this time, I'll buy a set from Wingstuff and do the install myself. Anyways, nice to have a shuttle to go from place to place. Did the covered bridge tour on Friday and saw a couple behind us have a bad accident, she required hospitalization, didn't appear to be major trauma but the ride continued and I haven't been able to find out how the lady is.
Hope someone can fill me in. Fireworks and the whole Friday night deal was fun. Did the Fort Henry tour, that was very interesting. Didn't get caught in the rain at all, every time it rained we were eating. Since Saturday was a washout we spent most of the day at the Expos and spent last night down by Duffy's and those places watching the crazies.
Would definitely go back next year, hopefully on a brand new GL1800.

Ride report here:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285310&page=2&highlight=k1600

·
Registered
260 Posts
Weather was HOT....
Beer was Cold.....
Harleys were NOISY.....
Pool was CHILLY.....
Bling was EVERYWHERE....
Life was GOOD!

Er.....A.....Same as always.............:thumbup:
I agree whole-heartedly!!! Had a great time!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I went to my first Americade this year and was very impressed with the organization and the variety of activities at the event.

There were a lot of vendors at Tour Expo and the indoor vendor expo as well. Next year, I wlll book a hotel closer to the Fort (traffic was murder on Route 9).

We took a ride through the Adirondacks and visited Lake Placid (and a bunch of other beautiful lakes).

We rode up from Va via New Hampshire to ride Mt. Washington. The summit has some incredible views, but the road is in awful shape (not to mention the approximately 1 mile of gravel near the top).

All in all, I would highly recommend this event and will do it again next year.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Just got back last night but didn't spend a lot of time at Americade, just Saturday. Place was packed, it was raining and it was LOUD.

Paid $10 to get into the vendors, no price breaks on anything I could find, Kury- no one, same prices as the internet with NYS tax to boot, I was kind of disappointed overall but will be going next year and staying longer to take in everything. My wife and I bought a lemonade in the vendor area and it cost SIX BUCKS...........I almost fell over after paying ten to get in. Lots of nice bikes, got some great ideas for some new add ons.

Went to the top of White Face Mountain, bumpy road up there but man, what a view from up there, had to be over 200 bikes up there when we left.

We stayed in Lake Placid Thursday and Friday and then rode down to Lake George on Saturday, the traffic was crazy, even in the rain.

I plan on going next year but need to plan sufficiently ahead to get a hotel in Lake George. Put almost 900 miles on her in four days but saw most of the Adirondack park.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Some of you may wish to consider going early in the week and then leaving Thursday or Friday

We usually go up Monday, but this year we went up Sunday...a lot less people and much quieter. Go to the vendors early in the week

By the weekend, all the squids, day trippers and the loud, throttle blipping look at me posers show up....that is when it is time to leave town.

Also, you can often get a better rate on a motel room is you arrive earlier in the week and leave Thursday or Friday morning...lotsa people lookg for a Friday/Saturday night stay.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Some of you may wish to consider going early in the week and then leaving Thursday or Friday

We usually go up Monday, but this year we went up Sunday...a lot less people and much quieter. Go to the vendors early in the week

By the weekend, all the squids, day trippers and the loud, throttle blipping look at me posers show up....that is when it is time to leave town.

Also, you can often get a better rate on a motel room is you arrive earlier in the week and leave Thursday or Friday morning...lotsa people lookg for a Friday/Saturday night stay.
+1.....We arrived on Sunday and pulled out on Thursday morning.:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
You know what I re-noticed....

Harley guys with the obnoxiously loud pipes....what's the f-ing point?

I know different strokes and all...but geez o pete. These pipes now a days are so loud....it literally shakes your brain.

I liked looking at all the bikes, most everyone is very friendly and the town is very beautiful.

Good time....next year I am going to stay longer.
I agree about those obnoxious loud pipes!!! I spent four days there, and the rally was great, with that exception. I did miss my 2012 Wing demo, due to rain.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Americade sounds very similar to Thunder Beach in Panama City FL.

Early in the week much quieter than the weekend. To many throttle blippers and burn outs. Even go passed 12 midnight. Hard to sleep that way.

I enjoyed Thunder Beach but the loud pipes SUCK!

No rain that week was gr8!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts