GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a very nice used Aluma MCT over the weekend in OK. Went to register and get a tag today and mother Texas DMV wants a VIN verification form from any inspection station. I nearly took the trailer apart today and I sure as he'll can't find the VIN stamp or sticker. The bill of sale and title work have the number but that's not good enough for the DMV office here. Any ideas where I can maybe find out where it may be stamped?

Thanks in advance.
Star62

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
It is the same way here in Pa. Get a plate stamped with the vin number and rivet it to the bottom somewhere. You can also print one and cover it with clear plastic and stick it on. I have done that with a couple boat trailers. On my Hannigan it is on a sticker way up underneath. The girl at the inspection said she wasn't getting down on the ground to look. I reached under with my phone and pretended to take a photo and she bought it. It was a good picture as I had taken it a few days before in my garage.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Wait...do you have an "America's Best Trailer" or an "Aluma MCT?"

The title of your thread doesn't come close to matching what you're asking in your post.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
VINs should be on the frame, permanently attached to, or stamped in the metal. They can also be on a permanently attached sticker or plate. I suspect you would have fond t if this was the case. Try cleaning the tongue very good, then try a good flashlight held at an angle to the metal. By shining it across the metal, the shadows of the stamping a will be more evident. Start at the coupler and work your way back slowly, changing the angle of the light as you move. It may take a different degree of angle from low to high, parred with the tongue and going across it. If it is not on the top, try the sides. You may have to do like a previous poster and get up under it and check the frame. If it was made in this century, it has to be there to comply with Federal law.

If you don't find it, call the manufacturer and ask them where it is installed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The trailer was made in China and the VIN was probably assigned (or should have been assigned) by America's Best in South Carolina. I would bet someone forgot to install the VIN tag.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are in Texas tell the DMV it is a home built trailer. You will have to pay for plates but no sales taxes on the purchase. Small trailers that are home built do not require a title just plates.

Save yourself some money. They never asked to see the trailer.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
(quote) The bill of sale and title work have the number but that's not good enough for the DMV office here.

I would go buy a lettering punch set from Harbor freight for about $10.00 and with the use of a small hammer, apply the exact same numbers/ letters as the Bill of sale and title has and then take it to the DMV for a plate. The could care less as long as they can match up the letters and numbers to the title and trailer.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Contrary to other's experiences, I enjoyed my ABT. I did repack the wheel bearings when it arrived and added some LED's to the front and rear sides but other than that, no issues. It has a new home now as I ran out of room and some other life changes... 2nd owner reports no problems after a year of ownership and significant dragging around....

As to the VIN, mine arrived as an embossed metal tag in an envelope with the title paperwork. I never attached it and gave it to the new guy with the title stuff... Ohio does not actually develop a "title" like a motor vehicle has; an owner just signs the MSO over to the next guy. Take that in and purchase your tags.

Maybe see if any of the carpet is loose enough to slip the tag down inside? Might be in there somewhere. Not sure where the default location was/is...

Good luck...!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Worst case scenario: try having a small aluminum plate custom embossed locally to match the VIN numbering on the paperwork. Then attach it someplace on the tongue or frame with a couple rivets. Shouldn't be too expensive to have a small # plate made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts