GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to install an amp? I see that EC has a plug n play for the rear, but no mention for the front.
I am thinking about picking up an inexpensive amp locally and installing but I must admit that I don't know where to start.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
The amp is a fairly easy install. We don't do a front plug & play harness since it really is not necessary. Our kits include all the connectors, power wiring, fuses and fuse holders, speaker wiring and noise filters you would need for installation in one complete kit. If you bought an amp elsewhere, went to Radio Shack for your filter and connectors, and a home audio shop for the hookup wire, you would actually spend more money than buying our kit.

When you buy a product from us, you get our experience of actually having installed the amp on an 1800. We can answer questions, give advice (like on how to run the wires to the front speakers) and troubleshoot if needed. We know what is needed for the install - it will be in the box and instructions are included. And we actually have tested multiple brands of amps to see which had the best sound quality, lowest noise level and best quality for the application.

We NEVER sell B-stock or refurb amps. We have a liberal return policy (no 20% restock fees like most online car audio shops). No inflated shipping prices to make up the lost profit in the price of the amp.

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

Lewis/EC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
stapler101 said:
How hard is it to install an amp? I see that EC has a plug n play for the rear, but no mention for the front.
I am thinking about picking up an inexpensive amp locally and installing but I must admit that I don't know where to start.
I think Lewis answered your question as good as anyone could... but I'll throw in my unbiased 2¢ :D

With an inexpesive amp you are going to have to deal with heat issues, and size. Not sure how big an amp you were thinking if, I don't think you don't want to take up much space in a saddlebag or the trunk, and the e/c amp is a perfect choice. It was chosen for its low heat output & size.

You asked about the difficulty of the e/c amp install... the wiring is basically going to be the same for any amp, same wires. As Lewis said, what you are getting with his amp is a tested and proven kit, with what you actually need to hook the amp up on the GL1800, not a generic wiring harness that you still have to run to the same places the e/c amp goes to.

You get directions on how to install the amp on the GL1800, not a generic set of directions on how to wire the amp to your CAR.

And you get access to the wealth of knowledge Lewis can provide.

And for a VERY reasonable price!

This is a project that was on my "to do" list since I got the bike, just never got around to it. Then someone on the board who sold their GL1800 offered up the 4 channel amp and 4 Polk Audio speakers he had bought from e/c and never installed. Not one to pass up a deal, I jumped on it!

Now I just have to wait until March when I get home to get it installed :(

Go with the e/c... you can't go wrong!

G

·
0 Posts
EC amp & speakers are the way to go. Install easy & sound great. My wife said she did not care for rear speakers. She can't believe the difference it made when I installed EC amp & Polk rear speakers. I already had a set of Polk's in the front.

·
Registered
307 Posts
amp question

We wear helmets with J&M clampless headsets in them and listen to music whenever we ride, would an amp do anything for the headset sound? If not, would the sound from the speakers be loud enough to enjoy with our helmets on (without everyone else hearing it too). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: amp question

Rick M said:
We wear helmets with J&M clampless headsets in them and listen to music whenever we ride, would an amp do anything for the headset sound? If not, would the sound from the speakers be loud enough to enjoy with our helmets on (without everyone else hearing it too). Thanks.
Rick,
The amp won't do anything for the headsets.

Sometimes I just listen to the radio through the headsets, but sometimes I like to hear it. Except when it is windy, I can hear the stock speakers & radio, but the sound quality isn't that great.

The amp and upgraded speakers drastically improve the clarity and sound quality of the system.
OK, at least that is what I have heard... lol
Haven't actually heard on myself, just taking the word of all the folks on the board that have said it rocks! I have head a bike with the Apline fronts, no rears, and no amp, and it sounded a whole lot better. I can only imagine how cool it's gotta sound with the 4 polks and the e/c amp. Can't wait!!! :D

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Dr. Rob has one of Lewis' Amps and speakers. Against my OEM stock set up, Rob's system is phenomenol.

They integrity of the E/C amp set up is second to none.

By E/C, leave the worry to Lewis and just enjoy your Bike.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Bulldog said:
Dr. Rob has one of Lewis' Amps and speakers. Against my OEM stock set up, Rob's system is phenomenol.
Bulldog
I can't wait to get home and get this project done! I love having good tunes!!

Just the speaker upgrade sounds pretty damn good on the bike I heard it on... pretty excited to hear the amp in action!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lewis, does Hal not carry your amp? I don't find it on the site.
mike

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two more questions come to mind.
With the EC kit do I need the rear speaket plug and play kit? Do I need the trigger?

mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
stapler101 said:
Mike I have the EC amp and its great, makes a very easy install. Best I remember every thing you need comes in the box except for speakers. I upgraded to Polks. I don't have a CD player so I installed it on top of the CB and it make a nice clean install that is out of the way and there is not a heat problem with the EC amp.

Panther

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Panther Ga. said:
stapler101 said:
Mike I have the EC amp and its great, makes a very easy install. Best I remember every thing you need comes in the box except for speakers. I upgraded to Polks. I don't have a CD player so I installed it on top of the CB and it make a nice clean install that is out of the way and there is not a heat problem with the EC amp.

Panther
Dang, that thing IS small! I didn't know it fit IN the CD compartement! WOW!
I know it says it is low heat producing... but I'll ask anyway... any problems with heat? I'd think in that enclosed space it would build up some... but then thinking doesn't always pay off for me. :crazy:

·
Registered
175 Posts
IB Mike said:
[quote="Panther Ga.":35pv8edt]
stapler101 said:

Panther
Dang, that thing IS small! I didn't know it fit IN the CD compartement! WOW!
I know it says it is low heat producing... but I'll ask anyway... any problems with heat? I'd think in that enclosed space it would build up some... but then thinking doesn't always pay off for me. :crazy:[/quote:35pv8edt]

Not a problem you can put your hand on it and feel very little.

Panther

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Panther Ga. said:
Not a problem you can put your hand on it and feel very little.

Panther
Cool! Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Question ?

Can anyone tell me the differance between a 2 channel and a 4 channel amp ? Ya I know ! 2....LOL. But being a total novice on amps I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
If you are only driving 2 speakers, you would go with the 2 channel amp. The 4 channel works best when you are running 4 speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had Lewis install the amp and Polks last summer when we visited him so it was really easy . I love the amp and speakers. I can here music clearly at over 100 mph, deer seem to run like heck to get away, and it drowns out Dawgs damn Yanni. :twisted:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have ordered the EC amp, plug n play kit and trigger kit.
Thanks for all the replies.
Since I do have the CD installed, what will be my best option for placing the amp?

Thanks, mike

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks

Hey thanks for the explanation of the amps Lewis I appreciate it ! So having 4 speakers on the wing would indicate a 4 channel amp ! Got it !
So now I have to find out what CD of Yanni the dawg has and we'll get on eigther side of the good Dr. and have a contest ! LOL Ahhhhhhh June is gonna be fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What power out put are we talking about ? Usually if your producing a lot of power your talking about generating a lot of heat.
I have a 100 Watt 4 channel amp and it gets quite hot if used for extended periods of time.

Marc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts