GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I see from a discussion on Mobil Red Cap vs Gold Cap oils that a lot of wing riders are using Amsoil. My question is at what interval are you all changing the Amsoil and filter. An out of town shop I went to for service put in Amsoil but said nothing about extending the replacement interval. At $8+ per quart, it seems pretty expensive if it doesn't have a longer lifetime.

What say you (especially Bulldog)?

Jay

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
For me it's not just about what ever is cheapest to run when it comes down to engine protection or maintenance. Amsoil has an excellent reputation along with the race proven performance benefits running of synthetic oils. All high performance vehicle manufacturers insist on synthetic oil grades to maintain the eligibility for any internal engine malfunction warranty claims, we must ask why?? Some will claim they've ran 200,000 troublefree miles on JimBob's 10w50 codliver oil at $2.99 a gallon but that ain't me. But then again I've never been accused of being a pennypincher or miserly. Most of the time it's just the fact that I like to baby or pamper my woman, my toys, or myself. Just like gasoline, tires, apparel or accessories it comes down to what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
bugsmasher said:
Well I see from a discussion on Mobil Red Cap vs Gold Cap oils that a lot of wing riders are using Amsoil. My question is at what interval are you all changing the Amsoil and filter. An out of town shop I went to for service put in Amsoil but said nothing about extending the replacement interval. At $8+ per quart, it seems pretty expensive if it doesn't have a longer lifetime.

What say you (especially Bulldog)?

Jay
Synthetics will last longer and you can increase your change interval. There are lots of good synthetics out there. I prefer diesel oils because they're made for very heavy duty applications. The GL engine is "childs play" for these oils. BTW, any oil that meets spec will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I change the Amsoil & filter in my '01 at the recommended 8K mark.

I am fortunate in that my Honda dealer is also an Amsoil dealer and gives me a 15 - 20% discount on all Amsoil products, including automobile oil.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Does anyone know if Amsoil make the Harley Syn oil????? I have heard that rumor

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You have to change your Amsoil with how you feel comfortable. Saying that, there is a lot of us that will change it at the 16,000 mile mark, then some change just the oil filter at the 8,000 mile mark and then change the oil at 16,000 miles. Then some will change the oil and filter at the 10,000 mile mark. As you can see it all depends on what route you want to take. Going the 10,000 mile route makes it easy to remember when a oil change is coming up. You won't be disappointed with any of the above plans.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
KA7W said:
If we took ten new engines, and run them the same amount of time and at the same power levels and they each had a different brand of oil,

Which one would quit first ?? Which one would last the longest ??

Would the price of the oil determine its workability ??

Explain why you answered that way !!

JMHO 8)
Tom, You would not have a clue unless you had each oil change in each bike analysed so you could tell. :wink:

Yes sir, More POPCORN and BUDWEISER>>> ON ITS WAY...

Ross

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Ross, How much popcorn do you use before you replenish the Budweiser?.. :lol:

Relief is just a click away......

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
IR Harry said:
Ross, How much popcorn do you use before you replenish the Budweiser?.. :lol:

Relief is just a click away......
That question is OFF TOPIC Harry.
Now, if you would have asked Ross...
How much oil, and what kind, do you pop your corn in....
Well, that would have been ON TOPIC.
:lol: :lol:
KA7W wrote:
Would the price of the oil determine its workability ??
Hey Tom. I prefer to use "illegal oil" as I find you can "work it harder" for "less money". :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Any of you have hard, concrete evidence of an OIL related engine failure?

That is an engine that seized or otherwise destroyed itself due to poor quality oil?

By far the majority of motorcycle owners never see anything close to 100,000 miles on their engines.

Me thinks the oil threads are much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
NJREF said:
Any of you have hard, concrete evidence of an OIL related engine failure?

That is an engine that seized or otherwise destroyed itself due to poor quality oil?

By far the majority of motorcycle owners never see anything close to 100,000 miles on their engines.

Me thinks the oil threads are much ado about nothing.
Well, it doesn't actually qualify under your "due to poor quality" requirement...
But, a friend of mine bought an older "broken" wing and he figures it was
the roughly EIGHT QUARTS of oil that he drained out of the engine,
that was the cause of the hydraulic lock up that bent the rod. :oops:
I guess you could call that an oil related failure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
AMSOIL 3-5K whenever it is convient and I do not check the oil in between changes

·
Registered
636 Posts
I change oil and filter every 8000 miles (when I remember). The longest I've gone is 12000 miles. I've used Amsoil and Mobil 1. I now use the Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic because of its price and availablility (you're always near a Walmart).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts