GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a little early but need to plan vacation trips etc for the summer. I'm looking at Deals Gap in May with my son, Sturgis on my own in August and a ride with the SO to Americade.

So I'm planning to head to Americade this summer in Lake George and am looking for previous visitors there that can give me some advice about hotels, what to expect, crowds, vendors etc.

I am planning to ride up north via the Adirondacks and across into Vermont, then back down through Ticonderoga and on to Lake George and Americade. I will be camping on some of those days with the SO, hotel/motel the other days.

When is the best time to attend, the beginning or the end.......not staying the entire time. Since this starts on the 7th my thought was to head out on the Sunday before, take a few days to get there and see the end of the show, head back on Friday to Rochester via the lower Adirondacks. So I'd plan on getting there Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning type thing...............I do not want to attempt to ride back on Saturday when the show ends...........I can imagine the traffic would be nuts then.

Any thoughts????

Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now is the time to plan for Americade lodging. Many places want you to reserve for the week, but if you look around there are bargains.

There are different events going on all week, so you should look at the Americade website to see what interests you. The crowds are thicker towards the end of the week. So are the quality of events. I tend to go Thursday or Friday and stay through the weekend, coming home on Sunday.

The traffic is usually very light through the lower Adirondack mountains. You should be okay whenever you choose to travel home.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a GOLD goldwing..........how cool is that!

Thanks man for the bounce back. I'm looking into the site (and subscribed) and trying to figure out where to stay, there are plenty of places that seem to allow one night stays ( a lot of places up there want two night mins) so I'll opt for the one night. I think I'll try Thursday Friday type thing and head out on Saturday back to Roc. I want to stop be the Magic Hat brewery south of Burlington on the way in........:p..........I like their beer a LOT.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah. The gold ones are SMARTER - lol.

I have to go up early this year, too. My American Legion Riders Post 905 - Springwater is having a poker run on Sat (Jun 11). I have to be back for that.

We tend to stay a few miles outside the city north towards Diamond Point or west towards Hadley. A lot of the smaller lodges and motels will have 1 or 2 night openings.

I highly suggest coming back on the rtes 28-8-365. That will take you though great Adirondack riding and put you in Rome. Frome there 49-3-104 will keep you out of most of the city traffic if that's what you're looking for. Alternately, cut over to Hadley and pick up the East Lake Road along the Great Sacandaga Lake (awesome riding) to Broadlbin and drop down to the Thruway in Amsterdam if you're in a hurry.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm there!

I've been going to the Americade for the past several years. Even tho i've seen and bought just about all i need i just love the peace and the beautiful roads up there. I'll be there again this year as well. I usually stay at the Country Inns and Suites a couple of miles down from the center of town. Not so noisey where i stay with all the bikes going back and forth all day and night. Hope to see ya there!!

·
Registered
8,475 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool and thanks for all the info.

I'd love to hook up with the people from this board while there, do you guys/ gals have a meeting "spot" while you're there? Maybe we should try to arrange something while we're up there?

If you have an interest, let me know and I'll see if we can set something up.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts

I'd love to hook up with the people from this board while there, do you guys/ gals have a meeting "spot" while you're there? Maybe we should try to arrange something while we're up there?

Cheers.
That would be great, am in, arrange it for toward the end of the week and let me know when and where.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Cheers.
Count me in. We'll probably head up there mid-week and leave Friday to make ALR run on Saturday. :tongue:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My intent right now is to be there sometime on Thursday. I'm planning to ride the ADK in the first part of the week down through Vermont and then into Lake George on Thursday or possibly Wednesday night, not sure, it's too early to know for sure.

I'm planning to leave sometime on Friday, so that would more than likely mean Thursday afternoon, evening type thing would work for us.

I assume, based on responses, that would work for you guys/gals as well?

Never being there, is there somewhere central/known to meet?

Cheers.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hello all,
We have been going up for years. Usually go up the Sunday before and leave on Saturday. Traffic is never a problem when we leave.
This year they are moving everything to the fort area, so it may be more congested than usual.
Spending only one or two days is tough. If you are like most people you will spend more than half a day at the tour expo. Then there are the vendors below town and the Warrensburg expo. And if you want a treat, try the Boss Hoss demo in Queensberry. It will cost you ten bucks, but is well worth it and you get a tee shirt.
The riding around the area is really great. We still have not found all the roads yet.
A must stop on the way up is the museum at Blue Mountain Lake. It is on the west side of the Adirondacks on route 8(check map) I believe. Continue north to Lake Placid then east to Vermont.
You will be hard pressed to do all in a week.
There are many fine places to eat in the area. George's is a must stop for us every year. It is on the east side of Lake George. Just go past the tour expo site and turn left at the tee. Make reservations as it fills up every night.
If you would like more info please let me know.
Ken Clark

·
Registered
129 Posts

Cheers.
Most of us go to the Tour Expo at some point and really don't need much encouragement to return. Suppose we meet at the food court sometime during the day on Thursday? Another possibility might be this park in the village: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lake+george,+ny&aq=&sll=43.210599,-77.590517&sspn=0.009133,0.022638&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Lake+George,+Warren,+New+York&ll=43.425589,-73.712656&spn=0,0.00283&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=43.42568,-73.712618&panoid=t_QDc2B0ZAd3dpSoMd5rqg&cbp=12,118.01,,0,-0.63

just in case someone doesn't want to do the Tour Expo.

