GL1800Riders Forums banner

American Honda Busted On Odometer Fraud

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  cosmic_chariot 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Honda

The wings are doing the exact same thing.

I wonder if Honda will recall them for repair?

#4 ·
$9.8 million in plaintiff attorney's fees :eek:, and all the owners get is a 5% mileage extension on their warranties. Gotta love lawyers. :evil:

Bottom of page 3:
:click:$9.8 million

#6 ·
Toyo said:
http://www.wsbtv.com/money/10655318/detail.html
Gee, Toyo, for a minute there I thought you'd moved north... WSBT is one of our local TV stations out of South Bend, Indiana!

http://www.wsbt.com/

Becky

G
#7 ·
I posted this about a month ago.

I got the letter from Honda since I have 3 affected cars.

I threw the letter away. The only ones who will get anything out of this are the two main plaintiffs and the lawyers.

#9 ·
Arn Butt Bill said:
I sent the tv station an email explaining that our bikes do it too. I have over a 4,000 mile discrepency on my odometer right now.
Resale smeesale, right?
That's the main reason I put in the speedo healer.. Not for the MPH, but the odometer.. I wonder if we could do the same on the '06 Hybrid???

#10 ·
Well.... IMHO.. Honda should have to repair the affected units... thats
what I call... WARRANTY PROBLEM... Honda sold the units .. got the money for them.. now its time for them to step up and fix their goof up..
heck with extending the warranty.. thats the "EL CHEAPO" fix..

cosmic

#11 ·
That website says for cars purchased through Nov 7th, 2006.

So, what, the problem went away on Nov 8th, 2006???
:shock: :shock: :shock:

not just an idle question
... we purchased ours (a 2007 model) on Nov 14th, 2006
:x :x :x

Dennis

#12 ·
Thanks. My wife has a Honda Civic Hybrid purchased between those dates. We have not gotten anything from Honda. I plan to keep the letter if any additional warranty work is done 5% after her mileage warranty.

Thank you. :D

I dont think this could ever apply to Goldwings since their warranty is unlimited mileage within a certain year span.

#13 ·
laen said:
I dont think this could ever apply to Goldwings since their warranty is unlimited mileage within a certain year span.
Georgia has specific laws regarding "diminished resale value" for motor vehicles.
This will boil down to whether or not motorcycles are considered motor vehicles; in all but 13 states, they're not.
Charlie Crist might manage to get that changed in Florida at least...

#14 ·
How many of us on this board have had any real damage because of the speedo error? I appears we represent an American cross section - wanting something for nothing, howling at something that makes no real difference. Way too much spare time. Bothers you? Unload it and get on with life.

#15 ·
beastie said:
I posted this about a month ago.

I got the letter from Honda since I have 3 affected cars.

I threw the letter away. The only ones who will get anything out of this are the two main plaintiffs and the lawyers.
Maybe you are right and maybe not. Around 1990 I was involved with a class auction lawsuit that was against an American gun manufacturer. It dealt with faulty barrels on one of their over/under shotguns. I had one I bought used. I sent in my serial numbers like they requested thinking it was a waste of time and low and behold I did get a check for over 135.00 if I remember correctly. So do what you want. If I ever become affected and it does not cost me more than the item may be worth I would think about complyiing with it. JMHO>>>

Ross

#16 ·
Arn Butt Bill said:
laen said:
Georgia has specific laws regarding "diminished resale value" for motor vehicles.
This will boil down to whether or not motorcycles are considered motor vehicles; in all but 13 states, they're not.
Charlie Crist might manage to get that changed in Florida at least...
Bill, where can one find that list of states?

#17 ·
IR Harry said:
How many of us on this board have had any real damage because of the speedo error? I appears we represent an American cross section - wanting something for nothing, howling at something that makes no real difference. Way too much spare time. Bothers you? Unload it and get on with life.
AMEN TO THAT!

Send more letters and complaints, call TV stations - the lawyers will thank you while they line their wallets and then everybody can start complaining about the price increases. :roll:

#18 ·
cosmic_chariot said:
Well.... IMHO.. Honda should have to repair the affected units... thats
what I call... WARRANTY PROBLEM... Honda sold the units .. got the money for them.. now its time for them to step up and fix their goof up..

cosmic
Why do you think Honda accepted this settlement with the response saying it was for "customer satisfaction"? Of course it was the cheap way out. That way the lawyers get their pocket lined but Honda is not stuck with a major recall expense. If the lawyers had pressed for a recall and correction of the odometers, you can bet your sweet bippie that Honda would have fought it with teeth and toe nails. Geez Louise! :?

#19 ·
cosmic_chariot said:
Well.... IMHO.. Honda should have to repair the affected units... thats what I call... WARRANTY PROBLEM... Honda sold the units .. got the money for them.. now its time for them to step up and fix their goof up..
Ummmm..., and what is it that they're supposed to fix? A 2-4% odo error is fairly trivial and well within industry requirements. This isn't something that's broken..., it's just the way it is. If you think of the number of things you do when you're driving your vehicle that could affect the mileage reading, the manufacturer's error is the least of the concerns. In fact, there's always been a circulating rumor that the government actually likes motor vehicle builder to have an error that reads over. This helps to keep some folks a wee bit below the posted speed limit.

Honda isn't admitting any liability.., just keeping it's customers happy by extending their warranty as a CUSTOMER SERVICE..., you know, that item that everyone carps about not getting enough of (I know, I know..., a dangling participle). I doubt if ANYONE will ever see a nickel over this goofy class action. I'll be willing to bet anyone with an IQ greater than 2 digits that this thing will get laughed right out of court.

Im currently on my 7th Honda car/van, and all have been very close to accurate (according to GPS)..., at least until I replaced the OEM tires, and jacked the pressures up a bit, and did some driving on icey roads in the north.

And somebody here took me to task last week because I dont wear a helmet..., sheeesh!

#20 ·
It is unbelievable to me how some of you cannot wait to find some fault with Honda. What a minimal speedo error. Who cares? As far as the Wing goes, it's unlimited mileage, anyway. So, it doesn't matter. Please, enjoy the bike or go somewhere else. You negatives are getting mighty old.

#21 ·
This is off thread but my accountant told me the IRS does not recognize a motorcycle as a vehicle that mileage can be deducted from when used for business purposes. He said it is considered a recreational vehicle.

#22 ·
This board seems to have more than its share of what I would term "inflamatory titles" and this thread certanily falls within that category, imHo.

Not sure fraud is the word I would use to describe the issue. One of the prime definitons of "fraud" is "deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage ". Not sure much of that applies in this case. Honda admits the odo's read fast and it's not at all obvious how Honda would profit or gain from this unless you try to figure in the warranty cost savings since warranties ahve ended a little early.

Moderators: since the "Honda vs Harley" board seems to have done so well, I propose you add a "Honda vs the world" for those tha like to (how should I say this?) vent against the manufacturer.

#23 ·
When I read my warranty booklet it stated that the emission control system components were not covered under the unlimited mileage warranty. They are covered for 30,000 kilometers. So what, you say...well I read into it further and found that components like fuel injection system, Ignition system, exhaust, intake air temp system, and many others are only covered for 30,000 kms (about 18,000 miles).

I'm talking about the Canadian warranty here so in the States it may be different. Can someone in the US check their warranty booklet because most people don't know about this (significant) limitation in the Honda Warranty.

#24 ·
Mark Rowell said:
[quote="cosmic_chariot":m8aa74b4]Well.... IMHO.. Honda should have to repair the affected units... thats

cosmic
Why do you think Honda accepted this settlement with the response saying it was for "customer satisfaction"? Of course it was the cheap way out. That way the lawyers get their pocket lined but Honda is not stuck with a major recall expense. If the lawyers had pressed for a recall and correction of the odometers, you can bet your sweet bippie that Honda would have fought it with teeth and toe nails. Geez Louise! :?[/quote:m8aa74b4]

only point i was trying to make.. is HONDA has been knowing about speedo error for how many years ??? at least 7.. (on GL1800) .. so why can't they make it right.. ??? if they goof up.. then they should correct their screw up.. Gosh louise yourself..

cosmic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.