GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I know this is a little early but need to plan vacation trips etc for the summer. I'm looking at Deals Gap in May with my son, Sturgis on my own in August and a ride with the SO to Americade.

So I'm planning to head to Americade this summer in Lake George and am looking for previous visitors there that can give me some advice about hotels, what to expect, crowds, vendors etc.

I am planning to ride up north via the Adirondacks and across into Vermont, then back down through Ticonderoga and on to Lake George and Americade. I will be camping on some of those days with the SO, hotel/motel the other days.

When is the best time to attend, the beginning or the end.......not staying the entire time. Since this starts on the 7th my thought was to head out on the Sunday before, take a few days to get there and see the end of the show, head back on Friday to Rochester via the lower Adirondacks. So I'd plan on getting there Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning type thing...............I do not want to attempt to ride back on Saturday when the show ends...........I can imagine the traffic would be nuts then.

Any thoughts????

Thanks.
I've been all but 2 or 3 years since 1983 when it started. I do not like rally's much so we always leave Maine on Friday before closing weekend, 5 hour ride, spend the night to go downtown and see the bikes. Return via ferry at fort and through Vt. If you plan on only spending a night or 2 then you need to go at the end of the week and unfortunately, call starting Wednesday and keep trying all hotels until you can get a room. Hotels won't even talk to you before that since they want to book the entire week. Sturgis is on my bucket list for this year. I plan on riding out having wife fly in for a day then head to the West coast to tour for awhile with her. I retired last month so I have the time but wife's health is not great so having her fly out seems like the best option. I sure would like to have someone to ride with and possibly share a room or tent if you are tenting. I had a time-out but for 10 years but sold it since wife says "Hotels from here on out".

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've been all but 2 or 3 years since 1983 when it started. I do not like rally's much so we always leave Maine on Friday before closing weekend, 5 hour ride, spend the night to go downtown and see the bikes. Return via ferry at fort and through Vt. If you plan on only spending a night or 2 then you need to go at the end of the week and unfortunately, call starting Wednesday and keep trying all hotels until you can get a room. Hotels won't even talk to you before that since they want to book the entire week. Sturgis is on my bucket list for this year. I plan on riding out having wife fly in for a day then head to the West coast to tour for awhile with her. I retired last month so I have the time but wife's health is not great so having her fly out seems like the best option. I sure would like to have someone to ride with and possibly share a room or tent if you are tenting. I had a time-out but for 10 years but sold it since wife says "Hotels from here on out".
JERRIERIC........Tentative plan right now and is tied to my son. He is being transferred to Fairchild AFB in Spokane Washington in June from Wichita. Assuming everything goes as planned, I am going to attend Sturgis in August. The wife is going to fly out there and I am planning to pick her up in Gillette Wyoming and then continue on to Spokane ( she is not attending Sturgis, has no interest in it). She will then fly home and I will ride back to New York on my own from Spokane. I would love to ride up to Sturgis with someone, so if you are interested, drop me a PM with your email addy and we'll see if we can set something up. Since you are in Maine, you can swing be here, spend the night and we can leave from here.........unless you have ideas for another route ( like through Canada).

Fair warning, I'm not a superslab fan but will ride them when needed, so my intent is to see some country side and enjoy the ride out, not press it for time just to get there. If that fits the bill, then we can work something out, I'm retired so time is not a problem for me. Let me know how that sounds.

Cheers.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts