GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Do any of you Americans have experience buying a used bike in Canada and riding it back to the US?

I have my eye on a bike at a dealer up in British Columbia and want to ride my Goldwing up there. If we can arrive at a deal I will trade in my Goldwing and ride home on a new to me bike.

I am not sure the best way to go about this.

I am wondering if it would be simpler to charge the entire transaction on my credit card to take advantage of the exchange rate conversion and then just pay off my credit card at the end of the month?

Or should I take a check? Just don't want to lose anything on the exchange rate.

I live in the State of Washington so I will need to pay the sales tax based on something, I assume they would base it on the u.s. dollar value? I am also assuming I would not need to pay Canadian sales tax?

What would be required at the border regarding paperwork and licensing?

I am guessing the dealers near the border have experience doing these type of transactions so I'm hoping it is simpler then I make it out to be.

I am going to give the dealer a call this afternoon to see what I can learn but I'm not sure I always trust them. Some will say anything to get you in the door.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi All

Do any of you Americans have experience buying a used bike in Canada and riding it back to the US?

I have my eye on a bike at a dealer up in British Columbia and want to ride my Goldwing up there. If we can arrive at a deal I will trade in my Goldwing and ride home on a new to me bike.

I am wondering if it would be simpler to charge the entire transaction on my credit card to take advantage of the exchange rate conversion and then just pay off my credit card at the end of the month?

Or should I take a check? Just don't want to lose anything on the exchange rate.

I live in the State of Washington so I will need to pay the sales tax based on something, I assume they would base it on the u.s. dollar value? I am also assuming I would not need to pay Canadian sales tax?

I am guessing the dealers near the border have experience doing these type of transactions so I'm hoping it is simpler then I make it out to be.

I am going to give the dealer a call this afternoon to see what I can learn but I'm not sure I always trust them. Some will say anything to get you in the door.

Thanks in advance!

I’m Canadian, and I sold my bike to an American from South Carolina.
He paid me with a certified check....I spoke to his bank to ensure it was legit and had no problem.
When you import the bike to the US......American customs will want to see that it meets EPA standards. in my case, I had purchased the bike from an American so it had the EPA certification on the same label as the serial and model number on the frame near the left handlebar.
If it’s a Canadian bike....you may need to get a letter from Honda saying it meets EPA standards....which it does.
Your best course of action is to call the American Border agency and ask them what is required to import a Canadian motorcycle into the US.
Then you will have the most accurate information.....:wink2:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Wondering what kind of a deal one can get that would make it worth the hassle of buying in another country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wondering what kind of a deal one can get that would make it worth the hassle of buying in another country.

I guess that is what I am trying to figure out...how much of a hassle is it? May not be bad and could be a good excuse to go for a ride

·
Registered
678 Posts

Well. For one thing...$0.74 on your dollar.:laugh:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I believe you pay the Canadian sales tax, then you stop at Customs on the Canadian side usually by the Duty Free stores, and will get reimbursed that amount. It used to be that way but may be different now.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Hi All

Thanks in advance!

Here is some info for ya.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/permanently-importing-a-motorcycle

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car#Documentation

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I like these guys that buy their bike a longs way away from home and then something goes wrong with the bike and they expect the local dealer or the closet to him to repair in a timely manner. If I was the dealer, that would be the last bike to get repaired in the shop. Take it apart just enough to so it can not be drove out of the shop. This is the reason local shops are closing, Bikes bought other places and then they are expected to lose money on warranty work. It seems senseless to buy away from home just to save a few dollars . To buy in Canada, I THING IS UN-AMERICAN!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Few years ago I contemplated a MC purchase from Canada. Even though it was sweet deal, I did not wish to endure the associated hassle(s). Therefore I passed, instead buying a new Triumph Thunderbird from a local (Spokane) dealer. Empire offered me a deal I just could not pass up. And Christine, the owner is wonderful to work with. Best of luck. Point is, buy local.:thumbup:

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Just be aware that if you buy a brandnew Honda in Canada the Honda factory warranty will be useless in the United States .

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just be aware that if you buy a brandnew Honda in Canada the Honda factory warranty will be useless in the United States .
Hmm. I didn't think of that twist. I am guessing if I buy a used one that is still under factory warranty in Canada that it won't be any good down here either.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Hmmm...

I've had warranty work on my Canadian GM done in the states (tennesee actually), with no questions asked.

Now you're saying if I'm travelling in the states with my goldwing and have a problem the Honda US is gong to hang me out to dry??

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. But I've been wrong before.

We know Honda reads this forum.

Perhaps they will set us straight about this issue.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hmmm...

I've had warranty work on my Canadian GM done in the states (tennesee actually), with no questions asked.

Now you're saying if I'm travelling in the states with my goldwing and have a problem the Honda US is gong to hang me out to dry??

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. But I've been wrong before.

We know Honda reads this forum.

Perhaps they will set us straight about this issue.
Hey Don....just to add to the scepticism....when Honda did the brake recall....all Canadians that owned American Wings were serviced by Canadian Dealers with no problems....me included!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I believe you pay the Canadian sales tax, then you stop at Customs on the Canadian side usually by the Duty Free stores, and will get reimbursed that amount. It used to be that way but may be different now.
It depends on who you buy the vehicle from.....if it’s a private sale....you pay no tax until it is registered into your name. Im not sure if a dealer can forgo the tax or not!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Few years ago I contemplated a MC purchase from Canada. Even though it was sweet deal, I did not wish to endure the associated hassle(s). Therefore I passed, instead buying a new Triumph Thunderbird from a local (Spokane) dealer. Empire offered me a deal I just could not pass up. And Christine, the owner is wonderful to work with. Best of luck. Point is, buy local.:thumbup:

This topic brings up a good question. What is considered "local"? If I purchase from a dealer that is 60 miles from my residence is that local? Or are we saying you must buy from the dealership where you plan on getting the bike serviced? If the "local" dealer wants 2K more for the bike and I choose to buy someplace else am I being disloyal to my "local dealer? Just food for thought

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey Don....just to add to the scepticism....when Honda did the brake recall....all Canadians that owned American Wings were serviced by Canadian Dealers with no problems....me included!
Me too.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts

I'm having trouble believing Honda Corp lets HondaUS behave different than HondaCAN.

If it does I'll have to reconsider what and/or where I ride.

It's also common knowledge in this area that good used autos/pickups are worth more in the US than they are in Canada. They are exported daily by the truckload.
If you're looking to trade a 'good used' vehicle the dealers I have talked with all readily indicate that the trad value depends on what their US buyers will bid.

Of course, I don't know if this also applies to Honda motorcycles. If they loose the warranty when they cross the border it would put a huge dent in their value.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I like these guys that buy their bike a longs way away from home and then something goes wrong with the bike and they expect the local dealer or the closet to him to repair in a timely manner. If I was the dealer, that would be the last bike to get repaired in the shop. Take it apart just enough to so it can not be drove out of the shop. This is the reason local shops are closing, Bikes bought other places and then they are expected to lose money on warranty work. It seems senseless to buy away from home just to save a few dollars . To buy in Canada, I THING IS UN-AMERICAN!!
I've always been proud to be considered a friend to Americans in general. I have done a bit of purchasing "down south" and have never felt that I was cheated...or cheating...anyone.

Correct Craft Super Air Nautique (502 Python)
Yamaha VMax
Goldwing

I have no problem supporting others...especially if they share my same economic standards and moral/political views.

Reactions: Red Wing One
1 - 20 of 21 Posts