We could meet at the Village mall if it's raining, [sic] When is it NOT RAINING during Americade? :joke:

Brennon

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good to me, check back here around the time of the event and I'll set something up so we can all meet up there.

Cheers. Paul

·
Registered
279 Posts
We will be there for a week from the Saturday prior.We are taking the Motorhome and trailer carrying the Wing before continuing upto Maine &Nova Scotia for the Summer.Would love to hook up.We will be staying at Lake George RV Park a few miles away.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You might want to start a new thread . As this posting was for last years Americade. We will be up there this year also , but on our new Harley.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We will be there for a week from the Saturday prior.We are taking the Motorhome and trailer carrying the Wing before continuing upto Maine &Nova Scotia for the Summer.Would love to hook up.We will be staying at Lake George RV Park a few miles away.
Gwing......I am planning to hit Americade this year, just not sure what days yet. The SO is not planning to attend, one year was enough for her but my brother in law and I will be there. I'll let you know what days and we can certainly connect while there. I am also planning a trip to Nova Scotia, as I think you are aware, for some time in July.......again, not sure of the dates as of right now. The SO is going on that one. We are planning to ride up through the northern Adirondacks via Plattsburgh for the first night. Then ferry across into Vermont then onto Bangor for night two. Third day we plan to ride to Oxford NS and the forth and fifth night in Baddeck NS. While there we are intending to ride the Cabot trail for a day ( CCW direction), then onto Halifax and Peggy's cove for one night. Then Digby ferry over to St John NB and start the trek home to Rochester. If you are going to be in NS while there, it would nice to connect with you. I'll let you know the dates as it gets closer and maybe it'll work out.

Cheers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gwing......I am planning to hit Americade this year, just not sure what days yet. The SO is not planning to attend, one year was enough for her but my brother in law and I will be there. I'll let you know what days and we can certainly connect while there. I am also planning a trip to Nova Scotia, as I think you are aware, for some time in July.......again, not sure of the dates as of right now. The SO is going on that one. We are planning to ride up through the northern Adirondacks via Plattsburgh for the first night. Then ferry across into Vermont then onto Bangor for night two. Third day we plan to ride to Oxford NS and the forth and fifth night in Baddeck NS. While there we are intending to ride the Cabot trail for a day ( CCW direction), then onto Halifax and Peggy's cove for one night. Then Digby ferry over to St John NB and start the trek home to Rochester. If you are going to be in NS while there, it would nice to connect with you. I'll let you know the dates as it gets closer and maybe it'll work out.

Cheers.
Sounds good.We can certainly hook up at Americade.As I said we are staying at Lake George RV Park for the week.After that we will amble over a few weeks getting to Bar Harbor Maine where we will stay July/Aug
We will do a weeks trip sometime towards the end July riding the Wing to St Johns taking the ferry across to Nova Scotia and staying in hotels.
Look forward to hooking up with you at Americade 2012.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good.We can certainly hook up at Americade.As I said we are staying at Lake George RV Park for the week.After that we will amble over a few weeks getting to Bar Harbor Maine where we will stay July/Aug
We will do a weeks trip sometime towards the end July riding the Wing to St Johns taking the ferry across to Nova Scotia and staying in hotels.
Look forward to hooking up with you at Americade 2012.
As things firm up, I'll let you know, my intent right now is approx the last two weeks of July to be in and around NS. I am riding around the ferry on the way in and staying in Truro, then Baddeck, then Halifax and taking the ferry back from Digby to St John. The SO is not a big "sea fairing" person so it's enough to get her on a boat once but it won't happen twice, so I figured I'd wait to ride the seas until we're on the way home.

Americade, depends on hotels. We are targeting the Thursday and Friday right now, the 7th and 8th and heading home on Saturday, maybe Sunday, not sure at this point. There is another rally that you might not know about the following week in Laconia, New Hampshire http://www.laconiamcweek.com/ I have never been there so can't speak to it but it might be of some interest to you, kind of like an "east coast Sturgis", so I've been told.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Been every year since it started but always rode up on Friday, day before it ended and rode back on Saturday. 5 hours one way for me - beautiful ride via Maine, NH, VT and NY. I go to the vendor displays every year, but it sure is getting old. I enjoy Friday night down town watching all the bikes. We have always been able to get a room for Friday night but you have to keep callling. People usually get tired of being there so they start cancelling late week and leaving early. I also found this year that most vendors are there the prior week in some town close to Lake George and it's free. You will enjoy it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also found this year that most vendors are there the prior week in some town close to Lake George and it's free. You will enjoy it.
There's a lot of activity & vendors in Warrensburg (first town north of Lake George), but it's mostly Harley related.
Also some vendors along Rt 9 south of Lake George.
Lots of stuff going on that week.

Ron
Queensbury, NY (first town south of L.G.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts