GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a new player on the block with a quality product if you're in to the car replica trailers. I've seen his product, and the "other one" on the market, and I think he's really on to something.
http://www.americancustomtrailers.com/index.php

I have no ties to this business, just passing info along. I do know the proprietor, and he's a good man.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
iwing,

I hope your friend succeeds, however I'm kinda disappointed. I was hoping for better suspension than torsion. IMO, these aren't much different than Donnie's trailers - in fact they're quite a bit smaller. Bigger wheels, probably better lights and a 6-wire system aren't worth the difference in price. I think Donnie's has much better paint options because for $150-$300 you can have just about anything painted on them. Plus more body styles. Your bud has a tough row to hoe here.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Donnie does have better paint options at this point. Tom actually has one of Donnie's trailers, and one of the reasons he wanted to get in to this was to start a legitimate business, and offer a few changes with a warranty and a certificate of origin. He improved (in his opinion) in some areas he felt necessary.

There is plenty of business out there for the both of them, and Donnie does have a nice product as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Going to agree Donnie's got a good tralier. I saw the new one the vett at wings over smokies Donnie's has more room in it and it pulls good no complaints at all. I did have a hell of a time getting the head lights working but they look good. Any where I go with ih people love it. As far as lights I just added some more. put 62 LED in the fenders came out good and are bright.

·
Registered
258 Posts
trailer

Donnie makes the trailers very nice by painting, carpet, etc. He does not make them. They are made by a gentleman in Rossville, GA (near Chattanooga, TN). He buys them direct from this man.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: trailer

Starwing said:
Donnie makes the trailers very nice by painting, carpet, etc. He does not make them. They are made by a gentleman in Rossville, GA (near Chattanooga, TN). He buys them direct from this man.
Donnie told me that he and two other friends make these trailers in Alabama. Where are you getting your info.?

·
Registered
258 Posts
trailer

Check his shop and molds out if he has any. Been there when he picks up trailers from Rossville. Not trying to take anything away from Donnie as he does a beautiful job in painting, carpeting the trailers. They are gel coated and sort of rough when he gets them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I saw the trailer at WOTS. I will stick with my trailer. The larger tires take away from the car trailer effect and after 50K I have no issues with the 8” tires. It has less storage as well. He did a pretty clean job of copying the trailer he bought from Donnie. I do like the lighting he used it lights up pretty good. The lock system was nice, but he told me he was changing it because it leaked. Making the mustang body will probably make him a few sales. Hopefully they will not make the same model cars so there will be more choices for folks.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I second Jim's statement - different model repicas would be a market niche`

The 12" trailer wheels does make the replica look out of balance with the trailer too.

But the lights are bright and the 6 wire connector is a plus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts