GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A 2005 just left after getting its transmission repaired. It has 85k on the ODM. Prior to removing the engine, I check compression, pressure test the cooling system, and if I feel comfortable, will also do an oil pressure test. In Honda's Service Manual it lists only one test ... oil level full, at operating temp, and at 5,000rpms. The oil pressure should be 78psi.

However, after every engine repair, I log 4 pressure tests for a better reference. With the spark plugs out, the PGM-FI system disabled, and the starter cranking. The pressure after first starting cold when the idle is high. The oil pressure after the engine is at operating temperature at idle, and then at 5,000rpms. In other words, the engine has to prove it worthy to continue on to the next pressure test.

Prior to repair, I try and do the last 3. From the get-go, I could tell the above engine had low oil pressure when starting cold. Same when it was warm, and only 30psi at 4,000rpms before ending the test. I could tell it had an aftermarket oil filter; the filter had no markings.

He picked it up yesterday and I asked him about the oil filter. He's been using ones from AMSOIL, and also said they have an upgraded one that's a micro filter. I checked their catalog, and they only show 1 oil filter and not a second option.

The take away ... do not use cross-references when choosing an oil filter for a 5th gen Wing. Use the one that the oil filter manufacture recommends. Also, just because Joe-SixPack, Bill Bob, and Dummy Dan uses a particular oil filter does not mean its a good idea.

Micro oil filters known to fail after in use
  • Purolator PureOnes
  • Bosch
  • AMSOIL

·
Registered
671 Posts
Dang good post Greg. Even though I don't ride the GW/RS any more, I still consider it good information. So, let me understand, oil pressure is measured pushing the oil through the filter, or after it leaves the filter? I would think pushing it through the filter but what do I know?

The oil path is oil pump > oil pressure relief valve > oil filter > sensor > transmission > crank shaft ...

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Excellent info here Gregg, thank you, (when U speak I listen)

Ronnie

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Banned
435 Posts
After you discovered this, did you put an OEM oil filter on and recheck the oil pressure?
Important information to know!

That said, I generally agree with the recommendation NOT to run filters that are "ultra-efficient" at filtration. They do so at the sacrifice of oil flow.

Honda has said that they are deliberate in prioritizing flow over small-particle filtration.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After you discovered this, did you put an OEM oil filter on and recheck the oil pressure?
On many prior I've done that before, and have posted the results. In this case I didn't have a used OEM oil filter around, and in this case choose not to.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang good post Greg. Even though I don't ride the GW/RS any more, I still consider it good information. So, let me understand, oil pressure is measured pushing the oil through the filter, or after it leaves the filter? I would think pushing it through the filter but what do I know?

The oil path is oil pump > oil pressure relief valve > oil filter > sensor > transmission > crank shaft ...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
It’s not worth the difference in price to buy the wrong spec’d filter. Only OEM for me. The 1800 wing already has enough engineering issues, it doesn’t need to be experimented on with aftermarket stuff that could cause $$$$.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only OEM part I don't like are Honda's head gaskets. If they packaged them with respect for what they are, like most manufactures do, that might help.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think you should move your business back to the PNW, Greg. Lots of Wings up here. Additionally, we had some good Ivar's on Lake Union Fish and Chips last week.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
What model filter flow tester are you using to condemn the filter?
Might want to read the original post again. It should answer your question as to the testing method.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you should move your business back to the PNW, Greg. Lots of Wings up here. Additionally, we had some good Ivar's on Lake Union Fish and Chips last week.
Now my mouth is watering for fish & chips. About this time next year, we'll be coming up there to go on an Alaska cruise. Might get there a week early to binge on fish & chips, and tour Seattle. The last 2 times I've been there I've wanted to ride the loop around Mt Rainier, and north Cascades Hwy, but it's never happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts