GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I went over to Schroeders Honda to buy an oil filter and talked with the owner Terry Schroeder for a while and he told me “ Whatever you do, don’t run Amsoil or Mobil 1 in your wing. Seems like every time we have a transmission failure they are running Amsoil”

I was surprised to hear that and said, “I thought Amsoil was good to run in your wing” and he responded, “it might be fine for your motor but it is hard on your transmission”.

So, what do you guys think about that? Ever heard that?

:shrug:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am not partial to synthetic oil. My Harley would run twice as lous when I ran Amsoil in it. I use Honda oil in my Gl

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been running Ams Oil for ever and never had any problems in any of my bikes. Have 75,000 on my ST with no problem, change every 8000 miles along with filter. Running 2 stroke Ams Oil in my 40 year old Stihl O41 Farm Boss and still starts on first pull (which means compression is still good)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife has a Honda CRV (car) and it calls for synthetic oil.......but I think it has separate transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been running Ams Oil for ever and never had any problems in any of my bikes. Have 75,000 on my ST with no problem, change every 8000 miles along with filter. Running 2 stroke Ams Oil in my 40 year old Stihl O41 Farm Boss and still starts on first pull (which means compression is still good)
Does your ST have separate transmission lube or is it bathed in the engine oil like a wing?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
I ran Amsoil in my 03 for 104K miles before I traded it in. I also have used it in my Yamaha for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bulitt the ST uses the same oil in the engine and transmission as does all Honda (Japanese) motorcycles that I know of do. I also run Ams Oil in my Honda Africa Twin DCT and have 10,000 trouble free miles so far.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used Amsoil filter and oil in my 2002 for 132+K miles. Never had any issue whatsoever with transmission or motor. My 2017 has 21K with the same oil and filter. It's doing great.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Oil threads be like...

"I heard from my <insert allegedly mechanically-inclined acquaintance> say that <insert brand of oil> is <select: good / no good>"

"Anecdotal reply to the negative"

"Anecdotal reply to the negative"

"Reply to call BS"

"Anecdotal reply to the positive"

"Reply that calls BS on first person who called BS"

"Forum senior member with demonstrated mechanical ability replies with laboratory study and factual evidence"

"Reply that ignores facts and evidence"

"Reply bemoaning that another oil thread has hit the forum"

"Reply about different kind of motorcycles entirely"

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
so today i went over to schroeders honda to buy an oil filter and talked with the owner terry schroeder for a while and he told me “ whatever you do, don’t run amsoil or mobil 1 in your wing. Seems like every time we have a transmission failure they are running amsoil”

i was surprised to hear that and said, “i thought amsoil was good to run in your wing” and he responded, “it might be fine for your motor but it is hard on your transmission”.

87k on my wing and no issues. I ran honda oil for the first 4k then switch and trani shifted easier and has a more quicker direct feeling. My personal experience.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
So today I went over to Schroeders Honda to buy an oil filter and talked with the owner Terry Schroeder for a while and he told me “ Whatever you do, don’t run Amsoil or Mobil 1 in your wing. Seems like every time we have a transmission failure they are running Amsoil”

I was surprised to hear that and said, “I thought Amsoil was good to run in your wing” and he responded, “it might be fine for your motor but it is hard on your transmission”.

Does Schroeders sell Amsoil or Mobile 1?

I didn't think so.

I ran Mobile 1 in my 03 for 116,000 miles.
Amsoil in my 05 for 126,000
Back to Mobil 1 in both of my 2010's. Not that there was anything wrong with Amsoil. Mobile 1 is just easier to find.

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
Interesting.

Greg from justwings also does not recommend Amsoil.
Yes ... I've been saying that for years, and finally got rid of all mine. In general I'd advise against using a synthetic. The most popular and best oil for 5th gens is Honda's GN4 conventional oil. Synthetics come with a list of possible known problems. In fact I just discovered a new one the other day that I don't think I've mentioned before. It will take me a little bit to remember what it was.

And never, ever add an additive to the oil. I wonder if Shroders has repaired some of those ones yet.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Yes ... I've been saying that for years, and finally got rid of all mine. In general I'd advise against using a synthetic. The most popular and best oil for 5th gens is Honda's GN4 conventional oil. Synthetics come with a list of possible known problems. In fact I just discovered a new one the other day that I don't think I've mentioned before. It will take me a little bit to remember what it was.

And never, ever add an additive to the oil. I wonder if Shroders has repaired some of those ones yet.

Yep... synthetic oils cause memory loss.... :wink2:

Honda, nor any manufacturer, has any incentive to recommend an inferior oil for their bikes. If synthetic is what they thought it should have, they'd recommend it.

People are crazy... course, I deal with people everyday who use "additives" to make themselves run better............ heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine.... and you know how they end up...:surprise:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Over 500,000 miles on GWs and mostly all Amsoil, No problems and I will stick with what works.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I would not take any thing Schroeder says seriously. A friend and I stood in his parking lot and heard him bs a Kawasaki rider one time. At the time we didn't know he was bs'ing the guy or we would have told him other wise. He needed the truth pretty bad at the time. As far as Amsoil goes I think it is good oil just way overpriced, JMHO. I have a friend who swears by it for almost 300k in his '01 wing.

Reactions: Bulitt

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

I listen to Gregg, and what he has to say: If Gregg says NO Synthetic oil, then It's NO syn oils, he know's Wings trannies better then 99% of all of us...0:)

Ronnie

Thank you Gregg!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

And how many Wings might that be? I know Terry, don't trust everything he says.

Reactions: Capt. Bob
1 - 20 of 108 Posts